Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Middle Class

Featured Replies

I would suggest that to be middle class you have to be able to afford all of the necesseties and some of the luxuries and actually have a savings account.

 

I think being middle class means you can AFFORD to own a home, you may not own one, but you can AFFORD it.

 

I think it would be hard for a family of four making 60,000.00 to do all that. Not that they can't but it would be hard.

 

I have a couple of friends whose family have chosen for them to have one worker and one person to stay at home, they live on a teachers' salary and they do okay. They, however, have no luxuries and often rely on extended family for vacation etc. Nothing wrong with any of this and it is the life they Choose - I would call them working middle class.

 

Working Class I would consider those who live paycheck to paycheck, but are actually able to survive.

  • Replies 33
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it would be hard for a family of four making 60,000.00 to do all that. Not that they can't but it would be hard.

 

I have a couple of friends whose family have chosen for them to have one worker and one person to stay at home, they live on a teachers' salary and they do okay. They, however, have no luxuries and often rely on extended family for vacation etc. Nothing wrong with any of this and it is the life they Choose - I would call them working middle class.

 

Just curious, how much do you think teachers get paid?

Just curious, how much do you think teachers get paid?

 

I am a teacher, I know what they get paid . . .

 

They start around 28K now and by the time they have their masters (5 years) they are up to around 35k and by the time they have their rank I or board certification they are making close to 45k, if not more.

 

In Louisville, last year, as a 16 year veteran, I could have been making 56k as a social studies teacher.

 

I am an administrator in a small district (without the power of the JeffCo educ. assoc) so I make about the same as a highly paid teacher in a large district.

 

In some of the more rural, small districts the pay may be less, but the cost of living is too.

 

Just curious, how much to you think a teacher gets paid?

Just curious, how much to you think a teacher gets paid?

 

Not as much as you all should! :thumb:

 

According to the NEA, teacher salaries lag behind inflation, like many other lines of work and or professions.

 

The national average in 2005-06 was $49,026. CA had the highest average of $59,825, and the lowest were SD, ND and WV at $34,709, 37,764, and $38,284, I am not sure where KY falls into this, but I am guessing it's not near the top.

 

Plus, teachers in KY have that ridiculous insurance cost, which is much higher than in such states as Ohio.

BTW, Private School teahcers in KY, generally do not make as much as Public Schol teachers.:D

My parents were having a disagreement on the Bush tax cut. They were buying into the Dems PR department of tax cut for the rich, that was all it was.

 

They were dumbfounded and speechless to find out that my wife and I, two public school teachers, fit into the category of those rich people that was getting a tax cut.

 

I think it began to get them to not so blindly drink the Democrat kool-aid that Republicans were nothing but a bunch of rich people designed to keep their own money and hold down the middle class.

Not as much as you all should! :thumb:

 

According to the NEA, teacher salaries lag behind inflation, like many other lines of work and or professions.

 

The national average in 2005-06 was $49,026. CA had the highest average of $59,825, and the lowest were SD, ND and WV at $34,709, 37,764, and $38,284, I am not sure where KY falls into this, but I am guessing it's not near the top.

 

Plus, teachers in KY have that ridiculous insurance cost, which is much higher than in such states as Ohio.

 

I don't know what the bolded comes from as I don't consider mine ridiculous.

 

I do know one thing that is ridiculous. My school district in their infinite wisdom pays us once a month. It has been awhile since that December check on 12/22. Can't wait for tomorrow and getting that paycheck.:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa

 

Only thing better than a snow day is payday.:dancingpa

BTW, Private School teahcers in KY, generally do not make as much as Public Schol teachers.:D

 

It must be that you guys don't work as hard as we do.:D:p:lol::sssh:;):banana:

 

At least that is the reason for public schools not having as much success in athletics as privates.:sssh:;)

In 2006, the median household income was $48k.

I don't know what the bolded comes from as I don't consider mine ridiculous.

 

It was about a year or so ago I heard of it, plus it was cover in several thread here on BGP. Something about them wanting to raise the cost, maybe it was the deductible? The local papers compared it to Ohio's and KY's was much higher.

Twenty years ago as a teacher , if ust one taught and had one child that child could get free lunches , if both taught with 2 children , they could get reduced lunches. I think I remember this correct. I had been teaching for 18 or 19 years by then. It was right before KY teachers go the big raise.

It must be that you guys don't work as hard as we do.:D:p:lol::sssh:;):banana:

 

At least that is the reason for public schools not having as much success in athletics as privates.:sssh:;)

 

 

But wait...that doesn't explain the private school teachers' success record in the classroom! :p THEY do more with less! :D

But wait...that doesn't explain the private school teachers' success record in the classroom! :p THEY do more with less! :D

 

I really shouldn't, so I won't . . .

Ouch...let's not pursue the battle of "public vs. private" teachers. :creepy: We make a choice where we teach. The salary difference is not vastly different. I don't want this thread to end up in the public-private debate forum. ;)

I didn't mean to offend anyone...I was just responding jokingly to LBBC. I have a great respect for all teachers.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.