Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question for everyone

Featured Replies

Do Head Coaches have to take a rules test? I know officials take some type of test, but do Head Coaches have to take a test? If not, do you think they should?

They should have to take a test on the rules. Some have no clue. (refs and coaches that is...........:laugh:)

Do Head Coaches have to take a rules test? I know officials take some type of test, but do Head Coaches have to take a test? If not, do you think they should?

 

I would DEMAND that my coach take a rules test before I would hire him. If he didn't know the rules then he sure shouldn't be teaching the game.

As a former referee I know that I refereed games with officials that did not know or completely understand the rules.

  • Author
Rules clinics are held during the year for all sports.

 

for example: http://officials.khsaa.org/20082009/bkclinics.pdf

 

Rules clinics are clinics, not tests. I've been to a few rules clinics and the only rules that are covered in those are rules changes and do's and don'ts during the year.

Wouldn't make any difference to me wether they took a test or not. Coaches are required to attend a rules clinic given by the state. That's it.

 

All of the KHSAA tests I took are open book tests, so what is the point? When you can look up answers that you are uncertain of, the whole taking the test thing loses merit.

Wouldn't make any difference to me wether they took a test or not. Coaches are required to attend a rules clinic given by the state. That's it.

 

All of the KHSAA tests I took are open book tests, so what is the point? When you can look up answers that you are uncertain of, the whole taking the test thing loses merit.

 

Even with an open book after you look up answers you are uncertain of, you will then know the rule and be certain of it. Test for coaches would be a good idea IMO.

I know the KBA works with a lot of officials during the summer. They work on rules, signals, floor placement, and the mechanics. I also noticed during some summer camps that a head ref would work with several "Jr" refs concerning the same items

  • Author
I know the KBA works with a lot of officials during the summer. They work on rules, signals, floor placement, and the mechanics. I also noticed during some summer camps that a head ref would work with several "Jr" refs concerning the same items

 

I'm not really concerned about officials in this case. I just think that Head Coaches should KNOW the rules of the sport they are coaching!

I'm not really concerned about officials in this case. I just think that Head Coaches should KNOW the rules of the sport they are coaching!

 

They know a lot of the rules. They simply don't know the finer points of them.

 

Many don't understand the full extent of the backcourt violation rule.

Many don't understand the concept of a fumble as it relates to a double dribble.

Many don't understand that simply because it looks funny its not automatically a travel violation.

 

However, their job is to get their team ready to play so learning the rules is not a high priority for them.

  • Author
They know a lot of the rules. They simply don't know the finer points of them.

 

Many don't understand the full extent of the backcourt violation rule.

Many don't understand the concept of a fumble as it relates to a double dribble.

Many don't understand that simply because it looks funny its not automatically a travel violation.

 

However, their job is to get their team ready to play so learning the rules is not a high priority for them.

 

I see what you are saying, but how about this:

I coach a sport. Each year before my kids can even tryout, they have to pass a rules test. My dad also told me, "Son, how can you play a game if you don't know the rules!?!?" I think the same thing is true of coaching basketball. How can you coach your kids if you don't know the rules?

I see what you are saying, but how about this:

I coach a sport. Each year before my kids can even tryout, they have to pass a rules test. My dad also told me, "Son, how can you play a game if you don't know the rules!?!?" I think the same thing is true of coaching basketball. How can you coach your kids if you don't know the rules?

 

Coaches "know" the rules. They just don't know all of them.

  • Author
Coaches "know" the rules. They just don't know all of them.

 

I agree. But do you agree that they should know the basics? Such as:

1. When the closely guarded count starts and stops.

2. There can't be a 3 second violation when the ball is in the air on a shot.

3. Both feet AND the ball have to cross midcourt before an over-and-back can be called.

I could go on, but I've got stuff to do.:D

I agree. But do you agree that they should know the basics? Such as:

1. When the closely guarded count starts and stops.

2. There can't be a 3 second violation when the ball is in the air on a shot.

3. Both feet AND the ball have to cross midcourt before an over-and-back can be called.

I could go on, but I've got stuff to do.:D

 

They should know the basics. If they do not know the basics the problem goes back to "How did he/she get hired?" Or are we talking about volunteers?

Coaches have to attend a rules clinic once a year, take a coaching education program once a career, and within that class and test is a KHSAA Bylaw test. The bylaw test is not sport specific though.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.