May 10, 200818 yr He cannot play any sports at any level. In addition, he will not be able to play his senior year. Once he is promoted to 9th grade, he has 4 years of eligibility and the repeated year counts as one year. Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought as much, but wasn't certain. Actually, in this particular situation, I believe he will be able to apply for an extra year of eligibility to due medical reasons that caused him to missing a lot of school his sophomore year and ultimately led to the poor grades.
May 10, 200818 yr Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought as much, but wasn't certain. Actually, in this particular situation, I believe he will be able to apply for an extra year of eligibility to due medical reasons that caused him to missing a lot of school his sophomore year and ultimately led to the poor grades. I certainly hope it does work out in his favor. Sports obviously being the icing on the cake, so to speak.
May 10, 200818 yr Thinks for clearing that up LN. I sill am not able to understand some of the transfer rules. Case in point: several years ago, Raceland received two transfers from the same school. Student A played in several varsity games, but not a contributor, he did not change addresses or meet any of the other requirements for transfer with eligibility. Student B transferred from the same school to Raceland had played one play in a varsity game at the other school. He did not meet any of the requirements for transfer with eligibility. Player A was granted a waiver, player B had to sit out a year. Raceland was told the reason that player B had to sit out was that the sending school contested player B, but did not contest player A. I don't know. That could have happened. We need to keep in mind that the Board of Control has a lot of discretion to grant the waivers. As the Board members change over the years and the pendelum of aggressively enforcing the rules moves back and forth over the years, you will probably find inconsistent rulings. Before anyone says it shouldn't be that way, I agree. "Stare decisis" (Latin meaning "to stand by things decided") is an important and fundamental principle that our judicial system relies on. And from what I'm told by people who have been on the Board of Control, they certainly are cognizant of stare decisis. But with situations involving some amazingly complicated facts and new members coming on the board on a regular basis, its easy to understand why you can find inconsistent decisions. Also keep in mind that the Board members aren't judges: they are supers, principles, coaches and ADs, not trained in the application of law.
May 10, 200818 yr Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought as much, but wasn't certain. Actually, in this particular situation, I believe he will be able to apply for an extra year of eligibility to due medical reasons that caused him to missing a lot of school his sophomore year and ultimately led to the poor grades. Uhhh.... no. There is no such thing as an "extra year of eligibility" in high school. The reason doesn't matter.
May 10, 200818 yr Quote: Originally Posted by AFR From the bylaws - 7)Member schools are reminded that the Sending School has no authority in making the eligibility determination, but must simply report the facts according to the permanent record and other verif ed data on the form If he played in a varsity contest ( one second) doesn't matter how many or how long he would be inelgible to play at another school. Unless he has a change of residence. This is the way I read the rule? Then it is on a case by case basis. My point was the "sending school" doesn't make a determination on his eligibility, they only answer the questions on the form. Amount of playing time doesn't matter, they only report whether he was on the team or not. The receiving school is responsibile for following the rules of eligibility and securing a waiver if necessary.
May 10, 200818 yr Uhhh.... no. There is no such thing as an "extra year of eligibility" in high school. The reason doesn't matter. I might have remembered it wrong but I believe a player from one of the Bullitt County schools was granted a 5th year due to medical reasons. I have been trying to find the article which I think was in the CJ.
May 16, 200818 yr KHSAA can do what they want, We had a girl play V at a private school went to a city School and not because of money was able to play.
May 18, 200818 yr I am reading these as conflicting views: JV yes, or JV no. Can anyone clarify this? Thats my understanding. We have a girl we're losing to a public next year. She was a frosh playing JV lacrosse, and was going to get stepped up to varsity at the end of the season. The coach heard about her possible transfer and told the parents he wouldn't let her play varsity since it would cause her to sit out at her new school, which he didn't want. Different for freshmen I assume, because we had a girl leave last year AFTER playing two games for us. Six days later, she was playing for a public school, and her first game was against us no less. AGain, our coach didn't protest. I think someone else said it - maybe it depends on whether a schol is gonna complain and make an issue out of it, although you guys say it doesn't. In Louisville (that's all I know), a private ultimately wants what the kid wants, and isn't gonna raise a stink because they lose a kid. All kids are not happy in private settings. The fans might raise a stink, but not the school. If a kid is inelligible, it is my understanding that they can still practice with the team, just not play games. If that is correct, that benefits the kid, since they learn more in a practice than the do in games.
