Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UNC's Roy Williams

Featured Replies

I don't get the, "He'll blow it" label. Please enlighten me...

  • Replies 63
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a UNC fan, I love having Roy as the coach. There is not another coach I would have over him.

  • Author
As a UNC fan, I love having Roy as the coach. There is not another coach I would have over him.

 

I'm with you.

 

I think I know where the label came from but I'll let some people respond.

I'm with you.

 

I think I know where the label came from but I'll let some people respond.

 

He won the big one a few years ago, so I think the Monkey is off his back.

He won the big one a few years ago, so I think the Monkey is off his back.

 

 

He won with Somebody elses players didnt he? He has never won a Title with his players. The 97 Kansas team was loaded and didnt even make the FF

  • Author

That's exactly what I thought someone would say.

 

So...

 

1) If you win a national title within four years of coaching, you aren't a good coach...

 

2) If you don't win it one year that you're supposed to, you aren't a good coach...

 

These are the only two things I've ever heard about him and he's labeled by a lot of people, particularly on BGP, as a choker.

 

If that's the case, there aren't very many good coaches in any sport at any level. I think most underestimate the difficulty of winning a national title, especially if you're the prey all year....

He won with Somebody elses players didnt he? He has never won a Title with his players. The 97 Kansas team was loaded and didnt even make the FF

 

He won it with players the previous coach could not win with... He took a team that didn't make the tounament and 2 years later win it all. I think that is a great job...

I think most underestimate the difficulty of winning a national title, especially if you're the prey all year....

 

I think Florida ruined a lot of peoples perspectives on winning the title. It's an unbelievably hard task to accomplish once let alone twice or even god forbid twice in a row. There are so many other factors that play in to it that the coach can't control.

I think Roy erroneously was labeled that for what happened more at Kansas than UNC.

 

Pitino was labled much the same way until '96, as was many a great coach.

 

Kansas had some very bad upsets in the tourney. Off the top of my head was '92 I think in the early rounds. Also the loss in '96 to Syracuse in the Regional Finals coupled with the Sweet 16 exit to Arizona in '97 and an early round upset in '98. All those teams had players like Paul Pierce, Pollard, Jacques Vaughn, Raaf LaFrenz among others.

 

Lute Olsen was perceived the same way because of these kinds of tourney losses until '97 when it all fell together for him. People forget how difficult it is to win the NCAA and how a little break here or there helps you out. :thumb:

That's exactly what I thought someone would say.

 

So...

 

1) If you win a national title within four years of coaching, you aren't a good coach...

 

2) If you don't win it one year that you're supposed to, you aren't a good coach...

 

These are the only two things I've ever heard about him and he's labeled by a lot of people, particularly on BGP, as a choker.

 

If that's the case, there aren't very many good coaches in any sport at any level. I think most underestimate the difficulty of winning a national title, especially if you're the prey all year....

 

I agree with your points. By this kind of criteria then:

 

Sparky Anderson was a choker for '70, '72 and '73.

 

Don Shula was a choker for '71, '82 and '84.

 

King of chokers would be Digger Phelps. (Well that might support the theory. :D)

How many #1 seeds did he have @ Kansas?

 

How many times was his teams rated in the top 10 going into the tourney?

 

How many FF did he have?

 

How many NC did he have @ Kansas?

He won it with players the previous coach could not win with... He took a team that didn't make the tounament and 2 years later win it all. I think that is a great job...

 

 

 

What?

If he doesnt win it this year my point will be made even furthur.

How many #1 seeds did he have @ Kansas?

 

How many times was his teams rated in the top 10 going into the tourney?

 

How many FF did he have?

 

How many NC did he have @ Kansas?

 

He did underachieve at Kansas in the Big Dance, but after winning it all at UNC, the monkey is off his back.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.