March 17, 200818 yr Author I know it sounded sarcastic but it wasn't... It's good for the program and fans. IMO I agree. Just giving a small personal blast on how it changes my week...
March 17, 200818 yr I don't think I've ever heard of the CBI until reading this thread. I had to look it up to see what it's about. Its a new tourney just put in this year, I believe it's a 16 team tourney. More money for everyone basically.
March 17, 200818 yr The best part about the CBI, they are playing a best 2 of 3 in the championship game. They might as well just put stickers on the court for a "20 point shot" or a "10 point shot" Absolute joke, I wish my Virginia team just said no thanks and moved on from a bad season, but what can you do.
March 17, 200818 yr I think we'll eventually find out a fair number of teams turned down this tourney. Apparently, they were requiring each team to pay them $60K upfront for the right to be part of this tourney and since no one knows how well it will do at the gates or on TV, it was not worth the risk for some schools.
March 17, 200818 yr Who is running this tournament, and how many teams are in it? http://www.gazellegroup.com/cbi/cbi_bracket08.pdf
March 17, 200818 yr UC might go down in history as one of only 16 teams to ever play in this tournament. I can't imagine it coming back. I was on record early in the year when UK was stinking it up that no way in heck would I accept a bid to this event if I were either BCG or Mitch B. Unless you're a program that has simply never made the NCAA/NIT (say Ivy League or last place SWAC) then I don't see how this has any positives to it. I think its bad for UC. I would have passed if I were Mick.
March 17, 200818 yr Author UC might go down in history as one of only 16 teams to ever play in this tournament. I can't imagine it coming back. I was on record early in the year when UK was stinking it up that no way in heck would I accept a bid to this event if I were either BCG or Mitch B. Unless you're a program that has simply never made the NCAA/NIT (say Ivy League or last place SWAC) then I don't see how this has any positives to it. I think its bad for UC. I would have passed if I were Mick. While I'm not a huge fan of accepting the bid, Mick is treating it as a reward to the guys that came in and saved the program...
March 18, 200818 yr While I'm not a huge fan of accepting the bid, Mick is treating it as a reward to the guys that came in and saved the program... If I were Mick, I'd give them a huge sendoff at the banquet as their reward. Mick is trying to build a program (or get it back to where it was). Its all about perception with recruits and I don't see this doing anything for recruiting down the road. Mick's a skilled recruiter so maybe he can overcome this negative perception and this is an academic discussion.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.