Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who are the "Terrible Twenty" 6A coaches...

Featured Replies

I asked that because it is still used in some public schools with parental permission. Therefore, I figured that it could still be used in Catholic Schools. I suppose the ultimate form of punishment that Catholic schools have that some privats schools do not is expultion.

 

 

Where?

  • Replies 100
  • Views 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where?

 

More schools than you think. It has to be agreed on by the parents and they are normally asked to be a witness. Most schools do not use it that have the option because they are worried about after the fact law suits. I would like to dive a little deeper into these questions, but posters will not likely have this information. This includes how many students a year are given scholarships that would have an IEP in a public school system? How many students are expelled on an average per year? Have Trinity or X ever accepted a student that has already been expelled for discipline issues from another school system?

Where?

 

Each public school in the state has that option and the decision to allow it is given to the district's board of education.

More schools than you think. It has to be agreed on by the parents and they are normally asked to be a witness. Most schools do not use it that have the option because they are worried about after the fact law suits. I would like to dive a little deeper into these questions, but posters will not likely have this information. This includes how many students a year are given scholarships that would have an IEP in a public school system? How many students are expelled on an average per year? Have Trinity or X ever accepted a student that has already been expelled for discipline issues from another school system?

 

Can you please use financial aid instead of scholarships. At the private school I am associated with, any merit based scholarships are given to current students, and are based on academic awards. Financial aid is avaliable to any student who qualifies and applies, but of course the decision is made outside the school as to who and how much. Not saying this is your intention, but someone can get the idea that there is some committee that picks certian students to get a certian amount of money. Especially when put in the context of what happened with Lexington Christian Academy, it is something that is a difference that not everyone gets.

 

We have a small population of students who would have an IEP in a public school, and some who have had discipline issues as well. We are starting the same type of program that Trinity has for students with learning differences or disabilities, in the hopes that anyone in the Diocese of Lexington that wants a Catholic Education has access to it.

Can you please use financial aid instead of scholarships. At the private school I am associated with, any merit based scholarships are given to current students, and are based on academic awards. Financial aid is avaliable to any student who qualifies and applies, but of course the decision is made outside the school as to who and how much. Not saying this is your intention, but someone can get the idea that there is some committee that picks certian students to get a certian amount of money. Especially when put in the context of what happened with Lexington Christian Academy, it is something that is a difference that not everyone gets.

 

We have a small population of students who would have an IEP in a public school, and some who have had discipline issues as well. We are starting the same type of program that Trinity has for students with learning differences or disabilities, in the hopes that anyone in the Diocese of Lexington that wants a Catholic Education has access to it.

 

That is part of my question. How are these scholarships decided?

That is part of my question. How are these scholarships decided?

 

 

Here's a generic example of what scholarships may be awarded:

 

The "Harvard Book Club Scholarship" is given to a student who encompases certian values service to community and academic achievement. Probably goes to a Soph or Jr. student. Usually between $50-$300 to be put towards tuition. Voted by all teachers, guidance dept.

 

Usually awarded at an end of school Academic Awards Banquet.

 

Help any?

More schools than you think. It has to be agreed on by the parents and they are normally asked to be a witness. Most schools do not use it that have the option because they are worried about after the fact law suits. I would like to dive a little deeper into these questions, but posters will not likely have this information. This includes how many students a year are given scholarships that would have an IEP in a public school system? How many students are expelled on an average per year? Have Trinity or X ever accepted a student that has already been expelled for discipline issues from another school system?

 

To the latter, I belive that they have accepted students who have been in trouble in public schools. Now, given the lengths to which the public schools go to NOT expel children, I'm not sure if any have been actually expelled.

 

As to the financial aid award, I don't have a clue. I can tell you from the Trinity website statistics given, that a significant portion of the student body as a whole are awarded financial aid. Frankly, I don't feel it's any of my business to know who receives financial aid, and how much. I would feel the same about kids who were eligible for lunch assistance in public schools. They're all students of the same institution, and hopefully with the same goals...an education. Whether or not they received assistance should not reflect on their "status". Given the anonymous nature of the award process for financial aid, I doubt anyone would be able to attain a "list" of award recepients. The statistics will have to suffice.

To the latter, I belive that they have accepted students who have been in trouble in public schools. Now, given the lengths to which the public schools go to NOT expel children, I'm not sure if any have been actually expelled.

