Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2008 George Rogers Clark

Featured Replies

I do agree, Robert Hatton is just a solid mentally prepared player in any sport he plays in.

Robbie Stenzel, on the other hand is older than most kids he played with so I don't think it's fair to include him. His family held him back, not for academics, but for basketball. He never had any intentions of joining the football program, whether they were winning OR losing.

The Cowboys... a team who always "somehow" ends up stacked each year. Just look at a couple of years ago, they added a 3rd coach at the very last minute just so his son would go on the cowboys. How sad!! Don't get upset anyone because I speak on it...the whole town is anyway. Kinda of like how the award at the GRC banquet usually goes to a past "Cowboys" player.

The chances are better of finding more talent if you are the school that has the most kids, but those kids still have to be coached. Clark Middle has gone undefeated, but props to Conkwright as well because they only ususally lose 1 game a season...but wasn't the season changed a few years back making it to where they play easier teams now. I'm not certain on this "rumor" which is why I'm asking.

But maybe this favortism, making a weaker schedule, and all the other political things that goes into our football here in Clark Co is catching up to us at the High School level, when we DO have to play other good teams.

Win or lose...I still support all the kids and coaches who go out there and bust their butt day in and day out.

I prefer the wins tho!! LOL

Edited by gold sunrise
Rule #8

  • Replies 84
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree, Robert Hatton is just a solid mentally prepared player in any sport he plays in.

Robbie Stenzel, on the other hand is older than most kids he played with so I don't think it's fair to include him. His family held him back, not for academics, but for basketball. He never had any intentions of joining the football program, whether they were winning OR losing.

The Cowboys... a team who always "somehow" ends up stacked each year. Just look at a couple of years ago, they added a 3rd coach at the very last minute just so his son would go on the cowboys. How sad!! Don't get upset anyone because I speak on it...the whole town is anyway. Kinda of like how the award at the GRC banquet usually goes to a past "Cowboys" player.

The chances are better of finding more talent if you are the school that has the most kids, but those kids still have to be coached. Clark Middle has gone undefeated, but props to Conkwright as well because they only ususally lose 1 game a season...but wasn't the season changed a few years back making it to where they play easier teams now. I'm not certain on this "rumor" which is why I'm asking.

But maybe this favortism, making a weaker schedule, and all the other political things that goes into our football here in Clark Co is catching up to us at the High School level, when we DO have to play other good teams.

Win or lose...I still support all the kids and coaches who go out there and bust their butt day in and day out.

I prefer the wins tho!! LOL

 

I think your on to something ProppaStyle. From what I know the two middle schools play in the Bluegrass Middle School Conference. Clark County middle school teams play what have to be considered "weaker" (no disrespect intended) schools (Bourbon, Estill, Powell etc) in their conference. Granted, they have excelled in their division but are not as dominant when they play teams in the other division. IMO playing these schools may give the impression that the talent level is better than what it is. Don't get me wrong there ARE plenty of talented players on this football team!!:thumb: But it is tough to compete with the Tates Creeks, Henry Clays, Madison Centrals and Scott Counties year in and year out.

Also, I am with you... wins would be nice but, win or lose I have to respect any coaches and kids who are working their tails off to represent their school!!

I think your on to something ProppaStyle. From what I know the two middle schools play in the Bluegrass Middle School Conference. Clark County middle school teams play what have to be considered "weaker" (no disrespect intended) schools (Bourbon, Estill, Powell etc) in their conference. Granted, they have excelled in their division but are not as dominant when they play teams in the other division. IMO playing these schools may give the impression that the talent level is better than what it is. Don't get me wrong there ARE plenty of talented players on this football team!!:thumb: But it is tough to compete with the Tates Creeks, Henry Clays, Madison Centrals and Scott Counties year in and year out.

Also, I am with you... wins would be nice but, win or lose I have to respect any coaches and kids who are working their tails off to represent their school!!

 

I agree....that is why I hate to hear all the negative comments. The staff and kids need our support.

Something has to change. Or at least give everyone the idea that something has changed. The kids in this town have no faith in this coaching staff, and the main reason is because of all of the negative comments that the adults in the town circulate. I've said it several times that what Columbia needs to do is bring in an offensive coordinator. But they don't just need to hire him, they need to bring him in and place him on a pedestal. Have the paper write an article about him and how he is going to help turn this team around not much happens in Winchester it should make the front page. This should help to spike an interest in the team again. Granted this would not help to fix the numbers this year but in my opinion would be a good idea for next year. Now as for the 07 team from everything I've heard its wasn't only the coaches but the players also. Having played with all of these players in 06 I really feel that this is true. The 07 squad of seniors played awesome together when they were winning but as soon as the score went the other way everything that happened immediately became the coaches fault to the point where they felt the play was going to fail before they ran it. I am going to assume that this same trend carried over to 07 season. I think alot of this, as you have all pointed out, is because this team spent very little time losing and therefore did not play well through adversity. For the most part the majority of the squad handled the adversity well, but the few players that didn't were key play makers. Again though these are just assumptions based on previous events.

