Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2008 George Rogers Clark

Featured Replies

No, he was an assistant, which is exactly what he should be right now. I played for coach Columbia and think he is a great person. He knows the game of football, but cannot manage a whole team. No disrespect to PC but the run in 06 occured because our team (especially the seniors) was just that much better than the opposition. And if you look back at their losses play calling played an enormous role in those games. That being said, I have been telling guys on our team for years that no matter what play is called, they still have to go out and execute it. No excuses.

 

Who was the head coach?

  • Replies 84
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was the head coach?

 

Don Danko was head coach and Marty Joyce was the OC. Marty is now the OC for Henry Clay and Don is retired.

Don Danko was head coach and Marty Joyce was the OC. Marty is now the OC for Henry Clay and Don is retired.

 

Thanks for the info. I knew that but had forgotten.

So what happened that back then there was a head coach AND an OC, but not now? PC has to do both roles right?

Don Danko was head coach and Marty Joyce was the OC. Marty is now the OC for Henry Clay and Don is retired.

 

I thought McKay was the OC during the 91 run

I thought McKay was the OC during the 91 run

I was told that Marty was...but I did not live here then , so I am just going by what I was told.... Maybe you can find out for us.

I understand, sounds like a leadership or character type of award. The Cowboys, are they a local team that competes only outside the community or are they part of a community league.

 

If they are part of a league, who allows the team to be stacked?

 

The Cowboys are just a civitan league for young boys to play football in Winchester. There are 3 other teams in the league but the cowboys always do see to have one of the better teams. But not always when I was playing at that level the cowboys were about 3rd in the league and to other teams just dominated. And as far as who is allowing the stacking, well I guess you would have to say everyone is. They aren't doing anything wrong they play by the rules and try to get the best players the possibly can on their team. They are just better strategists than everyone else which makes the rest of the league feel like they got cheated. But the main reason for there success in my opinion is because they have good coaches who work really well with that age group. And the fact that the majority of there teams go on to further there football careers throughout school is a testament to their work.

I was told that Marty was...but I did not live here then , so I am just going by what I was told.... Maybe you can find out for us.

 

You are right Marty was the OC Mckay was just the QB coach

You are right Marty was the OC Mckay was just the QB coach

 

:thumb: Thanks

The Cowboys are just a civitan league for young boys to play football in Winchester. There are 3 other teams in the league but the cowboys always do see to have one of the better teams. But not always when I was playing at that level the cowboys were about 3rd in the league and to other teams just dominated. And as far as who is allowing the stacking, well I guess you would have to say everyone is. They aren't doing anything wrong they play by the rules and try to get the best players the possibly can on their team. They are just better strategists than everyone else which makes the rest of the league feel like they got cheated. But the main reason for there success in my opinion is because they have good coaches who work really well with that age group. And the fact that the majority of there teams go on to further there football careers throughout school is a testament to their work.

 

It would appear to me the Cowboys have good coaches.

It is always the coaches fault. :rolleyes: I hate to hear fans/players talk bad about coaches. Excuses are the first signs of a LOSER. It is easy to blame coaches or use them as an excuse for losing. Support the school/coaches you root for! Go GRC!

It is always the coaches fault. :rolleyes: I hate to hear fans/players talk bad about coaches. Excuses are the first signs of a LOSER. It is easy to blame coaches or use them as an excuse for losing. Support the school/coaches you root for! Go GRC!

 

When the opposing teams post that your coach didn't exactly seem to understand the strategy part of football it is not just a few fans that are complaining! ( see last season vs. Danville!) Columbia is a fine person but has shown over and over he struggles in the head coach role. His in game play calling and motivational skills are not what they should be. He has a very poor ability to manage the clock in close games. I have sat on the sidelines for his entire tenure as head coach and believe he needs to be replaced not because I dislike him but what I have seen is he is just not head coach material. Clark County has plenty of talent and a very good feeder system so IMHO it is ripe for a change in command.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

I don't think I would listen to the opinions of rival fans. I hope for coach Columbia sake you are still not on the sidelines for the game on Saturday. I would say Coach Columbia trusts you and others like you that are in his sidelines. :cry: I think this is a glimpse of what me going on at GRC. Coaches need 100% support from schools/community.

When the opposing teams post that your coach didn't exactly seem to understand the strategy part of football it is not just a few fans that are complaining! ( see last season vs. Danville!) Columbia is a fine person but has shown over and over he struggles in the head coach role. His in game play calling and motivational skills are not what they should be. He has a very poor ability to manage the clock in close games. I have sat on the sidelines for his entire tenure as head coach and believe he needs to be replaced not because I dislike him but what I have seen is he is just not head coach material. Clark County has plenty of talent and a very good feeder system so IMHO it is ripe for a change in command.

 

You have a good point about the GRC coach being poor at clock management. I remember when they played Montgomery in the playoffs in '06 and all they needed to do was do a couple running plays and the game would be over. The coach for seem reason decided to go all Les Miles and actually throw the ball. It stopped the clock and actually allowed Montgomery to get one final possession and actually have a hail mary at the end zone. While GRC won the game it was one of the dumbest coaching moves I have ever seen.

It would appear to me the Cowboys have good coaches.

In my opinion they are excellent coaches and they do a great job of teaching the boys not only football but respect as well. And I never played for the cowboys either so my opinion holds no bias and is based solely off of my observation over the years.

 

You have a good point about the GRC coach being poor at clock management. I remember when they played Montgomery in the playoffs in '06 and all they needed to do was do a couple running plays and the game would be over. The coach for seem reason decided to go all Les Miles and actually throw the ball. It stopped the clock and actually allowed Montgomery to get one final possession and actually have a hail mary at the end zone. While GRC won the game it was one of the dumbest coaching moves I have ever seen.

 

I was on the field playing at the time of this play calling and I have to comments to make about it.

1. This bring me back to the point I have made several times GRC NEEDS and offensive coordinator. One coach, even the greatest coach, can make a mistake like this very rarely will two coaches working together as part of the offensive scheme make this mistake though.

 

2. When we were all in the huddle and we heard a call we didn't like there usually was some disappointment from the players however we still went ahead and played the play and tried to make the best of it. And then if that didn't work we would come out on defense and make up for it there. That in my opinion is what got the 06 team as far as it did and I think that last years team lacked that drive and motivation to play through bad play calling.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.