Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Most appearances in the sweet 16?

Featured Replies

Which team has the most appearances at state?

 

I know in the 9th Holmes leads the way with 19. (Including 3 in the past 4 years.)

 

Who around the state has more than that?

  • Replies 42
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owensboro has the record with 41.

 

Ashland, Henry Clay, Male, Manual and St. Xavier have made numerous trips over the years. Paducah Tilghman and Clay County also have quite a few. All of the previous schools are around 25+ trips.

I could be wrong, but I think Hazard has made several trips as well.

I could be wrong, but I think Hazard has made several trips as well.

 

Correct. 29, I believe.

 

I'm at work so I can't get a definite list. I'll give the final tally when I get home!

Shelby County has 14 trips to Sweet 16 this one is 15th. They are

2-0 when they play in the finals. 2-1 when play in semi finals. 11-4 in opening rd game. Won two state championships. One in 1966 and one in 1978.

Which team has the most appearances at state?

 

I know in the 9th Holmes leads the way with 19. (Including 3 in the past 4 years.)

 

Who around the state has more than that?

Counting this year, this is the Sweetest 16:

 

Owensboro ... 41

Ashland ... 32

Hazard ... 29

Clay County ... 27

Henry Clay ... 26

Paducah Tilghman ... 25

Clark County ... 21

Male ... 20

Maysville ... 18

Central City ... 17

St. Xavier ... 17

Shelby County ... 16

Danville ... 16

Monticello ... 15

Pikeville ... 15

Madisonville ... 14

 

Holmes only has 11, counting this year.

  • Author
Counting this year, this is the Sweetest 16:

 

Owensboro ... 41

Ashland ... 32

Hazard ... 29

Clay County ... 27

Henry Clay ... 26

Paducah Tilghman ... 25

Clark County ... 21

Male ... 20

Maysville ... 18

Central City ... 17

St. Xavier ... 17

Shelby County ... 16

Danville ... 16

Monticello ... 15

Pikeville ... 15

Madisonville ... 14

 

Holmes only has 11, counting this year.

 

 

I believe you might be wrong on that one. Holmes has won the region title 19 times.

 

Holmes beat its longtime rival 64-50 on Wednesday night at Conner, claiming its second straight regional title and the program's 19th overall.

 

From: http://news.nky.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080313/SPT0302/803130371/-1/SPT

I believe you might be wrong on that one. Holmes has won the region title 19 times.

 

Holmes beat its longtime rival 64-50 on Wednesday night at Conner, claiming its second straight regional title and the program's 19th overall.

 

From: http://news.nky.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080313/SPT0302/803130371/-1/SPT

According to the Sweet 16 program from last year, Holmes had nine appearances through 2006. The last two years puts them at 11.

 

There is a "Covington" listed that had eight appearances through 1945 ... if that was the predecessor to Holmes, then I guess the number is 19. But the KHSAA doesn't officially recognize it that way.

  • Author
According to the Sweet 16 program from last year, Holmes had nine appearances through 2006. The last two years puts them at 11.

 

I'm assuming 8 of the region titles came before the sweet 16 existence then. Thanks. :thumb:

I'm assuming 8 of the region titles came before the sweet 16 existence then. Thanks. :thumb:
Refer to post #8 ...

Listed are the top five in Sweet Sixteen appearances currently in each region:

 

Region 1

26 Paducah Tilghman

7 Mayfield

6 Carlisle County, Graves County

5 Heath, Marshall County

 

Region 2

14 Christian County, Madisonville-North Hopkins

6 Dawson Springs, University Heights

4 Henderson County, Hopkinsville

 

Region 3

41 Owensboro

8 Apollo

7 Daviess County

5 Breckinridge County

4 Muhlenberg North

 

Region 4

11 Bowling Green

10 Allen County-Scottsville, Warren Central

9 Warren East

6 Glasgow

 

Region 5

11 North Hardin

6 Bardstown, Elizabethtown

5 Taylor County

4 Adair County, Caverna, Larue County

 

Region 6

12 Pleasure Ridge Park

9 Central, Fairdale, Valley

4 Doss

 

Region 7

20 Male

17 St. Xavier

13 Ballard, Manual

5 Eastern

 

Region 8

15 Shelby County

13 Oldham County

4 Anderson County

3 Eminence, Walton-Verona

 

Region 9

12 Highlands, Newport

11 Holmes

8 Covington Catholic, Newport Central Catholic

 

Region 10

21 Clark County

12 Mason County

10 Paris

9 Harrison County

4 Bourbon County

 

Region 11

26 Henry Clay

12 Lafayette, Scott County

9 Lexington Catholic

6 Frankfort

 

Region 12

16 Danville

15 Monticello

11 Somerset

7 Wayne County

4 Lincoln County, McCreary Central, Pulaski County

 

Region 13

27 Clay County

12 Corbin, Harlan

6 South Laurel

4 Bell County, Knox Central, Middlesboro

 

Region 14

29 Hazard

11 Breathitt County

7 Knott County Central

5 Perry County Central

2 Buckhorn, Lee County, Powell County

 

Region 15

14 Pikeville

9 Paintsville

5 Betsy Layne, Johnson Central

4 Shelby Valley

 

Region 16

32 Ashland

10 Boyd County

6 Russell

5 Greenup County

4 Rowan County

Region 4

11 Bowling Green

10 Allen County-Scottsville, Warren Central

9 Warren East

6 Glasgow

 

That AC/S total includes titles won before consolidation of Allen County and Scottsville. AC/S itself has only won two titles.

According to the Sweet 16 program from last year, Holmes had nine appearances through 2006. The last two years puts them at 11.

 

There is a "Covington" listed that had eight appearances through 1945 ... if that was the predecessor to Holmes, then I guess the number is 19. But the KHSAA doesn't officially recognize it that way.

 

:thumb:You are correct Sir..

  • Author
According to the Sweet 16 program from last year, Holmes had nine appearances through 2006. The last two years puts them at 11.

 

There is a "Covington" listed that had eight appearances through 1945 ... if that was the predecessor to Holmes, then I guess the number is 19. But the KHSAA doesn't officially recognize it that way.

 

So technically "Holmes" only has 11 but altogether the "School" has 19 appearances. I know there are banners hanging in Holmes rafters for winning region in he late 30's and early 40's.

That AC/S total includes titles won before consolidation of Allen County and Scottsville. AC/S itself has only won two titles.

 

True. The KHSAA counts Allen County & Allen County-Scottsville as one school. Scottsville High's title in 1948 isn't included.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.