 

As to the financial aid award, I don't have a clue. I can tell you from the Trinity website statistics given, that a significant portion of the student body as a whole are awarded financial aid. Frankly, I don't feel it's any of my business to know who receives financial aid, and how much. I would feel the same about kids who were eligible for lunch assistance in public schools. They're all students of the same institution, and hopefully with the same goals...an education. Whether or not they received assistance should not reflect on their "status". Given the anonymous nature of the award process for financial aid, I doubt anyone would be able to attain a "list" of award recepients. The statistics will have to suffice.

 

I agree and I wouldn't want to hear student names, I would just like to know statistical categories.

94-There is a list of scholarships at Trinity on the website, as well as the criteria that must be met in order to be awarded.

Here's a generic example of what scholarships may be awarded:

 

The "Harvard Book Club Scholarship" is given to a student who encompases certian values service to community and academic achievement. Probably goes to a Soph or Jr. student. Usually between $50-$300 to be put towards tuition. Voted by all teachers, guidance dept.

 

Usually awarded at an end of school Academic Awards Banquet.

 

Help any?

 

OK. Does the student apply to the school for admittance, then apply for aid and scholarships. Or is aid availability known before they apply. Otherwise, is it certain as long as I get in, an my income meets the need base, that I will recieve aid?

To the latter, I belive that they have accepted students who have been in trouble in public schools. Now, given the lengths to which the public schools go to NOT expel children, I'm not sure if any have been actually expelled.

 

As to the financial aid award, I don't have a clue. I can tell you from the Trinity website statistics given, that a significant portion of the student body as a whole are awarded financial aid. Frankly, I don't feel it's any of my business to know who receives financial aid, and how much. I would feel the same about kids who were eligible for lunch assistance in public schools. They're all students of the same institution, and hopefully with the same goals...an education. Whether or not they received assistance should not reflect on their "status". Given the anonymous nature of the award process for financial aid, I doubt anyone would be able to attain a "list" of award recepients. The statistics will have to suffice.

 

It ain't the lengths we go to, legally we are extremely limited on expulsion almost to the point of not being able to expel. Even with expulsion we have to pay(from my understanding) for them to continue being educated that year. Choices are home programs or internet and virtual high schools at the cost of the district.

 

I have been told that with a certain group of students, they could punch me and would be back in my classroom the next day depending on the # of days they have already been suspended and expulsion is not an option.

It ain't the lengths we go to, legally we are extremely limited on expulsion almost to the point of not being able to expel. Even with expulsion we have to pay(from my understanding) for them to continue being educated that year. Choices are home programs or internet and virtual high schools at the cost of the district.

 

I have been told that with a certain group of students, they could punch me and would be back in my classroom the next day depending on the # of days they have already been suspended and expulsion is not an option.

 

That also depends on the public school. Most of the public school in Campbell County can expell due to the fact they can still be provided transportation to a different public school.

OK. Does the student apply to the school for admittance, then apply for aid and scholarships. Or is aid availability known before they apply. Otherwise, is it certain as long as I get in, an my income meets the need base, that I will recieve aid?

 

If an 8th grader wants to enroll, they must fill out a registration packet(name address previous school- just general info), then must take the placement test, and pay the registraton fee. After doing that and being accepted(I don't know the exact number, but feel safe in saying that less than 0.1% of applicants are rejected) then the family fills out the financial aid packet. The finacial aid packet is sent to a Minnesota based company called FAIR(Financial Aid Independent Review), which takes families finanical and tax information, and comes up with an amount of aid provided by the families. The school has a yearly fund which is only used for financial aid for it's students. Maximum aid recived is 50% of tuition.

 

All merit scholarships are handled through the awards.

That also depends on the public school. Most of the public school in Campbell County can expell due to the fact they can still be provided transportation to a different public school.

 

But they have to provide the cost of transportation for that student to attend the other school, correct? It would be the same for mine. We could expel and then pay the cost of transportation and commit one bus driver and bus to taking that student to another school district.

OK. Does the student apply to the school for admittance, then apply for aid and scholarships. Or is aid availability known before they apply. Otherwise, is it certain as long as I get in, an my income meets the need base, that I will recieve aid?

 

 

A student takes the placement test at the school that he/she wishes to attend in December of the 8th grade year. After that point, the general rule is that a student has chosen his/her school. Once that has been done, the family is sent their enrollment packet in late December/early Janauary, if I remember correctly. The financial aid form must be filled out and returned in February for the next year. It's very similar to the FASFA process. In the early part of the next year after the placement exam is taken, the student and his/her family meet with an advisor to determine what classes he/she will be placed in. Financial aid award notification is not sent until May, I believe. I know it's way after the advisement process. Scholarships are not awarded until late spring either.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.