Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2008 George Rogers Clark

Featured Replies

It is said that he was the one that was there the most in the off season and that is something the coaches love.

  • Replies 84
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised that only 35 players came out. There's one problem and one problem only... Coach Columbia needs to step down or demote himself to offensive coordinator where he can focus on one aspect.

 

So I'll just sit back and watch GRC continue to crumble. To go 3-8 with all those talented seniors is proof that P.C. doesn't know how to manage talent. When you have players begging the coach to work on things they need help with, but all the coach wants to do is add more plays when they already have over 100, that's a problem.

 

P.C. is a nice person on the surface, he's knowledgeable about football, but he plays favoritism and he's not good with motivating players or managing them. You need all those qualities to be an effective head coach, not just one or two. Coach Coleman is who I think should lead that team, and I hope he doesn't get fired just because I said it.

Edited by STRIKE3
edited Rule #2 comments

I'm not surprised that only 35 players came out. There's one problem and one problem only... Coach Columbia needs to step down or demote himself to offensive coordinator where he can focus on one aspect.

 

So I'll just sit back and watch GRC continue to crumble. To go 3-8 with all those talented seniors is proof that P.C. doesn't know how to manage talent. When you have players begging the coach to work on things they need help with, but all the coach wants to do is add more plays when they already have over 100, that's a problem.

 

P.C. is a nice person on the surface, he's knowledgeable about football, but he plays favoritism and he's not good with motivating players or managing them. You need all those qualities to be an effective head coach, not just one or two. Coach Coleman is who I think should lead that team, and I hope he doesn't get fired just because I said it.

 

Was Columbia the coach of the state championship team. I remember when the folks in Clark co. thought he was awesome.

 

Has the game changed and he hasn't ...or have the players and parents attitudes changed? I say this because I think the above is a harsh commentary of a quality coach.

Was Columbia the coach of the state championship team. I remember when the folks in Clark co. thought he was awesome.

 

Has the game changed and he hasn't ...or have the players and parents attitudes changed? I say this because I think the above is a harsh commentary of a quality coach.

 

You know how it is with most folks....when you are winning you are the best thing ever....well that is....untill you start losing.:fight:

That's exactly it. He's not changing with the game, and the changes he does make aren't what should be done. Everyone will suggest "A", so he does "B". When I played in high school and at EKU my coaches use to listen to both the players and the assistant coaches advice because they knew that we were the ones on the field and that anyone can have a good idea. I'll tell you one major problem he has as a coach is he doesn't use all his weapons. Last year is a prime example. PC likes to focus on one or two players instead of getting his whole team involved, which would make everyone feel important and play better. Look at all the past champions (the Patriots, Celtics, Gators, etc.) they used ALL their weapons and spread the field. PC likes to use 1 RB to run and 1 WR to throw to.

 

Plain and simple the players spoke loudly how they feel by how many turned out to play. They know the truth. To the parents and teachers on this site, how many more kids have to suffer because the adults aren't running a fair program? High school football isn't supposed to be how it is in Winchester, and I'll continue to pray that God brings out the truth so those kids can have good memories and not bad ones. Why do you think only 2 or 3 former players return every homecoming?

 

To be honest, I'm more upset at the parents than at the coaches. All you have to do is unite as one, pray, and demand change. I tried to make positive changes while my son was there, but all I got was a hand in my face, and I mean that literally. Stop complaining and start taking action! Here's a suggestion. Have a meeting with all the students and just listen! Yes they're only teens, but they are not kids. They're smarter than you think if you just treat them that way.

Edited by Ram
Rule 12

Now that it has been a couple of months since many of you last posted, Which QB do you think will replace Mason as QB now?

What are some strengths of these QB's and what are some things they still need to work on?

Senior - Gillespie

Juniors - Creteau & Menchen

Sophomores - Barnes, Dini & Skinner?

 

Here is what I have heard...

Gillespie has been a little banged up and because of that others have taken his reps with the offense. A decent player with some experience at the varsity level.

Creteau has suffered an injury to his arm and his season may be in jeopardy.

Menchen was a front runner until he missed several two-a-day practices. Good attitude and is a workout warrior who had great attendance in the off season workout program, attended 2 QB camps this summer, has a good arm and is capable of managing the game.

Dini is taking the majority of snaps with the 1st team offense. He is tall and a good athlete with decent speed. He seems to be progressing nicely, gets better and more confident with every practice. His throwing is also improving.

Barnes and Skinner are both also getting snaps with the offense. Skinner is a good athlete with good speed and a good arm. Barnes is a tough kid who has decent speed and decent arm. I heard that he attended the QB camp at the University of Florida this summer. Both are good athletes that may be more valuable to the team at other positions.

This is just what I have heard.

I'd say Dini will be the starting QB August 30th against Montgomery Co...They say he's been playing really well as of late.

I'd say Dini will be the starting QB August 30th against Montgomery Co...They say he's been playing really well as of late.

 

Same thing I heard too. Thought he may be the QB all along. And as posted above, some of the players are needed at other positions. I feel this will only help us down the road in the coming years, as we have had to play a new QB it seems every year.

That's pretty much what I heard as well. What I heard is...

On Gillespie - That he wasn't there that much in the off season which is why another QB got "his spot"

Creteau - Is injured. I was surprised he even came back at all this year anyway because he is focusing more on baseball.

