Grilles, smokers, and barbecue

AcesFull

I have decided to purchase a new grill/smoker. I started looking with the intention of buying a small smoker in the $100-300 price range. As I researched the different types of smokers, I came across a combination charcoal grill/smoker/oven made by a company called Big Green Egg. I have also been impressed by a wood pellet grill made by Traeger.

Does anybody own a Big Green Egg? Its owners seem to be part of a cult and are as active in the company's forums as BGP members are here. The BGE is a large egg-shaped ceramic unit that can hold low temperatures for 18 hours or more for barbecuing briskets that is also capable of cooking a steak or pizza at temperatures of 600 degress or more. Its main drawback seems to be its relatively small cooking surface (18-inch dia.).

I am pretty close to going with the BGE but if anybody has a good grill or smoker that they like I would love to hear about your experience with it.

Thanks.

I have decided to purchase a new grill/smoker. I started looking with the intention of buying a small smoker in the $100-300 price range. As I researched the different types of smokers, I came across a combination charcoal grill/smoker/oven made by a company called Big Green Egg. I have also been impressed by a wood pellet grill made by Traeger.

Does anybody own a Big Green Egg? Its owners seem to be part of a cult and are as active in the company's forums as BGP members are here. The BGE is a large egg-shaped ceramic unit that can hold low temperatures for 18 hours or more for barbecuing briskets that is also capable of cooking a steak or pizza at temperatures of 600 degress or more. Its main drawback seems to be its relatively small cooking surface (18-inch dia.).

I am pretty close to going with the BGE but if anybody has a good grill or smoker that they like I would love to hear about your experience with it.

Thanks.

I've hear they're amazing, but that is as much as I know.

We got a Holland grill about 3 summers ago and it is amazing. Everything you cook on it is timed. There's no going out and flipping over the burgers or wondering if the pork tenderloin is the right temperature. It comes with a "time sheet" that tells you how long you need to cook any piece of meat you could think of. You can also steam with it. I haven't done any steaming, but my father-in-law says he steams oysters with his and they are amazng.

Check it out:

http://www.hollandgrill.com/

We got a Holland grill about 3 summers ago and it is amazing. Everything you cook on it is timed. There's no going out and flipping over the burgers or wondering if the pork tenderloin is the right temperature. It comes with a "time sheet" that tells you how long you need to cook any piece of meat you could think of. You can also steam with it. I haven't done any steaming, but my father-in-law says he steams oysters with his and they are amazng.

Check it out:

http://www.hollandgrill.com/

I had read some good reviews on the Holland grills and after reading your post, I did a little more research. What sparked my interest in a new grill was mainly my desire to try by hand at real "low and slow" barbecuing. The BGE gets rave reviews as a smoker and the Holland is not a substitute for a smoker.

The Holland Companion portable propane grill looks like a perfect tailgating grill. I may look into getting one for my son who likes to grill. I have a feeling that if I get a BGE, I will have to fight him for grill time, and I would hate to send him back to college this fall empty handed. :D

My Dad has the Green Egg. It is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. It cooks everything to perfection.
Thanks for your feedback on the food. Your comments are typical of the online "egghead" testimonials that I have read. BGE's customer satisfaction numbers must be through the roof. The only serious knocks that I have read have been its relatively small capacity (the large model has an 18" diameter cooking grid) and its weight. I think that it would be large enough for my family of five.

Never heard of the "Egg", do you have a link?
Big Green Egg website: http://biggreenegg.com/

BGE Forum: http://www.eggheadforum.com

Naked Whiz website (ceramic cooking expert):http://www.nakedwhiz.com/

There are other brands of ceramic cookers such as Primo, but the Big Green Egg is the most popular and easiest to find. This type of grill originated 3000 years ago in Japan. The Indian tandoor ovens, which are used to make dishes such as naan and chicken tikka work on the same principle.

BGE_lg9883---edited.gif

Thanks, RTS. I had gone through those lists several times. With the budget I have, I pretty much pared my choices down to the Traeger Pellet Lil' Tex (#4 in the $400+ list) and the Big Green Egg (#5). I am pretty sure that I am going for the BGE Large. The Traeger has a much bigger capacity for smoking but the BGE is supposed to be much better for grilling. Both cookers can smoke using indirect heat but the BGE can also sear steaks and other foods at high heat because the charcoal is located directly under the cooking grid. The ceramic insulation allows the BGE to reach temperatures well above 700 degrees.

Here is a demo of grilling on a BGE:

The woodbox is located in the bottom and heated by a Brinkman replacement element. Note second rack. I've seen my brother-in-law use this to hold the charcoal for grilling.
Nice looking job It looks building one would be an almost simple enough project for me to tackle. :D

If I were a little more resourceful, I would buy two big ceramic pots and try building a homebrew version of the BGE:

IMG_2671-722652.jpg