Red Sox near agreements with Baldelli, Smoltz

I think both would be nice signings for the Red Sox. They dont need to go out and spend hundreds of millions of dollars when they can make signings such as these. Remember just because you "buy" top players and throw them all together doesnt mean your an instant winner or have success.

I think both would be nice signings for the Red Sox. They dont need to go out and spend hundreds of millions of dollars when they can make signings such as these. Remember just because you "buy" top players and throw them all together doesnt mean your an instant winner or have success.

These are two great clubhouse guys. The Red Sox have a very good clubhouse and probably more grinders than any team in the majors.

These are two great clubhouse guys. The Red Sox have a very good clubhouse and probably more grinders than any team in the majors.

Thats why I feel their succesful. They dont throw all stars together and expect them to mesh. They bring in guys they know will bond with the ones already there. Plug in proven players, all stars, and some guys that have worked there way through the minors and you have a better chance of good team chemistry then all stars thrown together expecting to win right away.

I think the bullpen affords Smoltz the best chance to stay healthy and contribute, much like Kerry Wood's status about three years ago. I just don't know that he can stay in the rotation for an entire season.

Baldelli could be a steal for the Sox.

I think the bullpen affords Smoltz the best chance to stay healthy and contribute, much like Kerry Wood's status about three years ago. I just don't know that he can stay in the rotation for an entire season.

Baldelli could be a steal for the Sox.

If Brad Penny is anywhere near his 2006-07 form they won't need Smoltz in the rotation. He, along with Manny Delcarmen, Hideki Okajima, Javier Lopez and Justin Masterson would set up for Papelbon--that would be a very solid bullpen and really shorten the game. If Penny is ineffective Masterson would move to the rotation unless Bowden is ready at the beginning of the year.