Menchen - thought he would be the front runner for this spot. He IS a HARD worker that's for sure. Agree that his missing 2 a days really hurt him. He went to an air force camp, which is where he is headed with his future, so you really can't fault him.

Dini - it was said he got the spot only because he was the one that was there the most in the off season. They actually asked Jarrod Thomas to be QB but he declined. I differ a little on this aspect, but Dini is known to have led in his feet, he can not scramble at all. He was QB at Conkwright Barnes was QB at Clark Middle. Clark Middle went undefeated the last two years beating out Conkwright. Dini had a so so arm, but ending this on a more positive note...he does look ALOT better with his throwing now than he ever has anytime in the past. Maybe the more snaps are paying off for him.

Barnes and Skinner are definately naturally athletic, work hard, and have that "passion" for the game. Both would be an asset anywhere they are placed on a field. They hit, can take a hit, run fast and Barnes has a nice arm.

I can't wait for the season to start to enjoy watching all the players give it their all. Scrimmage 15th in Whitley Co. Anyone going?

 

Here is what I have heard...

Gillespie has been a little banged up and because of that others have taken his reps with the offense. A decent player with some experience at the varsity level.

Creteau has suffered an injury to his arm and his season may be in jeopardy.

Menchen was a front runner until he missed several two-a-day practices. Good attitude and is a workout warrior who had great attendance in the off season workout program, attended 2 QB camps this summer, has a good arm and is capable of managing the game.

Dini is taking the majority of snaps with the 1st team offense. He is tall and a good athlete with decent speed. He seems to be progressing nicely, gets better and more confident with every practice. His throwing is also improving.

Barnes and Skinner are both also getting snaps with the offense. Skinner is a good athlete with good speed and a good arm. Barnes is a tough kid who has decent speed and decent arm. I heard that he attended the QB camp at the University of Florida this summer. Both are good athletes that may be more valuable to the team at other positions.

This is just what I have heard.

What is Clark County football coming to when you have three average at best SOPHOMORES frontrunners for the QB JOB! I have seen all three sophmores play and none are true quarter backs, only put in the position due to no other options... it was mentioned that Clark Middle beat Conkwright..............that is a yearly event due to size of school not talent. I hope the plans for one middle school works out so the Highschool will be able to guide the middle school and work on building a program! Some changes have to take place SOON in the Highschool program or the damage will take many years to fix...

What is Clark County football coming to when you have three average at best SOPHOMORES frontrunners for the QB JOB! I have seen all three sophmores play and none are true quarter backs, only put in the position due to no other options... it was mentioned that Clark Middle beat Conkwright..............that is a yearly event due to size of school not talent. I hope the plans for one middle school works out so the Highschool will be able to guide the middle school and work on building a program! Some changes have to take place SOON in the Highschool program or the damage will take many years to fix...

 

It seems that you are predicting the demise of Clark County football. Clark County is just a couple of years removed from a nice playoff run. Also, the pool of talent just is not what it has been in the past. There are also some talented players that could help the team but (for whatever reason) will not put forth the effort to participate in the footbal program. Unfortunately, this seems to be a problem in many schools across the state.

With regards to the QB situation. Having 3 sophomores competing for that position can't be bad. I've heard that the junior (Menchen) was the front runner at the start of the summer and because of his work ethic may work his way back to #1. Time will tell.

It seems that you are predicting the demise of Clark County football. Clark County is just a couple of years removed from a nice playoff run. Also, the pool of talent just is not what it has been in the past. There are also some talented players that could help the team but (for whatever reason) will not put forth the effort to participate in the footbal program. Unfortunately, this seems to be a problem in many schools across the state.

With regards to the QB situation. Having 3 sophomores competing for that position can't be bad. I've heard that the junior (Menchen) was the front runner at the start of the summer and because of his work ethic may work his way back to #1. Time will tell.

 

I disagree that the talent level is down, especially last year. That graduating class was one of the best through middle school up to varsity that's played in quite along time. They just didn't produce for whatever reason that may be.

I disagree that the talent level is down, especially last year. That graduating class was one of the best through middle school up to varsity that's played in quite along time. They just didn't produce for whatever reason that may be.

 

I agree, Clark has as much talent as anyone in KY.

I agree, Clark has as much talent as anyone in KY.

 

.Most of Clark Counties talent is playing other sports. Robert Hatton was one of the smartest QB's in civitan and middle school there has been in a while in Clark Co. Robbie Stenzel was a game changer also. I can't blame them for not playing in a program that has little success in the past few years despite some of the most talented teams seen in a long time. Last years seniors who had been Cowboys in civitan and attended Conkwright were undefeated until they got to the Highschool! The players you have mentioned are descent athletes but lack a lot of the talent of teams in the past, and the coaching staff, IMHO, is not able to compete in the 6A class. Looking at the schedule Clark will be lucky to win a single game this year. Quarterbacks are hard to train if they don't have the basic ability to learn plays and be able to react with intelligent decisions in a split second. I love Clark County sports as much as the next guy, but reality is reality and trying to sugar coat issues does not win football games. I have been wrong before and hope I am this time. I just don't see this program as being able to win games week in and week out on a consistent basis.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.