Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best Manager/Coaches in the 16th Region?

Featured Replies

Hoof does an excellent job @ Raceland. I played for Hoof back in the early 90's and I would still run through a wall for the man to this very day. Granted, he wasn't the head football coach at the time, but none the less, I guarantee that Hoof still puts in as much for the baseball team as he did in years past before he became head football coach.

 

As for the comment about how Raceland doesn't take baseball half as serious as they do football....well, I find that hard to believe. Let's just put it this way....when I graduated in 1993 we didn't have lights or a press box and we only had the grey uniforms and the black batting practice jerseys. Look at the facilities now....look at their uniforms now. Seems to me that if the schoool didn't take the baseball program that seriously, they wouldn't invest so much money into it. We didn't travel to Florida on spring break, either.

 

Sorry to rant on, but I know what Hoof puts into the baseball program and I know how much the school backs the program as well.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Hoof does an oustanding job at Raceland. He is not only a great coach but he is a great role model for his players. I know from my experience being around Coach Hoof, I learned alot about sports but I learned more about life and family. You cant put a statistic on what this man teaches his players, he is truely a class act. Raceland fans can be hard on him sometimes (especially on the football field) but they should be and I think they are, greatful to have such an outstanding coach in both football and baseball.

Coach Hoof does an oustanding job at Raceland. He is not only a great coach but he is a great role model for his players. I know from my experience being around Coach Hoof, I learned alot about sports but I learned more about life and family. You cant put a statistic on what this man teaches his players, he is truely a class act. Raceland fans can be hard on him sometimes (especially on the football field) but they should be and I think they are, greatful to have such an outstanding coach in both football and baseball.

 

 

You hit the nail on the head, my friend. I feel that I am a better man today having played 4 years of baseball for him.

You hit the nail on the head, my friend. I feel that I am a better man today having played 4 years of baseball for him.

 

ABSOLUTELY --- I can sure see that in the many guys that have graduated from there in the past 8 years. I would say there are many that feel as you do.

Coach Hoof is an outstanding man and coach. I know most of the kids would do anything for this man. He is like family to all his boys. Most of the players are with him more than they are with there own family.

I heard Rose Hill brought in a ringer from northern Ohio and are paying big bucks just to coach pitchers.

  • Author
I heard Rose Hill brought in a ringer from northern Ohio and are paying big bucks just to coach pitchers.

 

Not sure if this will help or matter. He cant play the game for them.:thumb:

I heard Rose Hill brought in a ringer from northern Ohio and are paying big bucks just to coach pitchers.

 

This is stinking hilarious, I know the coach, he lives in GC, moved here when he got married, a great guy who pitched in college @ U of SC. If that makes u a ringer I guess he is. and if a few hundred dollars is big bucks your also right.

I would hate to see what would happen in Ramland if they took BASEBALL half as serious as they do Football, Hoof is a great guy but I think he needs to step down and give some other people a shot that really wants to take this program to the next level. We have had several good players over the years and several have said that we need to move forward.

 

I don't think it's that they take football more serious than baseball. I think their are 3 problems with baseball at Raceland. 1) Most of the kids that play baseball have to play all 3 sports at Raceland which means they don't get to practice all year round like other schools. 2) their is more involvement from the parents in football for example raising money, fixing and improving the field, things like that. I have never seen any parents get really involved with things like that as far as baseball goes. football has their own boosters. They run around like a bunch of little army ants over their raising money for football and taking care of the field. Why doesn't baseball start a baseball boosters? 3) I think the coaching staff should take a little more intrest in the AABC league at worthington. For example how about a preseason camp for the little guys over their. Get them intrested in the sport. Have a coaching clinic for the AABC coaches over their. The Darby and the Morris guy over their have done more for that program than anybody as far as developing talent, but we need for all of the AABC coaches to be able to do the same thing, but so far nobody from the highschool has ever really taken an intrest in their feeder program. Numbers are really rising in the younger age groups over their. I hope somebody steps up and takes an intrest over their. Coach Vanderhoof is a good coach from where I stand. He has done great things with not alot of real good talent. Before you judge me and say that I am a football guy because of some of the things you've read here. I just want to say that my kids have never played football for Raceland.

Hoof does an excellent job @ Raceland. I played for Hoof back in the early 90's and I would still run through a wall for the man to this very day. Granted, he wasn't the head football coach at the time, but none the less, I guarantee that Hoof still puts in as much for the baseball team as he did in years past before he became head football coach.

 

As for the comment about how Raceland doesn't take baseball half as serious as they do football....well, I find that hard to believe. Let's just put it this way....when I graduated in 1993 we didn't have lights or a press box and we only had the grey uniforms and the black batting practice jerseys. Look at the facilities now....look at their uniforms now. Seems to me that if the schoool didn't take the baseball program that seriously, they wouldn't invest so much money into it. We didn't travel to Florida on spring break, either.

 

Sorry to rant on, but I know what Hoof puts into the baseball program and I know how much the school backs the program as well.

I am with you to a certain extent. I played in the 80's under Jody hamilton. We didn't even have a field to play on. We had to play in worthington on the Baberuth field. We called it the launching pad. As far as the facilities go now, The lights are the best thing about the place. The playing surface and the field itself are in sad shape. The backstop could fall on the press box at anytime, and last year the home dugout facade was rotting. Again though like I said before to me It's lack of parent involvement. When the work starts you can't seem to find anybody to help, but when the games start people come out of the woodwork.

