Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rockcastle's New Head Coach-Scott Parkey

Featured Replies

How many of the assistants will remain on the Rockets staff?

  • Replies 52
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:agreed: No heat from me.

 

It is a fact, but it is a hard fact to swallow that we had a "sub-par" team, record-wise with Tom Larkey in his last season at Rockcastle. I understand your post and understand that you are not being a "hater"

 

You get a sub par record when you have sub par players. This team lacked everything my teams did in 99-02. I thought we were lucky to go 6-6. They were in every game but the 2 I couldnt go to and I am glad I didnt go to Bell any of those games. Only 5 seniors and only one leader, this was a team that wasnt very good but Coach larkey and Saylor got the most out of them and I was pleased withthe record, especially for who we played. Rockcastle was in ever game. Coach Larkey left a team with a lot of experiance coming back and I am sure those kids are getting stronger. There is no reason not to win 8 or 9 games this year because all of the players are back. I never played high school for Coach Parkey but I expect him to step right in a win a lot of games this year because he has a vetern team. I think as fans we should expect to win right away and often. It is up to this team to keep the winning streak alive.

Congratulations to Scott Parkey!!! And good luck to the football and the rest of the staff. Keep on ROCKIN ROCK!!!!

Is Tony Saylor staying at Rock or going with Coach Larkey? I always thought he was one of the best d-coordinators in the state.

Is Tony Saylor staying at Rock or going with Coach Larkey? I always thought he was one of the best d-coordinators in the state.

 

I agree with this, Coach Saylor is very smart. He will not be going to Harlan.

Congrats to Coach Parkey.

 

 

And Good Luck, remember it is tough following a legend and Larkey is a Rockcastle County Legend.

One thing confuses me as someone who has been around the Rocket program for a few years. We lost 7 starters on defense,( Burkhart, Abe Kirby, Scott Daughtery, Trinity Coffey, Brian Mize, Tanner Perkins and Sean Mchone ) the last 2 have probable career ending knee injuries. Our JV team won 2 games and wasn't competitive in most of their games. We didn't have enough Freshmen to even finish a schedule in which we had won one game

and were not competitive with the surrounding schools. We lost our only big play threat when Tanner Perkins was injured. He along with Jeff Smith who is a lineman are the only 2 returners who could run at sub 4.8 40 yard dash, and we have a total of around 30 boys in the program grades 9-12.

I am a fairly optomistic person and I will agree our coaching staff has a history of performing well without and abundance of talent. The truth is that you can no longer take an average team to Lincoln, Mercer, Pulaski and Knox Central and have a good chance of winning. In reality our schedule is significantly harder than it has been for 10-12 years because these programs have upgraded.

At the same time the numbers at Rockcastle have been steadily decllning the last 4-5 years . We kept about 55 boys out up until the last 4-5 years and our numbers , as well as other schools, have steadily dropped down to the upper 30's. The problem this causes is when a boy like Perkins or Mchone goes down you are forced to replace them with a young or inexperienced player who can't perform at near the same level. Hopefully the school and community will get behind Coach Parkey and his staff and help get our numbers back to where we can compete with the top programs. In todays world most kids will only participate if they are rewarded or made feel special for their hard work and success.

In my opinion it will take 3-4 years to see how coach Parkey is doing. Winning doesn't just happen and it will take lots of effort and some time to get our program back to where it was 5-6 years ago. I don't know how many game we can win this year but we need to be concerned with getting our numbers back up in younger grades. Until this happens the program will just keep spiraling downward. Good luck coach Parkey !!!!

Is Tony Saylor staying at Rock or going with Coach Larkey? I always thought he was one of the best d-coordinators in the state.

 

I think he's staying at least this year, beyond that I do not know.

I don't know a lot abouqt the situation but it seems like the first thing Coach Parkey will need to do is check out the Middle School coaches and see what the problem is. Of course if he can't look people in the eyes when he talks to them he will have a hard time instilling a lot of confidence in his team and his ability. I hope this is not the case as I would like for the Rock to be competitive. I am just repeating some things that I have heard and not sure if it is true.

One thing confuses me as someone who has been around the Rocket program for a few years. We lost 7 starters on defense,( Burkhart, Abe Kirby, Scott Daughtery, Trinity Coffey, Brian Mize, Tanner Perkins and Sean Mchone ) the last 2 have probable career ending knee injuries. Our JV team won 2 games and wasn't competitive in most of their games. We didn't have enough Freshmen to even finish a schedule in which we had won one game

and were not competitive with the surrounding schools. We lost our only big play threat when Tanner Perkins was injured. He along with Jeff Smith who is a lineman are the only 2 returners who could run at sub 4.8 40 yard dash, and we have a total of around 30 boys in the program grades 9-12.

I am a fairly optomistic person and I will agree our coaching staff has a history of performing well without and abundance of talent. The truth is that you can no longer take an average team to Lincoln, Mercer, Pulaski and Knox Central and have a good chance of winning. In reality our schedule is significantly harder than it has been for 10-12 years because these programs have upgraded.

