Mason Co 2008/2009

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be an interesting year for Mason Co. and different then the past. Im anxious to see how Phil Barner plays since there was a lot of hype of him coming to Mason. He will have his opportunity to shine, and we'll have to see if he takes advantage of it.

I agree, he has a big body and should be a huge impact player for Mason Co this year. Did he transfer in from Bryan Station? I know it was a Lexington school.

While the Royals will have some senior leadership, I just can't wait to watch the young kids and see how they develop.

All that experience last year can only help and you figure there are going to be quite a few nail biters in the 10th this year, that experience could prove invaluable.

Just cannot wait to get back to the Fieldhouse. :ylsuper:

While the Royals will have some senior leadership, I just can't wait to watch the young kids and see how they develop.

All that experience last year can only help and you figure there are going to be quite a few nail biters in the 10th this year, that experience could prove invaluable.

Just cannot wait to get back to the Fieldhouse. :ylsuper:

You can go there whenever you want,it's still there,I saw it a couple of days ago.:laugh:

I agree, he has a big body and should be a huge impact player for Mason Co this year. Did he transfer in from Bryan Station? I know it was a Lexington school.

Ive forgotten which school it was. I could have told you last year, but I cant remember now. Does Barner have much shooting ability? The couple times I seen him play, he was passive outside of 5 feet. However, I dont think MC will lack in shooters this year or the next couple of years.

Can you give us some info on Barner diapeardandy, height, etc? Also I saw treg setty play this summer. He is looking much like his brother. Tall, lengthy and of course a nice looking shot. His game has developed a lot. Taking people of the dribble even saw him post up a couple times on smaller defenders. Wether he is in the starting line up or not, I believe he will be a factor. With out a doubt though, Russ will be there "go-to-guy" this year.

Barner is a 6'5 athlete,Hes quick and has great leaping ability.He can play down low against his size but will struggle with larger post players.He isn't much of a threat outside 10 feet but should contribute on the boards and on defense.He transfered to Mason County from Bryan Station in Lexington.

Barner is a 6'5 athlete,Hes quick and has great leaping ability.He can play down low against his size but will struggle with larger post players.He isn't much of a threat outside 10 feet but should contribute on the boards and on defense.He transfered to Mason County from Bryan Station in Lexington.

Thanks for the info...I thought it was Station. I really didn't get to see him play much last year. What grade will he be in?

Thanks for the info...I thought it was Station. I really didn't get to see him play much last year. What grade will he be in?

He will be a junior. He didnt get much PT at first because of learning the system. I would say hes at least 6'5". In the program picture last year, he was nearly as tall as Darius.

Treg Setty is a very good ball player. I seen a freshman game of his and watched him play some j.v. IMO, he could be better then his brother. If he continues to lift weights (I would guess they have him on some kind of program), he could improve his down low ability and become a better rebounder. And like his brother, his stroke is as good as it gets.

Edited by STRIKE3
edited content

There will be plenty of leaders on this team. The '09 class at Mason County is a very good class filled with many players that have played together since they were in 2nd Grade. Downing will be a vocal leader for this team and Ryan Hamm will lead as well. This team has a chance to win their region if some of their players live up to their capabilities. Saying this team will lack leadership is just untrue.

Didn't question the teams leadership, just all the posts that have the team being led by Russ. Russ is an excellent roll player, as we well outlined in my previous post. This was no knock on the Royals, they will always be a "favorite" to win the 10th (probably not this year with Clark's strength). However, if it is put on Russ's lap to lead this team, as I said, it may be a long season for Mason.

I've heard that he will not crack the starting line-up in either of the next two seasons. Any thoughts?

I think that you may want to check the sanity of your source.

Fair, I am taking it from someone in Mason Co, though not directly tied to the program, someone in the know who has been present. This is the same source that has commented on the young man who transferred to Clark, and has stated this player will challenge Hopkins for MY. KY BB. I've not seen for myself, thus using just what message boards are intended for, passing on information that challenges us all.