I would hate to see what would happen in Ramland if they took BASEBALL half as serious as they do Football, Hoof is a great guy but I think he needs to step down and give some other people a shot that really wants to take this program to the next level. We have had several good players over the years and several have said that we need to move forward.

 

I don't think it's that they take football more serious than baseball. I think their are 3 problems with baseball at Raceland. 1) Most of the kids that play baseball have to play all 3 sports at Raceland which means they don't get to practice all year round like other schools. 2) their is more involvement from the parents in football for example raising money, fixing and improving the field, things like that. I have never seen any parents get really involved with things like that as far as baseball goes. football has their own boosters. They run around like a bunch of little army ants over their raising money for football and taking care of the field. Why doesn't baseball start a baseball boosters? 3) I think the coaching staff should take a little more intrest in the AABC league at worthington. For example how about a preseason camp for the little guys over their. Get them intrested in the sport. Have a coaching clinic for the AABC coaches over their. The Darby and the Morris guy over their have done more for that program than anybody as far as developing talent, but we need for all of the AABC coaches to be able to do the same thing, but so far nobody from the highschool has ever really taken an intrest in their feeder program. Numbers are really rising in the younger age groups over their. I hope somebody steps up and takes an intrest over their. Coach Vanderhoof is a good coach from where I stand. He has done great things with not alot of real good talent. Before you judge me and say that I am a football guy because of some of the things you've read here. I just want to say that my kids have never played football for Raceland.

On this I will totally agree with you as far as the Darby and Morris guy and the AABC. I know that the morris guy has offered to help the high school at different times but its was like they didn't want any help! I would like to see a lot more interest in the Worthington program. The thing about Hoof was this, over the last couple of years he has had spring football going on while baseball pactice was going on and was with the football team while the baseball team was working out, now he is helping with the girls basketball which takes away too! I think a lot of hoof but time means a lot when working with this bunch and he does not have a lot of it! They have 10 or 11 coaches on the football team and 2 or 3 for baseball.

  • Author
I don't think it's that they take football more serious than baseball. I think their are 3 problems with baseball at Raceland. 1) Most of the kids that play baseball have to play all 3 sports at Raceland which means they don't get to practice all year round like other schools. 2) their is more involvement from the parents in football for example raising money, fixing and improving the field, things like that. I have never seen any parents get really involved with things like that as far as baseball goes. football has their own boosters. They run around like a bunch of little army ants over their raising money for football and taking care of the field. Why doesn't baseball start a baseball boosters? 3) I think the coaching staff should take a little more intrest in the AABC league at worthington. For example how about a preseason camp for the little guys over their. Get them intrested in the sport. Have a coaching clinic for the AABC coaches over their. The Darby and the Morris guy over their have done more for that program than anybody as far as developing talent, but we need for all of the AABC coaches to be able to do the same thing, but so far nobody from the highschool has ever really taken an intrest in their feeder program. Numbers are really rising in the younger age groups over their. I hope somebody steps up and takes an intrest over their. Coach Vanderhoof is a good coach from where I stand. He has done great things with not alot of real good talent. Before you judge me and say that I am a football guy because of some of the things you've read here. I just want to say that my kids have never played football for Raceland.

 

I would agree that Darby and Morris have been the cog of Raceland Youth Baseball. Even with their help the Raceland Youth Program has dwindled, and that is because of the non-involvement of the HS Program.

 

I really couldnt tell you too many HS coaches that care about the youth programs. I have had kids involvement in 3 different youth baseball programs and they were Boyd, Raceland and Greysbranch. Boyd County cared a little bit. Greg Logan at Greysbranch was highly involved in all the teams in Greenup and Raceland has just a couple of people that even cared. A lot of the Coaches these days are more concerned about making money on the side for Private Training, then they are about the youth talent coming up.

 

BTW, I think Darby should be on the HS Staff. He is an excellent Pitching Coach.:thumb:

On this I will totally agree with you as far as the Darby and Morris guy and the AABC. I know that the morris guy has offered to help the high school at different times but its was like they didn't want any help! I would like to see a lot more interest in the Worthington program. The thing about Hoof was this, over the last couple of years he has had spring football going on while baseball pactice was going on and was with the football team while the baseball team was working out, now he is helping with the girls basketball which takes away too! I think a lot of hoof but time means a lot when working with this bunch and he does not have a lot of it! They have 10 or 11 coaches on the football team and 2 or 3 for baseball.

 

I will have to agree about the spring football deal. When you have as many assistant coaches as he does(And very knowledgable assistants at that) Why would you need to be there. As far as the girls basketball thing goes he has one daughter in college and one soon to be in college. I think he is trying to make some extra money for their education. I can't blame him for that. If I'm not mistaken They only have one JV coach as of right now. Who's going to help that poor guy this year? From what I hear the Morris guy is out of work right now. I'm sure other than looking for a job he has nothing to do. Why doesn't anybody ask him to help out a little bit?

I wish they would!!!!!! I cannot speak for them but I would say that they don't want to take a chance on splitting their money!!!!!I think Randy Morris and the Darby would be a great help to the program, but My opinion doesn't really matter, but all the schools BIG SCHOOLS the are good year in and year out has a lot of help, and thats what we need to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.