Mason Co 2008/2009

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be a little different year than the last 7-8 years have been as there won't be that mega star on this team to be able to totally dominate.With this said there is still a ton of talent on this years team with good size available also.They had a great summer as they held there own against everybody they played.This will be a very young Mason County team lead by Senior Russ Middleton whom should have a big year.Once this team gels and matures some more they will be a very tough out by anyone in the state of Kentucky and should be right in the mix of things come march in the 10th Region Tourney.

This will be a little different year than the last 7-8 years have been as there won't be that mega star on this team to be able to totally dominate.With this said there is still a ton of talent on this years team with good size available also.They had a great summer as they held there own against everybody they played.This will be a very young Mason County team lead by Senior Russ Middleton whom should have a big year.Once this team gels and matures some more they will be a very tough out by anyone in the state of Kentucky and should be right in the mix of things come march in the 10th Region Tourney.
I think JUST because of Russ Middleton that Mason County should be the head and shoulders favorite of the 10th region. Mason County matches up youth wise with Clark County and others, but the X factor is that they don't have a senior with the ability of Middleton to lead. If Barner,Bluford and young Setty provide the athletic ability and Gilbert, Middleton and others provide the shooting, Mason and Clark once again are miles above others in the 10th.

I agree with your post. Middleton will be the leader and will have to have some of the younger players to step up and help for them to have a great season, but the talent is there. I think this team may struggle abit at the beginning of the year and by seasons end they will be good to go.As always Mason Co. will be there in the end, with a shot at the 10th region.

I think JUST because of Russ Middleton that Mason County should be the head and shoulders favorite of the 10th region. Mason County matches up youth wise with Clark County and others, but the X factor is that they don't have a senior with the ability of Middleton to lead. If Barner,Bluford and young Setty provide the athletic ability and Gilbert, Middleton and others provide the shooting, Mason and Clark once again are miles above others in the 10th.

I don't agree with this at all. Heard of Robert Hatton? I feel these players are just about equal talent wise. Both have the ability to take over games and lead in clutch situations. And GRC has the better overall talent so no way Mason is head and shoulders favorite.... but this isn't the thread for that. If Mason gets other players to step up and contribute, they will be right in the mix of things come post season.:thumb:

You must not have seen the State tournament then. Keith Downing stepped up his game like everyone in Mason County knew he could do. Keith has always faded into the background at Mason County because he chose to help his teammates instead of taking lots of shots for himself. But this year, his senior year, he is the only returning starter besides Russ and he will have his chance to shine. Keith was a leader on the team last with with his defense and intensity and Setty, Miller, and Middleton all respected him greatly for it. If he can be a leader on a team with stars, he can definately be a leader with a group of young players. You don't have to score 20 a game to lead either.

Keith isn't the only player on this team that should step up this year. Ryan Hamm knows the offence as well as anyone on the team and will be a key distributor for the Royals. Neal Pawsat should be a very good player for the Royals as well. The real X factors are Treg Setty and Phil Barner. If either one (or both) of them live up to as good as they could be, this team will definately be as good as any team in the 10th. This team has potential written all over them, it is a matter of whether or not they live up to their potential. And it won't be easy being the defending state champs with a bullseye on your back. The Royals will definately get the best game from whoever they play.

I agree, as GRC was in this positioin last year.

I agree with your post. Middleton will be the leader and will have to have some of the younger players to step up and help for them to have a great season, but the talent is there. I think this team may struggle abit at the beginning of the year and by seasons end they will be good to go.As always Mason Co. will be there in the end, with a shot at the 10th region.

I don't agree with this at all. Heard of Robert Hatton? I feel these players are just about equal talent wise. Both have the ability to take over games and lead in clutch situations. And GRC has the better overall talent so no way Mason is head and shoulders favorite.... but this isn't the thread for that. If Mason gets other players to step up and contribute, they will be right in the mix of things come post season.:thumb:

:thumb::thumb:

I'm a little confused here. I thought the title of this thread was Mason Co 2008-09 and not lets compare GRC to Mason Co and discuss Robert Hatton.

Back to the original thread title, I think that anyone who belives this team will be a pushover is greatly mistaken. Russ Middleton and Keith Downing are returning starters from a state championship team. That experience just can't be duplicated. If I'm not mistaken, they also won an AAU state title this year as well. With those 2 as a given, you must also figure in Ryan Hamm, who played a major role in the regional championship game last year, Treg Setty and Phil Barner who have both played on Darius Miller's old AAU team the D-1 greyhounds all Summer. I look for improvement from both as a result of that experience. Neal Pawsat is also a player, he'll be late to join the team this year due to being the starting quarterback for the football team, but this kid is an all around athlete. Yes the Royals lost alot but anyone who counts this team out is a fool!

I'm a little confused here. I thought the title of this thread was Mason Co 2008-09 and not lets compare GRC to Mason Co and discuss Robert Hatton.

Back to the original thread title, I think that anyone who belives this team will be a pushover is greatly mistaken. Russ Middleton and Keith Downing are returning starters from a state championship team. That experience just can't be duplicated. If I'm not mistaken, they also won an AAU state title this year as well. With those 2 as a given, you must also figure in Ryan Hamm, who played a major role in the regional championship game last year, Treg Setty and Phil Barner who have both played on Darius Miller's old AAU team the D-1 greyhounds all Summer. I look for improvement from both as a result of that experience. Neal Pawsat is also a player, he'll be late to join the team this year due to being the starting quarterback for the football team, but this kid is an all around athlete. Yes the Royals lost alot but anyone who counts this team out is a fool!

I think you are making up things SD.I haven't read in this thread where anyone has said MC is a pushover or are counting them out.So before you get on anyone else,read the comments yourself.:confused:

Scott County won the State AAU Tourny.

Scott County won the State AAU Tourny.

Not the one I'm referring to. The one I'm referring to is with their AAU team NOT the one in which schools played in. I believe their team is "Shining Stars". Hamm played on this one as well. If you go back and look on previous threads it is mentioned somewhere. As that is where I read it to start out with.

I think you are making up things SD.I haven't read in this thread where anyone has said MC is a pushover or are counting them out.So before you get on anyone else,read the comments yourself.:confused:

Go back and read the thread 2008-09 10th region predictions thread. Most are placing them a distant 2nd. As I stated. Anyone would be foolish to underestimate them this year.

Go back and read the thread 2008-09 10th region predictions thread. Most are placing them a distant 2nd. As I stated. Anyone would be foolish to underestimate them this year.

How are they being underestimated when they are in most everybodys top two in the region?

Folks, we'll keep this thread about Mason Co. and their upcoming season and we'll eliminate any personal comments from this thread and take them to the PM's or this one is finished and some of you will be on the outside looking in.