Is Griffey Done?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had a nice diving catch tonight in centerfield.

The more I watched him play in Chicago, the more I realized how beneficial for both the Reds & the Kid. I love watching the Rays play & enjoy seeing "the little guy" win, but I must admit I was pulling for Griffey.

He's 2 years younger than I am with kids who are very active in sports. I'd think that he's got it made financially, I can't imagine what else he has to prove. Frankly, he may be a unanimous HOF selection, although some ignorant writer with a vote may veto that citing the "no one should be unanimous" schpeel. Injuries aside, he did things the right way. He made it to 600 without enhancements, and in his prime, he was the best player I ever saw, bar none. I wish he'd retire gracefully, live off of his business interests/endorsements, get a gig doing a few games with one of the networks and enjoy being there with his kids as much as possible. But, alas, I doubt any of that will happen. He'll hobble thru another season or 2. And someone will allow that because he'll put butts in the seat.

He's 2 years younger than I am with kids who are very active in sports. I'd think that he's got it made financially, I can't imagine what else he has to prove. Frankly, he may be a unanimous HOF selection, although some ignorant writer with a vote may veto that citing the "no one should be unanimous" schpeel. Injuries aside, he did things the right way. He made it to 600 without enhancements, and in his prime, he was the best player I ever saw, bar none. I wish he'd retire gracefully, live off of his business interests/endorsements, get a gig doing a few games with one of the networks and enjoy being there with his kids as much as possible. But, alas, I doubt any of that will happen. He'll hobble thru another season or 2. And someone will allow that because he'll put butts in the seat.

I agree with you a hundred percent, but because of the injuries in the past with the Reds I think he has a little chip on his shoulder because of his body betraying him over the last 6 to 7 years and he is going to try to play 2 or 3 more years and maybe try to win a ring if he can sign on with a contending team in the AL as a DH.

Is Ken Griffey Junior's career over?

Harold Reynolds said that he'd have to get his knee "fixed" in the offseason. Is there any way that the 38 year old Ken Griffey Junior comes back?

He struggled this postseason.

He struggled all season. We saw signs of it last year but JR is clearly not JR anymore.

He tries to push this out much further and he will end up going out in a manner similar to Willie Mays, who clearly hung around 2-3 years too long. Junior is but a shell of his former self. He made his mark on the game and it is now time to hang up the cleats. Unfortunatley, I think his ego will get in the way and he continue to attempt to play.