Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question about physical play

Featured Replies

In the last eight days, two 10th region players have been literally knocked out of games - Pawsat in the Mason-Scott County game last Friday, and Rogers in the Clark County-LCA game today. On neither occasion was a foul called.

 

With three officials, how does this happen? I know that the BBA has the reputation of "letting the boys play", is this just a case of "watching the ball"?

 

Just curious how this gets missed, and maybe it happens more often than I ever thought.

In the last eight days, two 10th region players have been literally knocked out of games - Pawsat in the Mason-Scott County game last Friday, and Rogers in the Clark County-LCA game today. On neither occasion was a foul called.

 

With three officials, how does this happen? I know that the BBA has the reputation of "letting the boys play", is this just a case of "watching the ball"?

 

Just curious how this gets missed, and maybe it happens more often than I ever thought.

 

I think some officials are lazy and let too many things go. It makes the game faster when there's not as many calls and they can go home earlier.The game today at Clark vs Lex Christian was very rough until Cory got hurt and after that they really tightened up on their calls. :ylsuper:

The 10th is always a physical competetive region and ref's sometimes watch the game more than do there job's I think this was the case in the GRC vs LCA game today no foul was called on a play where Rogers came down with a rebound and a LCA player climbed his back an accidentally hit him in the nose from behind the LCA player also accidentally elbowed Corey in the back of the head. How there was no foul called on the play I don't understand! Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for all ref's in the state to step up and do there job to the best they can and always do there job!

  • Author

I know NOTHING about how officials associations operate. Do you (the collective BGP audience) think that the "powers-that-be" in the BBA will try to make it a point of emphasis to watch the elbows? Maybe say something before each game to the coaches/captains? I mean, young men are really taking some lumps out there.

 

And this is not necessarily a knock on the officials; in fact, I prefer letting the kids play as long as no one is gaining an advantage.

The worst officiated games are when there's 3 refs. I think they have a tendancy to let the other guy make the call, but nobody does.

The way games are being refereed is taking skill out of the game in favor of athleticism and/or strength. I see way too many situations where both hands are in a players back pushing when a player is in a box out situation for example. This is not just high school, but college as well.

 

I saw a guy riding another players body, and I mean hard, as soon as he crossed the mid-court line Friday night. Even when he just stood at the three point line, the player started pushing on him like he was in the post. I didn't really see the point of it, unless he is trying to get in the other players head. Seemed to me like he was trying to instigate something and should have been warned. When this same player was getting pushed out of the post, and he didn't like it, he threw two wild elbows luckily to the chest not the head, but they weren't seen either.

 

I am sure we could all go on. Yesterday, right in front of a ref, a player was boxed out so he just put both hands on the players jersey in front of him and yanked him out of the way and got a put back. It was very obvious. This was with three refs.

 

I have refereed before, and I know it is not easy. There is no disrespect intended, but I think the game is getting out of hand and the rules were there to protect the integrity of the game...a skill game.

The way games are being refereed is taking skill out of the game in favor of athleticism and/or strength. I see way too many situations where both hands are in a players back pushing when a player is in a box out situation for example. This is not just high school, but college as well.

 

I saw a guy riding another players body, and I mean hard, as soon as he crossed the mid-court line Friday night. Even when he just stood at the three point line, the player started pushing on him like he was in the post. I didn't really see the point of it, unless he is trying to get in the other players head. Seemed to me like he was trying to instigate something and should have been warned. When this same player was getting pushed out of the post, and he didn't like it, he threw two wild elbows luckily to the chest not the head, but they weren't seen either.

 

I am sure we could all go on. Yesterday, right in front of a ref, a player was boxed out so he just put both hands on the players jersey in front of him and yanked him out of the way and got a put back. It was very obvious. This was with three refs.

 

I have refereed before, and I know it is not easy. There is no disrespect intended, but I think the game is getting out of hand and the rules were there to protect the integrity of the game...a skill game.

 

Couldn't have said it better. The game is more like an organized brawl now.

The way games are being refereed is taking skill out of the game in favor of athleticism and/or strength. I see way too many situations where both hands are in a players back pushing when a player is in a box out situation for example. This is not just high school, but college as well.

 

I saw a guy riding another players body, and I mean hard, as soon as he crossed the mid-court line Friday night. Even when he just stood at the three point line, the player started pushing on him like he was in the post. I didn't really see the point of it, unless he is trying to get in the other players head. Seemed to me like he was trying to instigate something and should have been warned. When this same player was getting pushed out of the post, and he didn't like it, he threw two wild elbows luckily to the chest not the head, but they weren't seen either.

 

I am sure we could all go on. Yesterday, right in front of a ref, a player was boxed out so he just put both hands on the players jersey in front of him and yanked him out of the way and got a put back. It was very obvious. This was with three refs.

 

I have refereed before, and I know it is not easy. There is no disrespect intended, but I think the game is getting out of hand and the rules were there to protect the integrity of the game...a skill game.

 

 

I agree, especially with the bold.

In the last eight days, two 10th region players have been literally knocked out of games - Pawsat in the Mason-Scott County game last Friday, and Rogers in the Clark County-LCA game today. On neither occasion was a foul called.

 

With three officials, how does this happen? I know that the BBA has the reputation of "letting the boys play", is this just a case of "watching the ball"?

 

Just curious how this gets missed, and maybe it happens more often than I ever thought.

 

How you guys get three, I've seen three ref's not even half of Holme's games.

Couldn't have said it better. The game is more like an organized brawl now.

 

I thought the consensus was that the 9th region calls it too tight??

How you guys get three, I've seen three ref's not even half of Holme's games.

 

If I am not mistaken the home team determines whether you get two or three officials.

I thought hand checking was going to be a point of emphasis this year but I have been to many games where a defenders hand is literally "glued" to the offensive players hip and no warning or foul occurs. The only time many officials get involved with blowing their whistle is when an injury or a fight is about to break out. This is unfortunate but it is a trend that is repeated in the college and pro games also.

I thought the consensus was that the 9th region calls it too tight??

 

I'd say too inconsistent. You'll have fists and elbows at one end with no call, and a hand check 40 ft from the basket at the other end. At the Boone/Highlands girls game, they removed the 3 sec. lane violation out of the book. We counted Boones post player in the lane 8 secs on one trip. 3 refs at that one. All of the down state teams at the Vi Gerding classic at HHS, said they would not be back. I don't blame them. 9th region refs are hacks. Have been for some time. Oh anyone want to invite me to give it a try. Don't bother. I have given my time in a different way:thumb:

I'm not too familiar with either of these two instances, but I don't think it should just be assumed the referees missed a call because within the rules you are able to elbow someone. If you have the ball held in your hands with your elbows out and someone is right on top of you, you are able to move your elbows no quicker than your torso if they're in your way. But I will say that I don't think that would knock someone out, so I believe your probably correct about just plain poor officiating.

If I am not mistaken the home team determines whether you get two or three officials.

 

Correct. Just depends on what they want to pay for.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.