Gillespie is not attending all practices… Menchen is too small to be a starting qb in 6A football… Hope all turns around at GRC

Something has to change. Or at least give everyone the idea that something has changed. The kids in this town have no faith in this coaching staff, and the main reason is because of all of the negative comments that the adults in the town circulate. I've said it several times that what Columbia needs to do is bring in an offensive coordinator. But they don't just need to hire him, they need to bring him in and place him on a pedestal. Have the paper write an article about him and how he is going to help turn this team around not much happens in Winchester it should make the front page. This should help to spike an interest in the team again. Granted this would not help to fix the numbers this year but in my opinion would be a good idea for next year. Now as for the 07 team from everything I've heard its wasn't only the coaches but the players also. Having played with all of these players in 06 I really feel that this is true. The 07 squad of seniors played awesome together when they were winning but as soon as the score went the other way everything that happened immediately became the coaches fault to the point where they felt the play was going to fail before they ran it. I am going to assume that this same trend carried over to 07 season. I think alot of this, as you have all pointed out, is because this team spent very little time losing and therefore did not play well through adversity. For the most part the majority of the squad handled the adversity well, but the few players that didn't were key play makers. Again though these are just assumptions based on previous events.

 

Good post Varsity Card. An Offensive Coordinator would seem to be a reasonable change that could have a positive impact on the team. I have only seen a few of GRC's games and IMO the play calling at times was puzzling. However, the Coordinator will only be as good as the players on the field. Sean Salisbury of ESPN has a great quote about the importance of having good players to match good coaching, "It's not the X's and O's that make the difference it's the Jimmy's and Joe's."

 

Gillespie is not attending all practices… Menchen is too small to be a starting qb in 6A football… Hope all turns around at GRC

 

Is Gillespie hurt?.... While size is nice to have, I'm not certain that it should be the determining factor. There are alot of 'smaller' athletes that thrive in athletics. What they lack in size they make up for in heart and desire. As a coach I think that I'd rather have 'smaller' players with heart and desire than the bigger player that "look like Tarzan but play like Jane." Actually, I would prefer to have a roster full of bigger athletes that had size, heart, and desire!!;)

Is Gillespie hurt?.... While size is nice to have, I'm not certain that it should be the determining factor. There are alot of 'smaller' athletes that thrive in athletics. What they lack in size they make up for in heart and desire. As a coach I think that I'd rather have 'smaller' players with heart and desire than the bigger player that "look like Tarzan but play like Jane." Actually, I would prefer to have a roster full of bigger athletes that had size, heart, and desire!!;)

 

 

Gillespie is not hurt; the coach just went a different way.

Edited by STRIKE3
fixed quote

Gillespie is not hurt; the coach just went a different way.

And he is OK with it. Said he practiced on the line the other day. Anyone know how the scrimmage went Friday night?

According to my brother...The scrimmage pretty much went the way everybody thought it would. He analized it as being a young team.

Woodford this Friday @ 8:30

The Cowboys... a team who always "somehow" ends up stacked each year.... Don't get upset anyone because I speak on it...the whole town is anyway. Kinda of like how the award at the GRC banquet usually goes to a past "Cowboys" player.

 

I think the reason former Cowboys players win the Joe Bordas Award is because they are taught early in the football careers leadership qualities and the right way to go about things on and off the field. And its important that when talking about an award as important as this one, you understand that this award is solely based on a player vote, the coaches or any outside source that may be believed to influence the outcome is strictly propaganda.

I think the reason former Cowboys players win the Joe Bordas Award is because they are taught early in the football careers leadership qualities and the right way to go about things on and off the field. And its important that when talking about an award as important as this one, you understand that this award is solely based on a player vote, the coaches or any outside source that may be believed to influence the outcome is strictly propaganda.

 

Big Red is right and in the four years I was there, the players always seem to choose the right person.

Edited by STRIKE3

Big Red is right and in the four years I was there, the players always seem to choose the right person.

 

What is the criteria for the award?

What is the criteria for the award?

 

I wish I could quote the criteria word for word but I don't know it anymore. Basically though its similar to a 110% award except that its based a lot more on moral fiber, integrity, playing through adversity and leading by example. I'm sure there are more but that just some examples I can think of.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

I wish I could quote the criteria word for word but I don't know it anymore. Basically though its similar to a 110% award except that its based a lot more on moral fiber, integrity, playing through adversity and leading by example. I'm sure there are more but that just some examples I can think of.

 

I understand, sounds like a leadership or character type of award. The Cowboys, are they a local team that competes only outside the community or are they part of a community league.

 

If they are part of a league, who allows the team to be stacked?

Was Columbia the coach of the state championship team. I remember when the folks in Clark co. thought he was awesome.

 

Has the game changed and he hasn't ...or have the players and parents attitudes changed? I say this because I think the above is a harsh commentary of a quality coach.

 

No, he was an assistant, which is exactly what he should be right now. I played for coach Columbia and think he is a great person. He knows the game of football, but cannot manage a whole team. No disrespect to PC but the run in 06 occured because our team (especially the seniors) was just that much better than the opposition. And if you look back at their losses play calling played an enormous role in those games. That being said, I have been telling guys on our team for years that no matter what play is called, they still have to go out and execute it. No excuses.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.