Suppose Abortion Was Made Illegal

What Should the Punishment for Abortion Be If It Were To Be Made Illegal?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What Should the Punishment for Abortion Be If It Were To Be Made Illegal?

• Same as someone convicted of Murder
    • Same as someone convicted of Manslaughter
    • Misdemeanor/Fine
    • Other

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I would say your world (which is similar to mine) is not indicative of how the entire country feels.

This latest poll that I found would indicate that your community (and mine) is in the minority.

http://www.pollingreport.com/abortion.htm

And you have hit upon what overturning would do.

Rather than the hyperbole that people put on here about returning the clotheshanger, in reality, it would simply allow the states to decide on how they are going to view an issue.

I would fully expect California and the Northeast liberal states to continue such policy.

I would expect the Midwest and Southeast to outlaw it.

Here's a little bit of what is going on around the world. The first link is their 2002 statistics and the second link is their 2007 statistics. I only counted the social column. I'm kind of assuming saving the mother's life, etc as a different topic.

http://www.pregnantpause.org/lex/world02.htm

In 2002: 67 countries had abortion in some form for social reasons. Some limited but they were still available.

http://www.pregnantpause.org/lex/world02.jsp

In 2007: 77 countries had abortion in some form for social reasons. Some limited but they were still available.

Someone can check my math I counted 197 countries, but it was a quick count.

No, you would.

Drugs are illegal and you still have pushers.

Exactly. Abortions are going to happen either way. Why not make them safe and accessible. We have needle exchange programs...isnt that just feeding the problem.

I said manslaughter because I figured you were talking about the females. Murder for the doctor.

I'd be curious to your rationalization for the above. Why would you not want both to be convicted. If I held my 5 year old child while you killed him in some manner, I feel certain I would be charged with murder.

I'd be curious to your rationalization for the above. Why would you not want both to be convicted. If I held my 5 year old child while you killed him in some manner, I feel certain I would be charged with murder.

As I typed it, I knew that it was not a rational argument. Not sure why I typed it but it felt right to type it.

The doctor is committing the actual act of ending the baby's life. And the doctor is 1) going against their oath of protecting life; 2) and doing it premediated.

Presently, with the mentality of this country, I guess I said manslaughter because many women have bought into the lies of this country that somehow they are not killing a human being.

I admit, not a good argument or rational mindset but where I chose to be at first thought.

No, you would.

Drugs are illegal and you still have pushers.

First of all, not all drugs are illegal.

Secondly, the one's selling the illegal drugs generally aren't pharmacists.

Therefore you might have some street doctors performing abortions, but I seriously doubt you'll get a registered nurse or a anesthesiologist there too.

IMO, it is a legal form of murder now. Premediated taking of a human life.
A great answer that I 100 percent agree with. Great post strike-3.

I wish more people would watch the movie "The Silent Scream". I watched it when I was younger and man it was truly horrendous. :cry::cry::cry: It shows a little baby in the womb fighting off a tube inserted into the womb to suck it out. It opens up it's mouth as if screaming and .... I'm getting choked up thinking about it now.

First of all, not all drugs are illegal.

Secondly, the one's selling the illegal drugs generally aren't pharmacists.

Therefore you might have some street doctors performing abortions, but I seriously doubt you'll get a registered nurse or a anesthesiologist there too.

No, you will get them in a form of protest.

Remember euthanisia was illegal and you got Dr. Kvorkhian (sp??) helping perform them. He went to jail for doing it, I believe.

I am all for the states having the right to make the laws on abortion. That is the way it was before Roe vs Wade. Most, if not all, states allowed abortion under limited circumstances.

By allowing the states to make the decisions you would get rid of much of the debate.

If a citizen of a state did not like their state's law on abortion and if it really bothered them that much they could move to another state.

Exactly. Abortions are going to happen either way. Why not make them safe and accessible. We have needle exchange programs...isnt that just feeding the problem.

Rape is going to happen if it's illegal or not. Let's set up Rape Clinics to ensure the safety of every one involved.

And don't say that it is apples and oranges, because from my perspective, abortion IS murder.

Rape is going to happen if it's illegal or not. Let's set up Rape Clinics to ensure the safety of every one involved.

And don't say that it is apples and oranges, because from my perspective, abortion IS murder.

From my view it is apples and oranges. When you rape, you rape a living breathing human being. When you have an abortion, you are only clearing a group of cell, or in later stages a fetus out of your body.

Also if abortions are made criminal here, look for many women going to Canada to get their abortions.

Overturning R v Wade would not make abortions illegal in this country. It would give the right to the states to determine if it is criminal or not.

So, you might be able to stop at some other state along the way before you would have to get to Canada.