Why you OUGHT to Judge

I found this column interesting and one that touches on religion and politics. Your thoughts?

At least one lesbian is not happy with me for the case I made last week against same-sex marriage on our TV program. She wrote me this ALL CAPS e-mail with “VERY JUDGEMENTAL” in the subject line:

ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME AND I AM A CHRISTIAN LESBIAN AND HAVE BEEN FOR ALMOST 20 YEARS. STOP JUDGING AND MOVE ON!!! I AM SO TIRED OF ALL YOU UPTIGHT, DO RIGHT, SINNERS JUDGING PEOPLE.

I wrote her back asking her why she was judging me for judging. It seemed like a fair question. After all, if I am not to “judge” her, why is it OK for her to judge me? And if she’s a Christian, doesn’t she know that God has already judged homosexual behavior as immoral? I mean, I didn’t make the judgment that homosexual behavior was wrong. God is the standard of morality, not me.

But the main point is that my lesbian pen pal did what most liberals do when they are faced with arguments they don’t like—they misuse Jesus’ apparent command not to “judge” in order to shut you up. So if you oppose their behavior or their attempt to get the nation to endorse their immorality (i.e. same-sex marriage), you’re sure to hear “Thou shalt not judge!”

I'm just not sure why so many people want to control what other people can do. Especially if those other people are wanting to marry each other. If homosexual couples were allowed to marry, how would it hurt those of you who don't want homosexuals to be married?

The single most removed-from-context scripture in the entire Bible.

Here's the context:

Matthew 7:1-4 (Last portion of what is called "The Sermon on the Mount" which is long seen as directed at disciples and followers of Jesus. See Matthew 5:1-2)

1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?

I'm just not sure why so many people want to control what other people can do. Especially if those other people are wanting to marry each other. If homosexual couples were allowed to marry, how would it hurt those of you who don't want homosexuals to be married?

Because some people find homosexuality to be truly wrong and are concerned about the salvation as others. With those people, I don't think it is about control.

Because some people find homosexuality to be truly wrong and are concerned about the salvation as others. With those people, I don't think it is about control.

I hear exactly what you are saying. But in what ways do these kinds of stands help achieve that goal of salvation for others?

I hear exactly what you are saying. But in what ways do these kinds of stands help achieve that goal of salvation for others?

People certainly do not express themselves correctly when it comes to warning about the sin of homosexuality.

My problem is when these same people do not look at pre-maritial sex as being equally sinful. Why is that? (Yes, I realize that all homosexual sex is premarital.)

My problem is when these same people do not look at pre-maritial sex as being equally sinful. Why is that? (Yes, I realize that all homosexual sex is premarital.)

I find them equally sinful, but of course the outrage (and matched lack of outrage) is two-fold: 1) Cognitive dissonance- matching your beliefs to your actions for convenience and 2) Politicians whip up outrage by making one a voting issue and the other one not.

I find them equally sinful, but of course the outrage (and matched lack of outrage) is two-fold: 1) Cognitive dissonance- matching your beliefs to your actions for convenience and 2) Politicians whip up outrage by making one a voting issue and the other one not.

:thumb:Right on...I believe those are the same reasons that I came up with.

Here's the context:

Matthew 7:1-4 (Last portion of what is called "The Sermon on the Mount" which is long seen as directed at disciples and followers of Jesus. See Matthew 5:1-2)

1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?

You forgot the next passage. "First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you be be able to see clearly to remove the speck from your neighbors."

Nowhere does it say we are not to correct our neighbor from sin and immorality, and in fact the entire book of Hebrews is devoted to just that. We are just to do so in a spirit of repentance and are also to be sure that our own hearsts are clean on the subject discussed.

You forgot the next passage. "First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you be be able to see clearly to remove the speck from your neighbors."

Nowhere does it say we are not to correct our neighbor from sin and immorality, and in fact the entire book of Hebrews is devoted to just that. We are just to do so in a spirit of repentance and are also to be sure that our own hearsts are clean on the subject discussed.

First. That was a misprint on my part. I meant to add verse 5 and forgot. I'm sorry.

Secondly, I agree but the interpretive piece is really found in verse 2 and you or no one else seems to wish to mention that. The speck illustration is to show how it may be done.

Verse 2 tells us that judgment is fine but remember that with the judgment you use, you too will be judged. For example: Ted Haggard used a form of judgment on the Gay community. With that same judgment he was judged when the truth came out.

I'm not arguing against judging, it's the method and way in which that judment is done and pronounced. For example, during the AIDS issues of the mid 90's the SBC went on record to boycott Disney because of their allowing Gay partners to be covered in their medical plans and what some saw as a "Gay agenda" in their productions. I long said (and no one listened), if our ends is salvation and life changing grace - wouldn't it make more sense to invest ourselves into clinics in the highest areas of gay population and reach out to this group, invest in health for them, while still sharing the hope that they would find redemption? It didn't fly.

I think it's easier for Christians to sometimes "judge" and then "pontificate" about that judgment rather than find creative ways to reveal both judgment and grace at the same time.

Both are sins and if go unrepented of (no change is made) will seperate us from God according to the bible. Any sexual relationship outside of marriage is wrong.

However, the Lord reserves some harsh words for homosexuality in the NT especially in Romans. In the OT the Lord destroyed two cities both known for their blantant homosexuality Sodom and Gomorah. It is one thing to make a mistake here or there but to live in constant rebellion towards God's word and expect to be saved is arrogant and very dangerous to the condition of your soul.

We all have sinned but we should realize our sins and try to get out of those situations not live in a blantant disregard for God's word.