March 5, 200818 yr Wow, a Kentucky writer votes BCG coach of the year, shocker. All my loyalties aside, what has he done to warrant it? Hasn't he, if anything, not lived up to expectations, underachieved for a good portion of the season, and alienated his players? The talent may not have been elite but they are not horrible! First of all Pat Forde's track record speaks for itself. Hes been very critical of UK in the past. On several occasions! Second, ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?! If you look at UK's team, they aren't that great talent-wise. For the year we have had 3 players that can consistently score and that is it. 2 penciled in starters have played I believe less than half the games this year. Then if you want to look at SEC play alone, no one has done a better job with less than Gillispie. In 14 SEC games I believe we outplayed or played gave just as much effort as the other team 13 times. Vandy was the only bad conference game. Gillispie's players has improved tremendously over the year. If you watch a UK game, you don't see a bunch of players setting on the bench that look like they are alienated from anyone. He is getting the most out of his players. Gillispie has done an amazing job!
March 5, 200818 yr First of all Pat Forde's track record speaks for itself. Hes been very critical of UK in the past. On several occasions! Second, ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?! If you look at UK's team, they aren't that great talent-wise. For the year we have had 3 players that can consistently score and that is it. 2 penciled in starters have played I believe less than half the games this year. Then if you want to look at SEC play alone, no one has done a better job with less than Gillispie. In 14 SEC games I believe we outplayed or played gave just as much effort as the other team 13 times. Vandy was the only bad conference game. Gillispie's players has improved tremendously over the year. If you watch a UK game, you don't see a bunch of players setting on the bench that look like they are alienated from anyone. He is getting the most out of his players. Gillispie has done an amazing job! I am just being argumentitive here because I agree with mostly everything in your post. However I would say that Stansbury (MSU's) coach definitely could challenge Billy G for doing more with less. Honestly until Patterson went out, I would say we had more talent than them. I really don't know why people keep overlooking this guy for coach of the year, because he has done A GREAT job with his team this year.
March 5, 200818 yr I am just being argumentitive here because I agree with mostly everything in your post. However I would say that Stansbury (MSU's) coach definitely could challenge Billy G for doing more with less. Honestly until Patterson went out, I would say we had more talent than them. I really don't know why people keep overlooking this guy for coach of the year, because he has done A GREAT job with his team this year. I agree that Coach Stansbury has done a great job this season. I wouldnt go as far as to say that Miss St has less talent. They have much more talent on the interior, and UK does not have anyone who is as good a player as Jamont Gordon on the perimeter. Crawford and Bradley are great, but not as good as him. I can see an argument for Stallings, Pearl, Gillispie, and Stansbury. I can't see an argument of someone being that critical of Gillispie. IMO, in SEC play a lone, no one has done a better job than Gillispie.
March 5, 200818 yr Why can't they be playing their tails off for themselves? I know plenty of players that have worked hard and played with heart but hated their coach. I'm not saying one way or the other on the team's feelings of Billy Clyde (although IMO it's mixed... Legion and Mills aren't the only ones who haven't 110% sung his hosannas, but there are some that I think buy in completely.) I'm just saying that doesn't prove anything to me. Although I will agree Pearl COY hands down, and he is being a homer for saying different, I have to ask did you see some of these guys last year compared to this season? They defiantley play a lot harder this season.
March 5, 200818 yr Although I will agree Pearl COY hands down, and he is being a homer for saying different, I have to ask did you see some of these guys last year compared to this season? They defiantley play a lot harder this season.When you say guys, I can only think of one player that I think that is true of. And if he finally got the message after three long wasted years, good for Billy Clyde. But couldn't he just be a year older and finally a little wiser?
March 5, 200818 yr I also believe that Pearl will win the SEC-COY. Should U.T. hang on to win the regular season SEC title I believe that will be their first since maybe the days of R. Meyer, not sure. Anyway, U.T. has not been known at all for mens basketball since those days. At the first of the season I was already tagging A. Kennedy with that (COY) honor, I thought that the Rebels would make a run for te SEC title. Kennedy is one heck of a coach but seeing how Ole Miss declined I can't pick him this season. Stallings is the other top candidate I would think. This conference is full of good coaches and then there is (or was) J. Brady and M. Gottfried . As for BCG, he deserves consideration and now has this team playing very well, he made an "attitude" adjustemnt on this team (including one or two players in paticular that I never thought that I would see). Coming into a new job, putting his system into place along with his personality and how he handles players is a tough job for any coach (and his players). I don't thin that BCG is a COY of the SEC this season but imo he will get more than his share of that award in the future. I say that Pearl had better get us this season bc I think that they may be few and far between in the future .
March 5, 200818 yr This guy has BCG up for National Coach of the Year. Billy Gillispie, Kentucky – More than any coach in the country, I’ve enjoyed watching Gillispie’s progress. Two months ago Wildcats fans were calling for Gillispie to be ousted after Kentucky’s 7-9 start. But a victory over Tennessee kick-started a stretch in which Gillispie’s squad won nine of its next 10 games. The Wildcats were 10-3 in the SEC before their season basically ended when standout Patrick Patterson went out with a stress fracture. Not bad for a coach who inherited a team with just two good players. As well as: Tubby Smith, Minnesota – The Golden Gophers have gone from 9-22 to 18-10 under the former Kentucky coach, who seems re-energized since escaping Lexington’s spotlight. Maybe we shouldn’t be surprised. Remember, the guy has a national title ring, and it’s not like he bought it at a pawn shop.
March 5, 200818 yr It's no secret that the players don't like him. Now you are looking a bit foolish!
March 5, 200818 yr I wonder why some of you all mention Stallings as a candidate. Stallings is 4th in the SEC overall and behind Billy G and UK. As you said with Billy G. what has he done this year to warrant being SEC coach of the year. The top 3 candidates IMO at this point should be: Pearl Stansbury (MSU Coach) Billy G. I think that it is pretty obvious that it has to be one of these three at this time and one could make a strong case for any of the above mentioned. Approximately 99% of the posters who don't see Billy G as deserving seem to be either UK haters or Gillespie haters.
March 5, 200818 yr I'm a UK fan and BCG is no where near national coach of the year. I can see the SEC, I'm not buying national coach of the year either.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.