Red Sox near agreements with Baldelli, Smoltz

It's clear, though, that with a $5M minimum salary, the Red Sox are looking at Smoltz as a starter. That would make him an awfully high-priced middle and/or setup guy.

It will probably be June before he's ready to go. Hopefully Penny and/or Wakefield will be effective enough to at least keep Masterson in the pen until Smoltz can go. If both prove to be effective there is a chance the Sox could go with a 6 man rotation--they toyed around with that idea last season until it became clear that Colon was not going to be able to be counted on.

I like Baldelli but who knows if he will be serviceable. His disorder is weird.

And yes, before you say it AverageJoes, of course the Boston front office knows better than me. :lol:

:lol::lol: No, I think you've got a good point. I'm sure they think its going to be okay but how can they really know. If they don't have any major injuries they really only need him to play against tough lefthanders to give Ellsbury and Drew a day off here (especially Drew he needs about a day off a week) and there and to pinch hit since all 3 of their outfielders are good defensively. If he can do that he'll be an excellent 4th outfielder.

I guess I'll have to turn into a full Red Sox fan for Smoltz, but from a sentimental standpoint that is a devastating development. He has spent his entire major league career with the Braves (minor league some with Tigers), and I don't know how I'll react to seeing him in another uniform.

A healthy Smoltz would be a huge addition for the Red Sox. Assuming Beckett returns to form, look at what a post-season rotation they could throw at you...

Beckett, Dice-K, Lester and Smoltz...with Pap closing. With all those guys healthy, I'd like my chances in any series, especially a 7 game series.

Beckett and Smoltz are two of the best big game pitchers in baseball history...and Lester and Dice-K should only build off what they've already done and get better. Smoltz could also help with the bullpen since he's shown he can thrive in that role as well.

:lol::lol: No, I think you've got a good point. I'm sure they think its going to be okay but how can they really know. If they don't have any major injuries they really only need him to play against tough lefthanders to give Ellsbury and Drew a day off here (especially Drew he needs about a day off a week) and there and to pinch hit since all 3 of their outfielders are good defensively. If he can do that he'll be an excellent 4th outfielder.

True. I am interested to see what the terms of the contract are. I guess I didn't think about the fact that he would be a 4th outfielder rather than a starter- but the talent of the Red Sox outfield and his condition might make it the best fit for him. Nevertheless, I think he has the talent to be a big time starter in the MLB, and it is unfortunate that his condition has relegated him to being a backup.

I guess I'll have to turn into a full Red Sox fan for Smoltz, but from a sentimental standpoint that is a devastating development. He has spent his entire major league career with the Braves (minor league some with Tigers), and I don't know how I'll react to seeing him in another uniform.

Just pretend the Braves moved back to Boston. :D

True. I am interested to see what the terms of the contract are. I guess I didn't think about the fact that he would be a 4th outfielder rather than a starter- but the talent of the Red Sox outfield and his condition might make it the best fit for him. Nevertheless, I think he has the talent to be a big time starter in the MLB, and it is unfortunate that his condition has relegated him to being a backup.

He's supposed to be doing much better with his condition. Hopefully, (and I'd say this whether he plays for the Sox or not because he seems like a very good guy) he will progress to the point where he can play everyday if needed. With Papi, Ellsbury and Drew all being left handed (and Drew's injury history and the uncertainty surrounding Papi's wrist) there are several at bats available if he shows he can be effective. I could see him starting 2-3 games a week and getting some other at bats as a pinch hitter. I'll reserve any optimism until we see what spring training brings.

He's supposed to be doing much better with his condition. Hopefully, (and I'd say this whether he plays for the Sox or not because he seems like a very good guy) he will progress to the point where he can play everyday if needed. With Papi, Ellsbury and Drew all being left handed (and Drew's injury history and the uncertainty surrounding Papi's wrist) there are several at bats available if he shows he can be effective. I could see him starting 2-3 games a week and getting some other at bats as a pinch hitter. I'll reserve any optimism until we see what spring training brings.

I hope you are right. I haven't been following but I was under the impression that his condition was pretty much something that he has to deal with, not something will go away or get much better.

I hope you are right. I haven't been following but I was under the impression that his condition was pretty much something that he has to deal with, not something will go away or get much better.

Supposedly he was misdiagnosed with mitochondrial disorder, which is incurable and possibly fatal. Instead it is channelopathy which is non-progressive and very treatable.