Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jim Brown = Loser

Featured Replies

  • Replies 34
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see no problem with it. All of the NFL players make money from it, why shouldn't Jim Brown get a cut of the action?

^ Why is suing the option though? Why not take it up with them personally behind closed doors?

 

 

If he did that and they didn't do anything, then I see nothing wrong with it..But really suing isn't always the only solution to something.

^ Why is suing the option though? Why not take it up with them personally behind closed doors?

 

 

If he did that and they didn't do anything, then I see nothing wrong with it..But really suing isn't always the only solution to something.

 

 

How do you know he didn't? I'm sure his lawyers contaced Sony and EA's about Jim's complaint before they filed a lawsuit. A lawsuit may have been the last resort.

  • Author

Can he win?

 

At issue is the starting running back on Madden's "All Browns Team." The character is African-American and bears the same jersey number Brown made famous -- number 32.

 

We know who it is but is it enough for the courts? I would think these companys know the laws on this.

I can understand this somewhat. A lot of guys that played back then didn't get the kind of money that the players do now. I'm not sure how much an NFL pension is but if the NFL Players Association gets money for video game rights the retirees should get a portion of it added to their pension if they are going to use their likenesses.

How do you know he didn't? I'm sure his lawyers contaced Sony and EA's about Jim's complaint before they filed a lawsuit. A lawsuit may have been the last resort.

 

That's what I'm saying...IF they did try and go behind closed doors then nothing was resolved, then I see nothing wrong with the lawsuit.

Jim Brown was a HOF football player, however IMHO he isn't a HOF person.

If Brown's lawsuit succeeds, it would almost assuredly lead to the end of historical and all-time teams in sports games, since it's impractical for EA to sign contracts with thousands of players. The possibility also exists that EA could sign a deal with retired players' unions, which might end up being the likeliest compromise.

 

http://www.ign.com

I've never ever been able to stand Jim Brown. I've never had any respect for him except what he did on the field. He's a loser in my book! It's always all about Jim Brown in his eyes.

Jim Brown has helped more people than just about any ex-athlete, so I would never classify him as a loser. I don't necessarily agree with lawsuit, but I understand it. There is a lot of money to be made and he wants his cut. EA shouldn't use unauthorized likenesses for their monetary benefit.

If someone went around using your likeness and making millions off of it, you would file a law suit too...you know you would.

Jim has a history of violence especially with women. He also has done a lot of good work with troubled youth.

 

Love him or hate him he has a right to be paid for using his likeness.

I mean lets be real though. Even though Madden 09 will make millions, you cannot honestly tell me that even a descent percentage of gamers are buying it just so they can play with the "Jim Brown" like character on the historic Browns team. I just think its one of those give me a break type things, and just for his personal benefit, Brown may in deed cost many gamers (who personally don't care about him or playing with his "like" character in the first place) a chance to play with historic and all star teams they really like to play with, and feel special to play with on occasions. However, like said who really looks to get the new madden for the historic teams anyway?........certainly not me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I mean lets be real though. Even though Madden 09 will make millions, you cannot honestly tell me that even a descent percentage of gamers are buying it just so they can play with the "Jim Brown" like character on the historic Browns team. I just think its one of those give me a break type things, and just for his personal benefit, Brown may in deed cost many gamers (who personally don't care about him or playing with his "like" character in the first place) a chance to play with historic and all star teams they really like to play with, and feel special to play with on occasions. However, like said who really looks to get the new madden for the historic teams anyway?........certainly not me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

 

It doesn't matter, it contains his likeness so his is entitled by law to the royalties.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.