Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

3 Point Line Question for 08-09???

Featured Replies

Mens college 3 point line is moving back 1 foot. Is High School going to follow?

 

Thanks...

You know, I bet high school doesn't move for awhile, simply because repainting/refinishing the floors of every gym would take time and be expensive.

 

Also, I'm not totally sure the NCAA make this move permanent. It could go back in a couple years.

It will be some time before high schools move their 3 point line, and I'd say it may never happen.

  • Author

I doubt the NCAA will ever go back. Also wonder if the college girls line is changing?

I do not think this would happen just because the cost of refinishing the floors would take time and would be expensive.

 

 

Does anyone know exactly why the NCAA is moving the 3 point line?

On a bit of a seperate issue, I believe it would really help the game of basketball if the 3 point line in grade school and maybe even middle school was done away with. Way too many kids try to shoot 3s and kills their shooting form. Its impossible for most kids to shoot 3s with the appropriate form because they aren't strong enough.

I totally agree LMB. Just watch a bunch of little boys free shooting. 90% of the shots they take are from behind the arc and most are shooting from the hip or with 2 hands.

I do not think this would happen just because the cost of refinishing the floors would take time and would be expensive.

 

 

Does anyone know exactly why the NCAA is moving the 3 point line?

 

I think part of the reason was to get the middle to open up and get the clutter of defenders out away from the basket. Get some of the big kids away from the paint and to ease up on some of the rough play around the basket. Also considering the trapizoid lane like international play for the same reasons. Personally, I think it may have the opposite effect they are hoping for. I think if you move the 3 point line back there will likely be more saging defenses and help on the inside play since you should not be able to make the 3 as easily and would not have to guard the 3 as honestly .

LMB and cheapseats I couldn't agree with you two more. My little brother plays basketball for his elementary school and hopefully will be playing next year in middle school. When I watch his shooting inside his form is not bad but when he tries 3's he completely changes form and he ends up jumping forward as he shoots with two hands. After he attempts a 3 its obvious it takes a few inside shots before he gets back to normal.

On a bit of a seperate issue, I believe it would really help the game of basketball if the 3 point line in grade school and maybe even middle school was done away with. Way too many kids try to shoot 3s and kills their shooting form. Its impossible for most kids to shoot 3s with the appropriate form because they aren't strong enough.

 

Ok... So when you have four seconds left down by three and you hit that big shot you don't want the kids to be able to tie it up. Not having a three takes a lot of excitement and fun for the kids out of the game. If you don't want your kids shooting them coach them not too.

By the way both of the above scenarios can and do happen... in fact they both have in the past two years that I've coached grade school basketball.

Ok... So when you have four seconds left down by three and you hit that big shot you don't want the kids to be able to tie it up. Not having a three takes a lot of excitement and fun for the kids out of the game. If you don't want your kids shooting them coach them not too.

 

You are entitled to your opinion. I am just saying something that would help young players develop better shooting habits at an earlier stage. I do believe that atleast through 6th grade, they should not have the 3 point shot. After that I can see having the 3 more so than before.

You are entitled to your opinion. I am just saying something that would help young players develop better shooting habits at an earlier stage. I do believe that atleast through 6th grade, they should not have the 3 point shot. After that I can see having the 3 more so than before.
:thumb: Good post.
You are entitled to your opinion. I am just saying something that would help young players develop better shooting habits at an earlier stage. I do believe that atleast through 6th grade, they should not have the 3 point shot. After that I can see having the 3 more so than before.

 

Ok, well I can understand it a little better if you are only talking below sixth grade. I have coached in one league where three pointers didn't count until the fourth quarter. It was a girl's league, and the rule actually played out very nice.

On a bit of a seperate issue, I believe it would really help the game of basketball if the 3 point line in grade school and maybe even middle school was done away with. Way too many kids try to shoot 3s and kills their shooting form. Its impossible for most kids to shoot 3s with the appropriate form because they aren't strong enough.

AMEN. I completely agree, but it won't happen. All I see when grade school kids warm up is kids literally throwing the ball from the 3 point line. I think it should be fazed in for Jr. high age players.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.