Transition for the Obama family to DC

GaViking

Actually, just this evening, I was reading a story in National Geographic that said the president is billed for all of the food he and his family eat in the White House. Just like in a hotel, or restaurant; with the exception being state dinners or special events. The story said that most administrations complain about how high the prices are. They are also billed for their dry cleaning and laundry.

That is horrible.

But I guess Obama and wife will not being eating those snacks like the did on the campaign trail....you know the lobster and Dom and all................

lol I'll be honest, who cares? It's the girls grandma so she just wants to be around them I'm sure.

I'm sick of hearing/reading about them going to school and blah blah. EVERYONE goes to school at some point. I've started at new schools eight times in my life, and no one wrote about me :( lol.

I don't think it's horrible. But I was suprised they have to pay.

The most stressful job in the world and he eats on his own dime?

Horrible.

President - currently earns $400,000 per year, along with a $50,000 expense account, a $100,000 nontaxable travel account and $19,000 for entertainment.

I did not know the last POTUS to get lifetime Secret Service protection was Clinton.

I believe stories like this about any President are betean into the ground, like the Obama's selection of a dog. It shows that too many reporters are not very good at their jobs.

But I have given some thought to this thread. I believe in the family and I think this is a goog role modeling example for all Americans of how families help each other. The black youths of America have an example of a full family, mom, children and dad. They need a role model and here is a good one. Hopefuuly this may spur more of these young people to create lasting families.

Actually, just this evening, I was reading a story in National Geographic that said the president is billed for all of the food he and his family eat in the White House. Just like in a hotel, or restaurant; with the exception being state dinners or special events. The story said that most administrations complain about how high the prices are. They are also billed for their dry cleaning and laundry.

I figured it all was a perk!!!:idunno:

Horrible.

President - currently earns $400,000 per year, along with a $50,000 expense account, a $100,000 nontaxable travel account and $19,000 for entertainment.

I did not know the last POTUS to get lifetime Secret Service protection was Clinton.

So W. will not get lifetime protection?

Horrible.

These sound like pretty good perks to me. And I agree, the job is most definitely stressful, but I'm thinking that any job that regularly puts your life in danger to be a tad more stressful. Specifically, military personnel on the front line come to mind. Think about it: The POTUS has a shield of Secret Service Agents that are able to significantly reduce (though not eliminate) the risk to his life. So, I'm guessing the POTUS can, for the most part, sleep peacefully at night and is not walking around in a constant state of fear for his life. If I had to guess (tossing qualifications aside, of course) I bet lots of people who are currently involved in combat operations would switch jobs with the POTUS in a heartbeat.

Any idea how it is decided who gets lifetime protection and who doesn't?

All Presidents got Lifetime protection until the Dems. decided it was too expensive. Clinton will be the last unless it is changed.