The Cats' Pause high school football preview

jbwill2

I just recently received my copy of The Cats' Pause football preview in the mail today, and I must say that I was a bit underwelmed with the section on Kentucky high school football.

I have purchased this football preview every year for the past five years or so, and it seems to me that the amount of space devoted to HS football drops each time.

Some thoughts about this:

1. High school football (or more correctly, the coverage of high school football) has become a much bigger deal recently, with big events like the Herbie, MTV coverage of high school football teams, and ESPN national coverage of high school football games. There are many more national high school football rankings services/polls now as well. It just seems to me that in a state as football-crazy as KY, the state's major publication for football (i.e. The Cats' Pause) would cater to this appetite for prep football coverage by dedicating more time/space to the high school football preview portion of this magazine. Heck, this prep preview (as opposed to the part about UK football) has been the reason I have purchased this magazine for the past several years, so I definitely think that there's a "market" for this sort of thing in KY.

2. Perhaps, in addition to the basic coverage of each team for the upcoming season, the magazine can review some things (like the playoffs) from the previous season. Perhaps it can spend some more time on the best player prospects for the upcoming season, and highlight some marqee match-ups for the upcoming season.

Also, and this is more related to UK football instead of prep football, but it deals with The Cats' Pause: I noticed that former HHS player Jordan Nevels was not listed on the roster. Is he no longer on the UK team?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just recently received my copy of The Cats' Pause football preview in the mail today, and I must say that I was a bit underwelmed with the section on Kentucky high school football.

I have purchased this football preview every year for the past five years or so, and it seems to me that the amount of space devoted to HS football drops each time.

Some thoughts about this:

1. High school football (or more correctly, the coverage of high school football) has become a much bigger deal recently, with big events like the Herbie, MTV coverage of high school football teams, and ESPN national coverage of high school football games. There are many more national high school football rankings services/polls now as well. It just seems to me that in a state as football-crazy as KY, the state's major publication for football (i.e. The Cats' Pause) would cater to this appetite for prep football coverage by dedicating more time/space to the high school football preview portion of this magazine. Heck, this prep preview (as opposed to the part about UK football) has been the reason I have purchased this magazine for the past several years, so I definitely think that there's a "market" for this sort of thing in KY.

2. Perhaps, in addition to the basic coverage of each team for the upcoming season, the magazine can review some things (like the playoffs) from the previous season. Perhaps it can spend some more time on the best player prospects for the upcoming season, and highlight some marqee match-ups for the upcoming season.

Also, and this is more related to UK football instead of prep football, but it deals with The Cats' Pause: I noticed that former HHS player Jordan Nevels was not listed on the roster. Is he no longer on the UK team?

Although I'm, a football fan; that may be the first time I've ever heard those seven words in that order...

Although I'm, a football fan; that may be the first time I've ever heard those seven words in that order...

What is really weird, is that somewhere here on the preps today I read that Ohio dominates Ky in everything including basketball.:creepy:

I've paraphrased it many times, and people still dispute that Kentucky football is very popular and has improved a great deal.

Don't worry, the "2008 Bluegrasspreps Kentucky High School Football Preview" will be out very soon, and I assure you it will be in depth.

:thumb: I always look forward to the "BGP Football Preview". It is a sure sign that football season is just around the corner!!!!!:ylsuper:

Certainly, the BGP preview is one-of-a-kind, but I do think that The Cats' Pause could do a better job in their prep football preview coverage.

I agree, I picked up a copy at the book store and looked briefly at the high school section, and put it back and did not buy it. What I saw about our district was incorrect information. Not, much work put into it.

I agree, I picked up a copy at the book store and looked briefly at the high school section, and put it back and did not buy it. What I saw about our district was incorrect information. Not, much work put into it.

In Class 5A, District 5's preview, they got Holmes' 2007 W-L record wrong.