Russell Trio signs with University of the Cumberlands

FBALL

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three great players I wish them luck, I guess it proves how tough it is to go Division 1 in football, thought at least Tyler Jones would get a look at a bigger school. Good luck to all they will make the Russell area proud I am sure. How many Division 1 players has Russell had?

Three great players I wish them luck, I guess it proves how tough it is to go Division 1 in football, thought at least Tyler Jones would get a look at a bigger school. Good luck to all they will make the Russell area proud I am sure. How many Division 1 players has Russell had?

Did you forget that we are in EKY? LOL!! Not too many deserving players are look at by D-1 schools around here. It's a shame. I believe Tyler could play D-1 ball somewhere. I think a Morehead or EKU would have been a good fit for him. Also, Congrats to Toby and Adam on getting a chance to continue playing on the the next level. Would have liked to seen KCU continue getting local talent with their big year coming up. Congrats to all 3!!!!

Did you forget that we are in EKY? LOL!! Not too many deserving players are look at by D-1 schools around here. It's a shame. I believe Tyler could play D-1 ball somewhere. I think a Morehead or EKU would have been a good fit for him. Also, Congrats to Toby and Adam on getting a chance to continue playing on the the next level. Would have liked to seen KCU continue getting local talent with their big year coming up. Congrats to all 3!!!!

Not knocking Tyler Jones because he is a great high school football player but IMO there is no way he is D-1 caliber. I dont think people realize the type of athletes that play at the division 1 level. People say that eastern kentucky boys get the shaft when it comes to being recruited by d-1 schools but the truth is, we rarely have athletes that are good enough to play division 1. You have to have the speed, size, and athletic ability to compete at that level. Arliss Beach and Chris Jennings are examples of kids who had the ability to pla at the D-1 level and I havent seen any players lately that were as gifted as those two and neither of them were great players on the division one level. Im not putting down any area players because we have some great talent coming through here over the years but I just wanted to say that some people dont quit understand the high level of talent that it takes to play with the big boys. I want to to congratulate these 3 good athletes on there college choice and let them know that whether you are competing at the D-1 level or the NAIA level it is still a great accomplishment because not just anyone can step onto a college football field. It takes a great athlete and a great commitment to play college football. Best of luck and study hard guys!

Not knocking Tyler Jones because he is a great high school football player but IMO there is no way he is D-1 caliber. I dont think people realize the type of athletes that play at the division 1 level. People say that eastern kentucky boys get the shaft when it comes to being recruited by d-1 schools but the truth is, we rarely have athletes that are good enough to play division 1. You have to have the speed, size, and athletic ability to compete at that level. Arliss Beach and Chris Jennings are examples of kids who had the ability to pla at the D-1 level and I havent seen any players lately that were as gifted as those two and neither of them were great players on the division one level. Im not putting down any area players because we have some great talent coming through here over the years but I just wanted to say that some people dont quit understand the high level of talent that it takes to play with the big boys. I want to to congratulate these 3 good athletes on there college choice and let them know that whether you are competing at the D-1 level or the NAIA level it is still a great accomplishment because not just anyone can step onto a college football field. It takes a great athlete and a great commitment to play college football. Best of luck and study hard guys!

I got to disagree with you on this one a little bit. Jones has the size, strength and speed to play at the D-1 level. Not to be elite, but play. Marshall or some of the MAC schools.

I got to disagree with you on this one a little bit. Jones has the size, strength and speed to play at the D-1 level. Not to be elite, but play. Marshall or some of the MAC schools.

I am a huge fan of Tyler Jones. I love the way he plays. However he will probably project as an outside linebacker or strong safety in college and quite frankly he is probably a little too short and too slow to play those positions at a D1 school. He is a great high school football player and will make a fantastic NAIA player, but I don't think he is D1 caliber. I'm not questioning his heart and character because I think he has a huge heart, especially with him playing banged up half the year, but he's not D1.

I think our area fans don't realize just how fast you have to be and how quick you have to be to play D1. Perfect example was Dontae Wright of Lawrence Co. He was a fantastic high school player and was much faster on the field than most in our area but when he went to Miami of Ohio, it took him several years to get on the field and he didn't become a full time starter until his senior year. The same could be said with Gerad Parker from Lawrence and Mike West from Lawrence who got buried on the depth chart at Marshall. All 3 of these guys were great h.s. players but it took several years for them to contribute at their respective D1 schools. I think the same will be said with Kasey Clark of Russell who went to Murray. If he stays with it and continues to work he will get on the field at some point and contribute but he will have to work and get faster and quicker to compete at that level, and I think Kasey is one of the best to come through this area in the last couple of years.

