Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"Lettering" in Football

Featured Replies

I am curious to find out the way different schools determine if a player "letters" in football. When I was in school an athlete had to play a certain amount of time on the Varsity Team in order to "letter" Thoughts?

When I played, you had to play at least one play in one third of the quarters for the regular season. At least that is what I think the number was.

It was done by some ratio of plays to quarters when I played.

 

I lettered my freshman year by doing nothing but playing special teams and a few defensive plays.

delete.

At my high school there was some sort of ratio of time played or number of plays. So a lot of guys didn't letter until their junior or senior years unless they were really good or on special teams.

At my brothers high school they lettered just by simply being part of the team--dressing and practicing.

At my high school there was some sort of ratio of time played or number of plays. So a lot of guys didn't letter until their junior or senior years unless they were really good or on special teams.

At my brothers high school they lettered just by simply being part of the team--dressing and practicing.

 

In order to letter you have to "appear" in 24 varsity quarters. I no what your thinking and the answer is yes, one play in a quarter counts as an apperance.

I thought at Conner it was 20 quarters to letter, I may be wrong.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

When I played, you had to play at least one play in one third of the quarters for the regular season. At least that is what I think the number was.

 

Did they have facemask back then?:lol:

 

Back in the day we had to have 24 qtrs. to earn an R

Did they have facemask back then?:lol:

 

Back in the day we had to have 24 qtrs. to earn an R

Glass houses my friend, glass houses.:D

It's usually 24 quarters at the majority of the schools.

Did they have facemask back then?:lol:

 

That's funny stuff right there!! :laugh:

To letter in Rockcastle, you have to play in 22 quarters or 5 and one half games. At least that is what one player told me. With or without a facemask...:lol:

That's funny stuff right there!! :laugh:

Don't let him fool you, he is 17 years my elder.

  • Author

At Greenup you just have to participate (even Freshman letter without playing any Varsity games.) One student will letter this year who never played a single game, was injured (off the football field) and never showed up to any practices or games. If it is so easy to get where is the pride in earning it?

I'm pretty sure that the school dictates the rule requirements, but think that 24 Q's is standard for most

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.