Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should a team keep 11 Juniors?

Featured Replies

Should a team keep 11 juniors if the majority of the talent at the school is in that class?

  • Replies 41
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wouldn't they? Let the ones in the lower classes play JV and Freshman ball, and bring up as needed. IMO, you put your best team on the floor and on the bench regardless of class.

The best 12 players make up the team.

Should a team keep 11 juniors if the majority of the talent at the school is in that class?

 

I say you have to keep the best players, no matter what grade they happen to be. You can't penalize someone just because they happen to be a member of a talent rich class.

I personally dont think you should keep that many especially if you have kids in the Senior class that can contribute and help. I think keeping 7/8 of a loaded class sets you up for the following year enough. I dont have a problem with playing the best players though.

 

My problem is when you cut 2-3 seniors who have been with the program for 3/4 yrs and dedicated themselves and then you keep 11 jr's.

Why wouldn't they? Let the ones in the lower classes play JV and Freshman ball, and bring up as needed. IMO, you put your best team on the floor and on the bench regardless of class.

 

I respectfully disagree. After that class moves through you have no varsity experience and are starting at ground zero. To be able to reload every year, you must have parity in the top 3 classes.

  • Author

I agree with those who say you play the best 12-15 but what if keeping that many from one class causes other kids who could be contributers in later years, to not play at all because they don't make the team as an underclassmen, even though they could probably contribute some as a soph?

 

I know Largo, Md (a team Holmes plays this year) graduated I believe 11 or 12 seniors this past year. They NEVER play underclassmen. (soph and frosh)

 

Is that good for a program?

Top 15 players dress no matter what the class.

  • Author
I personally dont think you should keep that many especially if you have kids in the Senior class that can contribute and help. I dont have a problem with playing the best players though. My problem is when you cut 2-3 seniors who have been with the program for 3/4 yrs and dedicated themselves and then you keep 11 jr's.

 

Agreed.

Bingo.

In other words, you were answer shopping.

  • Author
In other words, you were answer shopping.

 

Not necessarily. So I edited my post to keep it from looking that way.

 

I just wanted to see what everyone's feelings are on keeping that many from one class when there are other kids with 2 or 3 years of experience who could contribute as seniors, but now most likely won't play because of the fact that the coach may potentially keep 11 juniors.

Top 15 players dress no matter what the class.

 

That is such an easy answer but doesnt always help a program. I can think of a program who has been in a pattern of being very good every 2 yrs but still no regional championships. There have been some very good players in those classes, in fact a few that have gone on to earn full B-Ball scholarships. Overall though I would say the program hasnt gotten over the hump as being considered a legitimate contender year in year out. The every 2 yr pattern may not happen and then you are in a 3 or 4 yr pattern. Its a tough call and Im glad its not my problem. LOL

Not necessarily. So I edited my post to keep it from looking that way.

 

I just wanted to see what everyone's feelings are on keeping that many from one class when there are other kids with 2 or 3 years of experience who could contribute as seniors, but now most likely won't play because of the fact that the coach may potentially keep 11 juniors.

 

Add that the soph class will disappear also. The only way I would advocate keeping any more than 7 in a class is, that you are dead sure that class will win you a regional title. You are in essence putting all of your eggs in one basket.

I agree with those who say you play the best 12-15 but what if keeping that many from one class causes other kids who could be contributers in later years, to not play at all because they don't make the team as an underclassmen, even though they could probably contribute some as a soph?

 

I know Largo, Md (a team Holmes plays this year) graduated I believe 11 or 12 seniors this past year. They NEVER play underclassmen. (soph and frosh)

 

Is that good for a program?

Here is my two cents:

 

I think it is bad to keep 11 players in one class on varsity simply because it gives the other classes no varsity experience, and therefore hurts the program. Then again, if you consistently only play seniors, then by the time the next class gets to that level, they have played together for years already, which can help as well.

  • Author
Add that the soph class will disappear also. The only way I would advocate keeping any more than 7 in a class is, that you are dead sure that class will win you a regional title. You are in essence putting all of your eggs in one basket.

 

And IMO the soph class is the most important one to develop. I know they can play JV but if they can see that they won't see any varsity time at all until they are seniors, that really discourages them from playing.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.