One more example is Dustin May who is a senior at Belfry this year. This young man is a fantastic football player. He's somewhere around 6'3 and 225 and can run but the D1 schools thought he was a little too slow and all he got was some preferred walk on offers. He ended up signing with NAIA power Georgetown and I think he will have a fantastic career there. He probably just isn't quick enough to play D1.

I agree with you on the strength and maybe even the speed, but the size factor is what I think kept Tyler and Several other very good players down through the years from competing at the D1 Level. Being at the most 6ft tall, doesn't get you many offers on the defensive side of the ball at D-1 schools, unless it is maybe at corner where if your 6ft or under you better make up for it with either "quickness" or "vertical. On the offensive side, again your looking at maybe RB or FB position. From being around Tyler, Tobey and Adam through this process, the highest ranked school that even made a more than passing glance at any of them was Hanover college at Indiana (Div III) and West Virg. Wesleyan (Div II). If Tyler, Adam or Tobey were 3 to 4 inches taller than I would definitely say a DIV I MAC school like Marshall, O.U. or maybe even U of Cincinnati would have been visiting us here at Russell.

But regardless of all that, these 3 have been given the opportunity to play at a very good school with a very good coach and on a team that is on the rise.

Congrats to them, and I can't wait to see them play again this fall.

I agree with you on the strength and maybe even the speed, but the size factor is what I think kept Tyler and Several other very good players down through the years from competing at the D1 Level. Being at the most 6ft tall, doesn't get you many offers on the defensive side of the ball at D-1 schools, unless it is maybe at corner where if your 6ft or under you better make up for it with either "quickness" or "vertical. On the offensive side, again your looking at maybe RB or FB position. From being around Tyler, Tobey and Adam through this process, the highest ranked school that even made a more than passing glance at any of them was Hanover college at Indiana (Div III) and West Virg. Wesleyan (Div II). If Tyler, Adam or Tobey were 3 to 4 inches taller than I would definitely say a DIV I MAC school like Marshall, O.U. or maybe even U of Cincinnati would have been visiting us here at Russell.

But regardless of all that, these 3 have been given the opportunity to play at a very good school with a very good coach and on a team that is on the rise.

Congrats to them, and I can't wait to see them play again this fall.

I agree with all of that. And you too 3 high. Jones height is the major factor in this I believe. I do think that his future is on defense at either safety or Outside Linbacker. And I do think he is big enough to play either position at the D1 level. With his speed I would think OLB would be most likely. His strength is unquestionable. Maybe the strongest player to come out of Russell.

I'm not saying he could go D1 and make an impact right away. I do think he could go D1 and compete for a spot eventually. Not major D1 and not be a dominant force. But I believe that UofC got a steal. I think he will make an immediate impact there.

I agree with all of that. And you too 3 high. Jones height is the major factor in this I believe. I do think that his future is on defense at either safety or Outside Linbacker. And I do think he is big enough to play either position at the D1 level. With his speed I would think OLB would be most likely. His strength is unquestionable. Maybe the strongest player to come out of Russell.

I'm not saying he could go D1 and make an impact right away. I do think he could go D1 and compete for a spot eventually. Not major D1 and not be a dominant force. But I believe that UofC got a steal. I think he will make an immediate impact there.

There is just not way that he is a d-1 caliber football player IMO. Even the guys that play in the MAC and C USA are outstanding athletes. Kasey Clark was a great high school player and he did not even recieve a full scholarship to play at the d-1AA level. Players who get scholarships to play D-1 or D-1AA football are in a different league then most of the guys around this area. Tyler Jones is a heck of a football player and I think he will have a good career at UC. I dont think he will make an immediate impact because even at an NAIA school its still college football and the players there are VERY good football players. All three of the signees from Russell are very talented but they are goin to have to earn their stripes and go through the growing pains of being a freshman in college. I think Jones will eventually play at UC and have a good career but I dont see him stepping in and getting significant minutes as a freshman. But he will do good things there eventually, he is to talented not to play at UC eventually.

There is just not way that he is a d-1 caliber football player IMO. Even the guys that play in the MAC and C USA are outstanding athletes. Kasey Clark was a great high school player and he did not even recieve a full scholarship to play at the d-1AA level. Players who get scholarships to play D-1 or D-1AA football are in a different league then most of the guys around this area. Tyler Jones is a heck of a football player and I think he will have a good career at UC. I dont think he will make an immediate impact because even at an NAIA school its still college football and the players there are VERY good football players. All three of the signees from Russell are very talented but they are goin to have to earn their stripes and go through the growing pains of being a freshman in college. I think Jones will eventually play at UC and have a good career but I dont see him stepping in and getting significant minutes as a freshman. But he will do good things there eventually, he is to talented not to play at UC eventually.

:thumb:

U of C was the MSC champion this past season and made the NAIA playoffs, these three young men are going to a good program and a good school. Congrats to them and the Cumberlands, I think they all are headed for success