Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UNC's Roy Williams

Featured Replies

He did underachieve at Kansas in the Big Dance, but after winning it all at UNC, the monkey is off his back.

 

 

Without his players.

  • Replies 63
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many #1 seeds did he have @ Kansas?

 

How many times was his teams rated in the top 10 going into the tourney?

 

How many FF did he have?

 

How many NC did he have @ Kansas?

 

I think Roy had #1 seeds in '96, '97 and maybe '98. Was he #2 see I think in '03 and they upset Duke a #1? Was the '92 team a #1 seed or #2?

 

He was a lower seed in '91 when he went to the Final Four, a #2 seed in '93 when he beat the #1 seed to go to the Final Four.

 

Final Fours were: 1991, 1993, 2003 (was there one other?).

 

He got to the Final game at least twice I think.

 

 

How many #1 seeds did Pitino have at UK? 4 maybe and #2 or #3 two other times.

 

How many times has Duke blown a #1 seed, is K a choker?

 

I'm not Tar Heel fan by any means (I live down here for Pete's sake) but I don't think he deserves any derision for his record.

Without his players.

 

True, he took an underachieving group of kids and made the national champs... :thumb:

 

Marvin Williams was his recruit.

He had the best team in the country numerous times at KU, and choked it away every time. He's had the best team in the country at UNC more than once, and has choked it away. He won his title with Matt's players. If that arguement is used against Tubby, then I'm darn sure going to use it against Roy.

He had the best team in the country numerous times at KU, and choked it away every time. He's had the best team in the country at UNC more than once, and has choked it away. He won his title with Matt's players. If that arguement is used against Tubby, then I'm darn sure going to use it against Roy.

 

I thought Tubby was a good coach.

 

Tubby had players that had already won a title and final four experience.

  • Author
He had the best team in the country numerous times at KU, and choked it away every time. He's had the best team in the country at UNC more than once, and has choked it away. He won his title with Matt's players. If that arguement is used against Tubby, then I'm darn sure going to use it against Roy.

 

Is he one of the top recruiter's in the country?

Is he one of the top recruiter's in the country?

 

Yeah, he's one of the best recruiters, but with the talent he's had over the years it's a crime that he's only won 1 title.

Yeah, he's one of the best recruiters, but with the talent he's had over the years it's a crime that he's only won 1 title.

 

I see more coming... :D

I see more coming... :D

 

It isn't going to come this year....:D

It isn't going to come this year....:D

 

I am hoping so... :D

  • Author

UKMF, Do you think Tubby is a great coach?

I don't get the, "He'll blow it" label. Please enlighten me...

 

I don't either. Instead, he should be labeled "Buckets" cause I've never seen anyone outside of Dick Vermeil cry like that every time his teams get beat out of the big dance.

UKMF, Do you think Tubby is a great coach?

 

Great coach, no. Very good, yes. IMO, Tubby is a better coach than Roy, Roy a much better recruiter.

I thought Tubby was a good coach.

 

Tubby had players that had already won a title and final four experience.

 

The team Roy Williams won it with, was more talented than the team Tubby won it with. Yeah Tubby took over UK after two straight finals. But that 1998 team was not full of stars like the two previous teams. That 1998 team definitely overachieved. They wasn't one of the top 5 most talented teams in the country that year, and maybe not even top 10. Only two players really had pro careers and that was both centers.

 

That UNC team yeah their freshman year they didn't do so well. But did you see the key word there. They were freshman and had no supporting cast with them. McCants, May, and that PG who I can't think of his name right now, were more talented than any of the guys on the 98 team for UK.

 

So if people are going to say Tubby doesn't get the credit for the 98 team because it wasn't his own players, then Roy Williams sure don't deserve the credit for the title he won since it wasn't his players.

 

I am a Roy Williams fan actually, and love how he coaches. But if people are going to use that against Tubby. Then they should also use that against him.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.