Obama leads McCain in November match: Reuters poll

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrat Barack Obama has opened an 8-point national lead on Republican John McCain as the U.S. presidential rivals turn their focus to a general election race, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Obama, who was tied with McCain in a hypothetical head-to-head matchup last month, moved to a 48 percent to 40 percent lead over the Arizona senator in May as he took command of his grueling Democratic presidential duel with rival Hillary Clinton.

LINK

He raised $31 million in April; Hillary with $22 million. McCain a distant third in money raised. Democrats are coming out in huge numbers to vote...very energized. McCain is not exciting Republicans, nor anyone else.Democrats have the energy, the dough, and the big "MO". In a sense, GWB is one of my favorite presidents because he has single-handedly de-energized and demoralized his party. Bush decided he didn't have to listen to the American people and now they are lashing out at his party. Americans are crying out for a change. McCain is in a tough spot. He needs to maintain some assemblance of a tie to Bush to keep the conservative base from staying home, and yet nearly 1 in 2 Americans polled are saying McCain's biggest negative is his association with Bush. He can't win no matter what he does.

However, the winds of change are fickle and blow swiftly in politics, so Democrats can't take anything for granted.

In most of the polls I've seen, the democrat candidate leads McCain in head to head races. Makes sense since McCain has kept a pretty low profile while the two Dems beat the snot out of each other. The real changes will take place when the Dems select a candidate and both parties pick a running mate. IMO, the running mate selection is more important to the GOP than it is for the Dems. That is unless Hillary and Obama team up on the ticket.

In most of the polls I've seen, the democrat candidate leads McCain in head to head races. Makes sense since McCain has kept a pretty low profile while the two Dems beat the snot out of each other. The real changes will take place when the Dems select a candidate and both parties pick a running mate. IMO, the running mate selection is more important to the GOP than it is for the Dems. That is unless Hillary and Obama team up on the ticket.

Do you think that would be a good or bad idea for the Dems?

I agree. Barackahillary would be unbeatable. Same goes for Gore as Pres and Barack or Hillary as running mate.

I could not agree more... Granted any democratic canidate would have an advantage considering the preformace of George W. Bush...

While Barack may win this election, I still see it being relatively split across the country and it will not be a landslide victory. And as we all know, the goal is to win the most electoral votes, not to win the poplar vote.

Here is some interesting information... Look how well a Obama/Edwards ticket would do in PENNSYLVANIA and New Mexico...

PENNSYLVANIA

Obama/Edwards +17 McCain/Pawlenty

+15 McCain/Romney

+12 McCain/Lieberman

+10 McCain/Huckabee

NEW MEXICO

Obama/Edwards +9 McCain/Pawlenty

+6 McCain/Lieberman

+6 McCain/Romney

+3 McCain/Huckabee

http://www.surveyusa.com/

I'd vote for Obama/Edwards...

I am considering voting for Obama. Selecting Edwards would almost eliminate any chance of that happening for me (sorry, rockmom). I do not think selecting Edwards is a good decision for Obama.