Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Eligibility question for 7th and 8th graders:

Featured Replies

I had someone ask me this and I don't feel confident answering so I am putting it to the experts, here is the question:

 

If a student athlete attends school A through his 7th grade year, can he transfer to school B for his 8th grade year, play middle school sports, and then return to school A for his freshman to senior years?

I had someone ask me this and I don't feel confident answering so I am putting it to the experts, here is the question:

 

If a student athlete attends school A through his 7th grade year, can he transfer to school B for his 8th grade year, play middle school sports, and then return to school A for his freshman to senior years?

I don't have the rule in front of me, but I'm thinking he might have to sit out a year.

 

If so, it's a crappy rule. Heck, it already is ...

I had someone ask me this and I don't feel confident answering so I am putting it to the experts, here is the question:

 

If a student athlete attends school A through his 7th grade year, can he transfer to school B for his 8th grade year, play middle school sports, and then return to school A for his freshman to senior years?

 

Yes! :thumb:

I don't have the rule in front of me, but I'm thinking he might have to sit out a year.

 

If so, it's a crappy rule. Heck, it already is ...

 

To my understanding a middle school kid (going from 8th into their freshman year) can go to any high school he/she chooses, without losing any eligibility - because technically they don't have any yet. Once they start at a particular high school, and participate in sports, then the transfer rule would go into effect just like for anyone else.

To my understanding a middle school kid (going from 8th into their freshman year) can go to any high school he/she chooses, without losing any eligibility - because technically they don't have any yet. Once they start at a particular high school, and participate in sports, then the transfer rule would go into effect just like for anyone else.

 

That is how I understand the rule as well.

 

However, I am unable to locate this at this time, but I believe that if a 7th or 8th grader plays varsity they will have to sit out a year in most cases if they transfer without moving.

That is how I understand the rule as well.

 

However, I am unable to locate this at this time, but I believe that if a 7th or 8th grader plays varsity they will have to sit out a year in most cases if they transfer without moving.

 

That is also the way the rule has been explained and how I understand the rule also.

From the KHSAA Handbook

 

Case BL-6-1- What is the transfer rule (Bylaw 6)?

Bylaw 6, Transfer Rule, states that any student who changes

schools after enrolling in grade 9 and after participating in a

varsity contest in any sport, shall be ineligible for one year from

the date of enrollment at the new school. The Commissioner

and Board of Control have limited authority to waive the period

of ineligibility under the circumstances outlined in Bylaw 6 and

the Due Process Procedure.

Case BL-6-2- Why is there a transfer rule?

Nearly every state has a transfer rule to protect the integrity

From the KHSAA Handbook

 

Case BL-6-1- What is the transfer rule (Bylaw 6)?

Bylaw 6, Transfer Rule, states that any student who changes

schools after enrolling in grade 9 and after participating in a

varsity contest in any sport, shall be ineligible for one year from

the date of enrollment at the new school. The Commissioner

and Board of Control have limited authority to waive the period

of ineligibility under the circumstances outlined in Bylaw 6 and

the Due Process Procedure.

Case BL-6-2- Why is there a transfer rule?

Nearly every state has a transfer rule to protect the integrity

 

Varsity sport is the key here.

I thought the part about being enrolled in 9th grade was the part Guru was asking about, but it seems both parts are equally important to establish the first school.

I liked the rule the way it was, with the eligibility clock starting in a student's freshman year.

I liked the rule the way it was, with the eligibility clock starting in a student's freshman year.

 

Isn't it still that way?

A student athlete can play at School A during his 7th grade (including varsity level), transfer to School B for his 8th grade and play there (including varsity) then he can transfer back to School A in his freshman year and be eligible to play his remaining four years.

From the KHSAA Handbook

 

Case BL-6-1- What is the transfer rule (Bylaw 6)?

Bylaw 6, Transfer Rule, states that any student who changes

schools after enrolling in grade 9 and after participating in a

varsity contest in any sport, shall be ineligible for one year from

the date of enrollment at the new school. The Commissioner

and Board of Control have limited authority to waive the period

of ineligibility under the circumstances outlined in Bylaw 6 and

the Due Process Procedure.

Case BL-6-2- Why is there a transfer rule?

Nearly every state has a transfer rule to protect the integrity

 

The key is, "after enrolling in grade 9 and after participating in a varsity contest of enrollment at the new school."

A student athlete can play at School A during his 7th grade (including varsity level), transfer to School B for his 8th grade and play there (including varsity) then he can transfer back to School A in his freshman year and be eligible to play his remaining four years.

 

:thumb: You are correct!

There have been talk about passing a rule that if a middle school kid plays up (varsity level) they would have to attend that high school or lose a year of eligibility. Who knows if this rule will every pass or not; but madman is exactly right.

 

If a kid was good enough to play varsity level ball in the 6th grade (for instance) he/she could play 6th, 7th, & 8th at that high school; and then go play for a different high school when they got in the 9th. No eligibility would be lost!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.