At the same time the numbers at Rockcastle have been steadily decllning the last 4-5 years . We kept about 55 boys out up until the last 4-5 years and our numbers , as well as other schools, have steadily dropped down to the upper 30's. The problem this causes is when a boy like Perkins or Mchone goes down you are forced to replace them with a young or inexperienced player who can't perform at near the same level. Hopefully the school and community will get behind Coach Parkey and his staff and help get our numbers back to where we can compete with the top programs. In todays world most kids will only participate if they are rewarded or made feel special for their hard work and success.

In my opinion it will take 3-4 years to see how coach Parkey is doing. Winning doesn't just happen and it will take lots of effort and some time to get our program back to where it was 5-6 years ago. I don't know how many game we can win this year but we need to be concerned with getting our numbers back up in younger grades. Until this happens the program will just keep spiraling downward. Good luck coach Parkey !!!!

 

There arej lots of numbers there if you want to take back the quitters and kids that didn't want to put out the effort.

This is a problem at most schools in Ky. Numbers are down everywhere especially the rual areas. Kids just don't want to work.

 

If they have to wait their turn to play they will quit. We live in instant gratification society today.

This is a problem at most schools in Ky. Numbers are down everywhere especially the rual areas. Kids just don't want to work.

 

If they have to wait their turn to play they will quit. We live in instant gratification society today.

 

I agree, Leonidas. Bell County's numbers have been low the last couple of years, forcing the playing of freshmen and sophomores in greater numbers. However, there is a ripple effect. This year's Bell team will feature at least three seniors who are four-year starters, and several who are three-year starters. Add to that the number of talented freshman who started last year, along with the undefeated freshman and sophomore teams....the Bobcats numbers should improve. Older players got to play early and have stayed. Walk the halls any day at Bell and you will see many boys who are much larger than the Bell linemen.....but certainly do not want to pay the price in the weight room. Bell will have a strong, quick, and experienced team. Last year they slipped up against Lexington Catholic (numbers played a huge factor...since LC dressed nearly 100 players to Bell's 38). Catholic has to replace 35 Seniors....Bell loses 6. Should be a great season for Bell football and the continuation of the Bell-Rockcastle tradition. I look for the added tradition of facing PARKEY and LARKEY after next season. Rockcastle will never be overlooked by Bobcats......but we lost two games in 2006 on their field.....and this year we would like to win at Rock and then host playoffs again. Bell could have seven straight home games going into Regional Championship next year if they make it that far. Far cry from the 5 straight away games going into last year's playoff. We at Bell County wish Coach Parkey a great season (with a couple of exceptions! LOL!) in 2008!

One thing confuses me as someone who has been around the Rocket program for a few years. We lost 7 starters on defense,( Burkhart, Abe Kirby, Scott Daughtery, Trinity Coffey, Brian Mize, Tanner Perkins and Sean Mchone ) the last 2 have probable career ending knee injuries. Our JV team won 2 games and wasn't competitive in most of their games. We didn't have enough Freshmen to even finish a schedule in which we had won one game

and were not competitive with the surrounding schools. We lost our only big play threat when Tanner Perkins was injured. He along with Jeff Smith who is a lineman are the only 2 returners who could run at sub 4.8 40 yard dash, and we have a total of around 30 boys in the program grades 9-12.

I am a fairly optomistic person and I will agree our coaching staff has a history of performing well without and abundance of talent. The truth is that you can no longer take an average team to Lincoln, Mercer, Pulaski and Knox Central and have a good chance of winning. In reality our schedule is significantly harder than it has been for 10-12 years because these programs have upgraded.

At the same time the numbers at Rockcastle have been steadily decllning the last 4-5 years . We kept about 55 boys out up until the last 4-5 years and our numbers , as well as other schools, have steadily dropped down to the upper 30's. The problem this causes is when a boy like Perkins or Mchone goes down you are forced to replace them with a young or inexperienced player who can't perform at near the same level. Hopefully the school and community will get behind Coach Parkey and his staff and help get our numbers back to where we can compete with the top programs. In todays world most kids will only participate if they are rewarded or made feel special for their hard work and success.

In my opinion it will take 3-4 years to see how coach Parkey is doing. Winning doesn't just happen and it will take lots of effort and some time to get our program back to where it was 5-6 years ago. I don't know how many game we can win this year but we need to be concerned with getting our numbers back up in younger grades. Until this happens the program will just keep spiraling downward. Good luck coach Parkey !!!!

 

A brutally honest post!!!!!

 

But alot of school are facing the same problems, some coaches just seem to get the right (kids) number out. I look for the number to come up are Rock, as they seem to every time there is a coaching change at any school.

Why now does everyone seem to think this year wont be a success. We only lost 5 seniors adn Perkins probably wont play, Mchone will though. There is a load of experiance coming back. Rockcastle may not win the state but we should play every team to the wire. How many kids does Rockcaslte have out right now?

When does spring practice begin? I know if it snows there like it is here in lexington then there wont be a spring practice. I almost didnt think I was getting out of Dicks Sporting goods at the mall. There is alot of snow here in lexington. I would like to get to at least one practive this spring and see how they are going to look.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.