Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gillispie's way starting to work at Kentucky

Featured Replies

A very good read.

 

 

 

 

He paid nearly $1.5 million for a 12,000-square foot mansion that features eight bedrooms, a library, wine cellar and wet bar. Still, first-year Kentucky basketball coach Billy Gillispie rarely spends time there.

 

Especially at night.

"I don't cook," said Gillispie, a bachelor at 48.

Instead, five or six times a week, Gillispie pops in for supper at one of his favorite Lexington eateries. A steak at Sal's Chop House one evening, a meal at Malone's or Merrick Inn the next. While Kentucky coaches in the past have attempted to keep a low profile, Gillispie hardly allows his status as the city's most recognizable citizen to interfere with his social life. In fact, he scoffed when asked if the attention he receives – the autograph requests, the handshakes, the pictures – can become "a pain."

"Are you kidding me?" he said. "I'm embracing it. I'm going to live my life. I love life and, more importantly, I love people."

 

Here in Lexington, they're learning love him, too.

Finally.

It took a few months, but fans are beginning to feel good about the direction of Kentucky's basketball program under Gillispie.

Granted, the Wildcats are still just 8-9, and those dreadful home losses to Gardner-Webb and San Diego can never be erased from the record book. These days, though, they're hardly mentioned – not after Tuesday's win over No. 3 Tennessee and last week's victory over previously unbeaten Vanderbilt.

Kentucky basketball may not be "back," but, under Gillispie, you certainly get the feeling that it will be soon.

"Anyone that's watched the last three or four games has to be excited," said Tom Arington, a longtime Kentucky booster. "Billy is implementing a plan and its working. "The name of the game now is patience. If people can be patient, there are going to be a lot of fun times ahead in Lexington."

 

 

Coach Billy G.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wine cellar and wet bar?

 

Sorry, had to point that out.

 

:D

Wine cellar and wet bar?

 

Sorry, had to point that out.

 

:D

 

At least it doesn't say he turned one of the eight bedrooms into a secret place to hide and send text messages.

 

Sorry, had to point that out too.

I think its funny that all these guys like Mark Story and John Clay were bashing him a few weeks ago and now don't have anything bad to say because things are starting to get turned around. One problem I see is these sportswriters are more fickle than the fans! Ive heard guys with radio shows bashing him the same way. It is ridiculous to be really critical and not give Coach Gi a chance to build the program his way.

At least it doesn't say he turned one of the eight bedrooms into a secret place to hide and send text messages.

 

Sorry, had to point that out too.

Why would you have to hide to send a text message?

I just think Dave Baker needs to go. I sense open hostility in his voice during every pregame show with Oscar. I don't see him coming around anytime soon.

I just think Dave Baker needs to go. I sense open hostility in his voice during every pregame show with Oscar. I don't see him coming around anytime soon.

 

I like Dave Baker and Rob Bromley. Not necessarily because of anything theyve done that is that great, just because I remember them from since I was a little boy. I'm just used to them.:D

Why would you have to hide to send a text message?

 

OK you got me on a technicality. You don't have to hide to do it. But if that is the only way you can contact recruits because you are a rule breaker you should keep to yourself so your bad babits don't rub off.

Why would you have to hide to send a text message?

 

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OK you got me on a technicality. You don't have to hide to do it. But if that is the only way you can contact recruits because you are a rule breaker you should keep to yourself so your bad babits don't rub off.

What's a babit? ;)

What's a babit? ;)

 

Habit...But its basketball, so maybe its babits? :D

At least it doesn't say he turned one of the eight bedrooms into a secret place to hide and send text messages.

 

Sorry, had to point that out too.

 

:laugh:

 

Thats good, specially aimed at 98.:D

What's a babit? ;)

 

I looked it up in the Basketball Ethics Handbook. It means:

 

1. To lose a bonus

2. To lose a scholarship

3. To make 577 impermissible phone calls

4. Cheater

5. Rule breaker

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.