March 11, 200818 yr :thumb: We Bengal fans can brag to Browns fans because the Bengals have at least been to two Super Bowls. :p 0 and 2.....:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa
March 11, 200818 yr Lucky that only happens once in 17 years. New name: The Cincinnati Cicadas :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::thumb:
March 11, 200818 yr 3) Who dey... I mean, SERIOUSLY?!? This is what Bengals fans come up with? Even worse, we stole it. The Saints came up with it, I believe.
March 11, 200818 yr Even worse, we stole it. The Saints came up with it, I believe. The saints actually took it from the Bengals. Who dey came from a local cincy car dealership commercial back in the day.
March 11, 200818 yr The saints actually took it from the Bengals. Who dey came from a local cincy car dealership commercial back in the day. I don't know that that's 100 percent correct. The way I understand it, Saints fans were doing the "Who Dat" thing back in the early '70s. I don't recall ever hearing "Who Dey" until around 1980 or so.
March 11, 200818 yr But, you and I both know that if the Browns were to ever just win the AFC title (forget about the Super Bowl for right now), their fans would burn down Cleveland with all the celebration!! They'd have reached a milestone in the franchise, and would want to brag. I was elated with a 10-6 season and NO playoffs. But its not like half of Lexington suddenly threw on Browns jerseys and then started doing a dawg pound bark in every Cincy fans face. Unlike what has happened with the Bengals after their playoff appearance. I think Bengals gear sold at a 400% increase and everyone started shouting Who Dey.
March 11, 200818 yr Even worse, we stole it. The Saints came up with it, I believe. Yeah, I was under the impression that the Saints started it as well.
March 11, 200818 yr Actually, the more I look for it, it looks like Cincy started it in November of 1981 after a game against San Diego
March 11, 200818 yr But then again, now I am reading: During the 1979-80 LSU basketball games. Late in the games when it was clear LSU would win, the black frat guys would chant with one yell leader and the remainder in reply. Leader: WHO Reply: WHO Leader: WHO DAT Reply: WHO DAT Leader: WHO DAT SAY Reply: WHO DAT SAY Unison: WHO DAT SAY DEY GONNA BEAT DEM TIGAHS, WHO DAT, WHO DAT I assure you, it was the 1979-80 basketball season and I was a 23 year old grad student. I did my undergrad in the midwest and never heard any of my Cincy' acquaintences say anything as ungramatical as "Who Dey". As a native of New Orleans I heard "dis", "dat", "dese" and "dose" all the time. That is just some guys comment on a story though so it is very unconfirmed
March 11, 200818 yr Actually, the more I look for it, it looks like Cincy started it in November of 1981 after a game against San Diego Here is another piece about the origins. http://bengalsjungle.com/whodeyorigin.html In 1981 the Bengals had changes that were new to the team. New Uniforms , a Super Bowl Birth and The Who Dey Chant. Today you learn the origin of the WHO-DEY chant/song. Rumors (It came from the Saints, It came from Alcorn State University, It came from LSU.) Today you learn how it got started, when it started and where it traveled once it became popular. It started in November of 1981. And following is the stepping stone to it's arrival. The Bengals were going up against the Steelers in the middle of October. Both had records of 4-2. The Steelers lost their first two games and then went on to win 4 in a row. It was the lowly Bengals playing the Super Bowl Champs of 1979 who was 9-7 in 1980. It was a big deal beating the Steelers because the Bengals already were defeated by co division leaders Houston and Cleveland who were 11-5 the year before. At that time Pittsburgh was the big game of the year. That and Buffalo who was 11-5 also in 1980. The Buffalo Bills game didn't mean as much because the Bengals only beat teams that had worse records than them in 1981 before that game. The first two games were against the Jets and Seahawks who had records of 4-12 in 1980. And Baltimore who won 1 more games than the Bengals in 1980. The Pittsburgh game meant more than all other games at the time. The Bengals Superbowl at the time. They won their Superbowl beating the Steelers 34-7. But the Bengals had a let down game following that game going against the Saints or (Ain'ts at that time). Losing 17-7. The future didn't look bright. Because next on the schedule every team had a winning record the year before. And the next 3 team were 11-5 after the 1980 season. First Houston who already beat us, then the Chargers and Rams. All three were in the playoffs the prior two years,The Rams and Oilers prior 3 years. San Diego was picked to win the Superbowl in 1981. Plus we had Cleveland again, who were 11-5 and Atlanta who finish 1980 at 12-4. Five of the teams had a total of 24 loses in 1980 Cincinnati went on a great run. After starting out 5-3. They beat Houston by 13, San Diego by 23 and Los Angeles by 14. The chant started after the San Diego game. Second game of November. The Bengals had 5 games in November and won all 5. Beating every team by more than 2 TD's. The Bengals only lost one more game all the way up to the Superbowl. That game was against the 49'ers who they also played and lost to in the Superbowl. The chant started, Who They think is going to beat them Bengals. ( Cincinnati was on a roll.they were 7-3 a season after they finished 6-10 and prior two seasons 4-12) When some hollered, "Who They think is going to beat them Bengals" Other fans would reply with "Nobody" A week or two later. The whole chant started to grow, and the nobody was stretched out to Noooo Boooooooody. Coming from an old car commericial of (Red Frazier Ford ) who was out of business at the time. But had a very popular commercial, Who's going to give you a better deal than Red Frazier? Nooo Boooody. Following that, the chant put was on a 45 record. Recorded by Cincinnati's WLW weatherman Who's first name was Zip
March 14, 200818 yr I don't know that that's 100 percent correct. The way I understand it, Saints fans were doing the "Who Dat" thing back in the early '70s. I don't recall ever hearing "Who Dey" until around 1980 or so. That's the way I've heard it.
March 15, 200818 yr I'm a Steelers fan. The 2 go hand in hand. :thumb::banana:WE DEY the 5 Time Super Bowl Champs! I went to the Steelers-Jags game this year and my favorite shirt was Steelers-The Good Baltimore- The Bad Cleveland- The Ugly Cincinnati- The Convicted!
March 16, 200818 yr I don't hate them, but the fans make it hard not to. That "who day" chant is the dumbest thing I have ever heard... :lol: If you went to an Atlanta Braves game you would change your mind!!!!:eek:
March 17, 200818 yr :thumb::banana:WE DEY the 5 Time Super Bowl Champs! I went to the Steelers-Jags game this year and my favorite shirt was Steelers-The Good Baltimore- The Bad Cleveland- The Ugly Cincinnati- The Convicted! How... HOW in the world can you be a pukesburgh fan and have tOSU in your avatar?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.