Stump HDE

Name the players recruited by Bear Bryant from Harlan County

Who was the last player put in a B-ball game by Rupp?

What coaching legend flew to Cawood high school to recruit a Cawood football player? You can still see him on tv today.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the Waylon Allen/Todd Shackleford/Jeff Belcher/Russ Swim/Dondi Noah crew.

13 total I am thinking.

Waylon Allen, Asst. Principal Middlesboro

Todd Shack, Marine , School teacher tenn

Jeff Belcher, Governors office Frankfort ky

Russ Swim, Teacher/coach Estill County

Dondi Noah, Teacher/ coach Harlan County

Jon Reynolds, Teacher/coach Harlan County

JOn Daniels, Miner Harlan County

Clinton Saylor, Railroad Harlan County

Scott Blanton, RN Harlan County

Tony Morales, Construction Foreman , Corbin KY

I have the picture but its not listed with the names and I don't know the other three. I guess I cheated on this one? lol

Name the players recruited by Bear Bryant from Harlan County

Who was the last player put in a B-ball game by Rupp?

What coaching legend flew to Cawood high school to recruit a Cawood football player? You can still see him on tv today.

Wah Wah Jones

Kirk Chiles

Joe Paterno

1. McDaniels

2. Saylor

3. ? I have always been told of another Lineman early 70's? Can't remember the name to save my life.

The all-state first team is a great question because almost always people will say a Saylor or Hensley and a few others. Barrett was the only 1st team all state from Cawood. Good job HDE!

Cawood was really bad in the early 70s, until Fox arrived and put together his first good team in 1973.

Tony Durham also played some for UK in the 70s, but I don't think he was a scholarship player. He was a very good linebacker though.

I guessed on Paterno? Who was he recruiting?

I've heard a lot about Pig Allen, but I'm note sure who his coaches were. There was a good lineman at Evarts (Bob Howard, I think) who went to UK and may have played under Bryant. Coach Hunter talked about him several times.

Did anyone confirm if Roy Evans and/or Larry Kirksey actually played in the NFL?

I guessed on Paterno? Who was he recruiting?

I've heard a lot about Pig Allen, but I'm note sure who his coaches were. There was a good lineman at Evarts (Bob Howard, I think) who went to UK and may have played under Bryant. Coach Hunter talked about him several times.

Did anyone confirm if Roy Evans and/or Larry Kirksey actually played in the NFL?

I have actually seen 2 photo's of both Bowden and Joe Pa at Cawood High school. If I am not mistaken Bowden was at West Virginia at the time and was recruiting Grant maybe? I could be wrong about that. Also, Joe Pa was getting out of a copter at a local mines/ some relationship with a mine foreman or maybe a owner. Don't recall who he was looking at? One old time local supporter told me the story for the truth and I even saw both pictures of them. Bowden was easy to identify. Joe Pa was a little harder.

I have actually seen 2 photo's of both Bowden and Joe Pa at Cawood High school. If I am not mistaken Bowden was at West Virginia at the time and was recruiting Grant maybe? I could be wrong about that. Also, Joe Pa was getting out of a copter at a local mines/ some relationship with a mine foreman or maybe a owner. Don't recall who he was looking at? One old time local supporter told me the story for the truth and I even saw both pictures of them. Bowden was easy to identify. Joe Pa was a little harder.

Pig Allen told me one time of a story about players self inflicting injury to themselves to avoid the Bear. Also, told me about Bear hitting one of them in the nose before practice with his fist. lol That was many, many years ago but boy it was interesting!

Frank Mcdaniels in 78, only one that signed, Gary Grant walked on and got some time in a few games. Sorry but all of these things happened before HDE's time and he can't be held responsible.

Nothing is before HDE's time. General Lee used to give him time off to write articles!:laugh: There is a great snapshot of him taking pictures at Gettysburg!:laugh::laugh:;)

Jake Anderson made the Ky all stars in either 03 or 04, Larry Kirksey has a super bowl ring and a ncaa national champ ring , 49ers and Alabama. The year of the two games for two different teams was 77. and he was in outlaws father's wedding as a ring bearer, and an usher, that cat was versatile.

This explains why the wedding pictures shows the guests sitting on milk crates in the parking lot! :lol: Good job Bayshore!!:laugh::laugh: