Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Barry Bonds

Featured Replies

Barry Bonds, the man with 762 homers and seven MVP awards, wants to play in the majors this season, which would mark his 23rd in the big leagues if he ever finds an employer. "Barry is not retiring. He's not considering retiring," Jeff Borris, the agent for slugger Barry Bonds, told the Daily News on Wednesday. "If Barry's skills had eroded and he wasn't able to compete at the major league level, he would take off his own jersey." Borris said Bonds is diligently working out at his home in Los Angeles, waiting for a general manager to come calling.

 

Think anyone will take a chance on him?

Barry Bonds, the man with 762 homers and seven MVP awards, wants to play in the majors this season, which would mark his 23rd in the big leagues if he ever finds an employer. "Barry is not retiring. He's not considering retiring," Jeff Borris, the agent for slugger Barry Bonds, told the Daily News on Wednesday. "If Barry's skills had eroded and he wasn't able to compete at the major league level, he would take off his own jersey." Borris said Bonds is diligently working out at his home in Los Angeles, waiting for a general manager to come calling.

 

Think anyone will take a chance on him?

 

Yes.

Let's see: A pouty, oft-injured, poor-fielding, slow-running, soon-to-be-convicted, pain-in-the-butt who most fans now hate and who will want multi-millions to play in 80 games. I think not.

Let's see: A pouty, oft-injured, poor-fielding, slow-running, soon-to-be-convicted, pain-in-the-butt who most fans now hate and who will want multi-millions to play in 80 games. I think not.

 

Let's see: the greatest hitter of all time. I think so.

I think he would make a great DH in the American league...:thumb:

I think he would make a great DH in the American league...:thumb:

 

I agree. Who wouldn't want the all-time home run king in the DH role?

Let's see: the greatest hitter of all time. I think so.

 

The "greatest hitter of all-time" (not that I agree with that) who is well, well past his prime and comes with a ton of baggage.

Let's see: A pouty, oft-injured, poor-fielding, slow-running, pain-in-the-butt who most fans now hate and who will want multi-millions to play in 80 games. I think not.

 

Sounds like the guy that plays in right field for the reds! ;)

I don't see him playing for what he's actually worth, therefore I do not see him being signed.

The "greatest hitter of all-time" (not that I agree with that) who is well, well past his prime and comes with a ton of baggage.

 

If you can get 30+ home runs out of your DH, I think you'll be happy - I don't care what he comes with. Everyone talks about how much they hate Bonds, but those same people still fill the stadiums up to watch him.

Some American League team will take a shot at him. I suppose there is some possibility that he may not get a team before the beginning of the year, but a contender will at least look at him on into the season.

  • Author
Let's see: the greatest hitter of all time. I think so.

 

I would not consider him the greatest hitter of all time. Homerun king, fine, but not the greatest hitter.

If you can get 30+ home runs out of your DH, I think you'll be happy - I don't care what he comes with. Everyone talks about how much they hate Bonds, but those same people still fill the stadiums up to watch him.

 

He'll be 44 years old this year and hasn't hit 30 HR's since the 2004 season. He and his montrous ego will still think he's worth well over $10M plus. The only attraction fans had with him was the HR record, which is now over with. He's a pariah, has no real fan base anymore, and is too big a risk given the perjury charges hanging over his head. Unless he'd be willing to take a fraction of his past salary (and he won't), I can't see anyone taking the chance.

I agree. Who wouldn't want the all-time home run king in the DH role?

 

Several teams. Would you want him if you were Boston with David Ortiz? How about New York with Matsui/Giambi/Damon? Cleveland instead of Travis Hafner, Chicago in Jim Thome's spot? Sure he'd be a better DH than say, Aubrey Huff in Baltimore or Cliff Floyd in Tampa but those teams are not going to contend and they've already got to play those players so why would you waste money on Bonds? Even Kansas City wouldn't work, they've got a ton of young players and signing Bonds would mean that Teahan or Butler would have to sit--that wouldn't help the team in the long run. If Bonds would sign for $2 or 3 million someone might take a chance on him. As it is contenders don't need him and he's too expensive and too big of a headache for an also ran to mess with when they can still be also rans with cheaper options. You said that teams would want the "greatest hitter that ever lived" (that was Ted Williams but I digress). Bonds is no longer that guy--take a look at his numbers last year and compare them to the A's DH, Jack Cust. Then compare their salaries, who would you rather have?

I only see him in a DH role, if any. Let's face it, MLB is a business and if some team can calculate a profit, based off an agreeable salary, than yes Bonds will play.

 

With that said, any teams that we think of, willing to take that chance?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.