Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY fans: Can Holmes run the table?

Featured Replies

IMO, Boone has the best chance to pull the upset since the game is at Boone. They have the guards able to take care of the basketball and can slow the pace down vs. Holmes to have a chance to pull the upset. The Rebels will have to hit over 50% from the floor to beat the Dawgs. Boone is certainly better than Conner and the Cougars gave the Dawgs the closest game of any NKY team so far this year.

  • Replies 52
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very possible to imagine this team getting themselves to Rupp without an additional loss..........but let's not forget that B-ball is a funny game sometimes. (Just look at the college ranks this week !) Any of the teams mentioned are a legitimate threat to put a blemish but don't discount that upset from anywhere........lest we forget that just last year Holmes escaped their last 'legitimate threat" with a great OT victory at Highlands only to have NewCath sneak up on them the next week. Sometimes that actually gives you focus......maybe we should be asking do they need to lose before Rupp !;)

  • Author
IMO, Boone has the best chance to pull the upset since the game is at Boone. They have the guards able to take care of the basketball and can slow the pace down vs. Holmes to have a chance to pull the upset. The Rebels will have to hit over 50% from the floor to beat the Dawgs. Boone is certainly better than Conner and the Cougars gave the Dawgs the closest game of any NKY team so far this year.

 

I think Highlands has the best chance at knocking off Holmes. Boone lacks the depth that's needed to beat a team like Holmes. Highlands on the other hand can be very physical with Holmes and force them to play physical back which could get them in foul trouble. I also think Highlands overall is a more athletic team than Boone.

 

Boone certainly is better than Conner but honestly it's more about the match ups than who beats who and Boone doesn't match up well with Holmes at all.

It is very possible to imagine this team getting themselves to Rupp without an additional loss..........but let's not forget that B-ball is a funny game sometimes. (Just look at the college ranks this week !) Any of the teams mentioned are a legitimate threat to put a blemish but don't discount that upset from anywhere........lest we forget that just last year Holmes escaped their last 'legitimate threat" with a great OT victory at Highlands only to have NewCath sneak up on them the next week. Sometimes that actually gives you focus......maybe we should be asking do they need to lose before Rupp !;)

 

Very true. Whether they enter postseason play with 1 or more losses, Holmes will bring that extra fire to the hardwood every night when it's tourney show time. So, losing before Rupp will not make them any more or less likely to bring home the big trophy. It would be a shocker to me if Holmes does not win the 9th this year, but not a shocker for them to lose another game before the tourney begins.

  • Author

On a side note, with Holmes being ranked #24 and #29, respectively, in two national polls, is this the highest ranked team ever out of NKY?

I would agree with you about match-ups and that HHS probably presents the best chance to match-up with Holmes. But, not sure they would be up to the task visiting at Holmes or on the big stage at NKU. I think it is more likely to be someone else on the schedule and even more likely to not happen at all. If Holmes doesn't get overconfident, they may get a scare but won't lose to a local.

 

I don't recall others polling that high................it usually takes at least back to back seasons of success and/or national powers on the schedule to get that attention. Great job Dawgs getting your just due............:ylsuper:

I think Highlands has the best chance at knocking off Holmes. Boone lacks the depth that's needed to beat a team like Holmes. Highlands on the other hand can be very physical with Holmes and force them to play physical back which could get them in foul trouble. I also think Highlands overall is a more athletic team than Boone.

 

Boone certainly is better than Conner but honestly it's more about the match ups than who beats who and Boone doesn't match up well with Holmes at all.

 

Curious why you think Highlands has depth and Boone doesn't. Also, how does Highlands match up better? Also, which players on Highlands do you consider more athletic than Boone's players? I agree Highlands is always very physical if the refs let them get away with it.

I predict a Holmes loss on Febuary 13th. Things have a way of repeating themselves. They have lost to this team 4 out of the last 5.

 

 

With all do respect to the 9th region, I believe the only Team that can beat Holmes, is Holmes themselves.

They will have one loss when they had to Rupp.

 

And one loss when they head back home. :thumb:

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

And one loss when they head back home. :thumb:

 

 

That would be fantastic. Not to beat a :deadhorse: but let's get there first.

  • Author
Curious why you think Highlands has depth and Boone doesn't. Also, how does Highlands match up better? Also, which players on Highlands do you consider more athletic than Boone's players? I agree Highlands is always very physical if the refs let them get away with it.

 

Boone probably only goes 6 or 7 deep without a drop off from what I've seen.

 

Highlands can go 9 or 10 deep and be fine because ALL of their players play tough defense. Their depth inside with Grubbs, Dill, and Watson really takes a toll on teams. (See Boone Co.) I feel Highlands matches up better with Holmes because they're just simply more physical than Boone. It takes a physical team to be able to rebound with and defend Holmes and I just don't see Boone being that team. They aren't aggressive enough offensively to get Holmes in foul trouble, which to be honest is the only way I see any NKY team beating them.

 

And I'd say the only player in Boone's lineup more athletic than the Highlands kids would be McFarland over Dill. Popp/Gabbard and Gordon/Grote are pretty much mirror images of one another. Watson is MUCH more athletic than Earls.

 

I know you probably aren't going to agree with me on that assessment, but we'll know more here in about two weeks when Holmes plays both Boone and Highlands in a 5 day span.

Boone probably only goes 6 or 7 deep without a drop off from what I've seen.

 

Highlands can go 9 or 10 deep and be fine because ALL of their players play tough defense. Their depth inside with Grubbs, Dill, and Watson really takes a toll on teams. (See Boone Co.) I feel Highlands matches up better with Holmes because they're just simply more physical than Boone. It takes a physical team to be able to rebound with and defend Holmes and I just don't see Boone being that team. They aren't aggressive enough offensively to get Holmes in foul trouble, which to be honest is the only way I see any NKY team beating them.

 

And I'd say the only player in Boone's lineup more athletic than the Highlands kids would be McFarland over Dill. Popp/Gabbard and Gordon/Grote are pretty much mirror images of one another. Watson is MUCH more athletic than Earls.

 

I know you probably aren't going to agree with me on that assessment, but we'll know more here in about two weeks when Holmes plays both Boone and Highlands in a 5 day span.

 

Neither will beat Holmes. Highlands just isn't good enough.

  • Author
Neither will beat Holmes. Highlands just isn't good enough.

 

I agree with you...I was just stating I think Highlands will probably give Holmes a better game than Boone will, just like last year.

IMO Holmes will lose to a hot shooting team in the regionals.

IMO Holmes will lose to a hot shooting team in the regionals.

 

I just don't see anyone in the 9th that could get hot enough to beat Holmes.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.