May 19, 200818 yr KHSAA can do what they want, We had a girl play V at a private school went to a city School and not because of money was able to play. That's my understanding, the KHSAA rules on the merit of each case. The school the child is leaving may contest based on tuition due or if the child left due to discipline action. Otherwise, financial hardship usually can lead to a waiver.
May 21, 200818 yr I might have remembered it wrong but I believe a player from one of the Bullitt County schools was granted a 5th year due to medical reasons. I have been trying to find the article which I think was in the CJ. The KHSAA has granted 5th years in the past several times because of medical reasons. I know of two from Bell High that were granted 5th years. However, the khsaa DOESN'T GRANT 5TH YEARS ANYMORE for any reason. Around southeast Kentucky it is referred to as the Shawn Woolum rule. He was the last player granted a 5th year in the state of Kentucky. He played at Bell High sometime in the 90's.
June 24, 200818 yr Thats my understanding. We have a girl we're losing to a public next year. She was a frosh playing JV lacrosse, and was going to get stepped up to varsity at the end of the season. The coach heard about her possible transfer and told the parents he wouldn't let her play varsity since it would cause her to sit out at her new school, which he didn't want. Different for freshmen I assume, because we had a girl leave last year AFTER playing two games for us. Six days later, she was playing for a public school, and her first game was against us no less. AGain, our coach didn't protest. I think someone else said it - maybe it depends on whether a schol is gonna complain and make an issue out of it, although you guys say it doesn't. In Louisville (that's all I know), a private ultimately wants what the kid wants, and isn't gonna raise a stink because they lose a kid. All kids are not happy in private settings. The fans might raise a stink, but not the school. If a kid is inelligible, it is my understanding that they can still practice with the team, just not play games. If that is correct, that benefits the kid, since they learn more in a practice than the do in games. Lacrosse doesn't count. It's not sanctioned by the KHSAA so KHSAA rules don't apply. Same is true for Field Hockey, Bowling, Ice Hockey, Boy's Volleyball et al. You can play any of those sports today at one school, transfer to another and play tomorrow. And no, if a student is inelligible they can not participate with the team in any way including practices.
June 24, 200818 yr This is the best post on this subject - it could be the standard answer to a lot of posts! Oops the reply didn't show the post I was referencing - it was the one from Leatherneck.
June 24, 200818 yr A friend just called me to ask about transfer rules from a Private school to a Public school. (no, it's not Bluto Jr. #2 - for health reasons he will not be able to participate in football) Here's the situation. The kid is a freshman, has been in the football program for 3 years. This year he played at the end of a few varsity games. Next year: 1) Am I correct in that he cannot play varsity football at the public school (he lives in another county)? 2) Can he participate at the JV level? 3) Can he play any other sports? 4) The reasons for the transfer are financial hardship. Could the family appeal to some authority for a waiver? If he was Freshman this past year he could have been on the Varsity, but the other two years that he was on the team could not have been varsity - 7th and 8th graders are not allowed to play varsity football. This doesn't really matter in this situation, but I hope the school isn't violating other rules.
June 24, 200818 yr A friend just called me to ask about transfer rules from a Private school to a Public school. (no, it's not Bluto Jr. #2 - for health reasons he will not be able to participate in football) Here's the situation. The kid is a freshman, has been in the football program for 3 years. This year he played at the end of a few varsity games. Next year: 1) Am I correct in that he cannot play varsity football at the public school (he lives in another county)? Yes, unless granted a waiver. 2) Can he participate at the JV level? No, inelligible at one level, inelligible at all levels. 3) Can he play any other sports? No, inelligible for transfering means inelligible for all sports 4) The reasons for the transfer are financial hardship. Could the family appeal to some authority for a waiver? That COULD be grounds to grant a waiver.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.