Feb 15 2008

CURTIS LOWE

Question to Strike 3:

I know a coach cannot do any specific baseball-related training prior to Feb. 15th, but that things such as weightlifting and conditioning are fine. However, I am aware of a school in which the coach is having a special instructor come in to work out with the players on infielding/hitting at the school and that it is even mandatory practices. It is not the actual head coach (or any of his regular assistant) doing this training, however, just so I am clear. I still believe this is in violation of the rules. Right or wrong? Can you site me the specific ruling on the khsaa website? Thanks much in advance.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question to Strike 3:

I know a coach cannot do any specific baseball-related training prior to Feb. 15th, but that things such as weightlifting and conditioning are fine. However, I am aware of a school in which the coach is having a special instructor come in to work out with the players on infielding/hitting at the school and that it is even mandatory practices. It is not the actual head coach (or any of his regular assistant) doing this training, however, just so I am clear. I still believe this is in violation of the rules. Right or wrong? Can you site me the specific ruling on the khsaa website? Thanks much in advance.

Not going to comment, on any school regarding alleged KHSAA violations. We don't want to discuss this, on BGP. KHSAA Handbook, covers all sports on their site.

Another question for Strike 3 :

Is Feb . 15 the first day to begin ,period .

OR

Can a school have "TRYOUTS" SAY Beginning on Monday Feb.11 TH .Then begin regular practice on the 15 th ?????????

If it involves Coaches, instruction or observation, Feb. 15th is the first day.

Not going to comment, on any school regarding alleged KHSAA violations. We don't want to discuss this, on BGP. KHSAA Handbook, covers all sports on their site.

If it involves Coaches, instruction or observation, Feb. 15th is the first day.

OK, what if I remove the part about already knowing a school is doing this and just make it a general question? I certainly haven't (and would never on this website) specifically name the school. But I don't think it's unreasonable to ask a general question about what type of training is permissible prior to the all-important Feb. 15th date.

Well I don't agree, But I am not the coach. I still think Martin should lead off. Just for the base stealing. If any thing.

I agree with you disagreeing. I would want Martin batting as many times per game as possible. That would be in the leadoff spot. I would never take the bat out of Carvers hands by hitting him in the 2 spot. The kid has never met a pitcher he can`t hit.

According to weather.com for Feb. 15th

High 44 with 30% chance of rain

As long as the rain holds off I say bring out the warm stuff and lets head outside.

At least it'll be above 15. Sounds like good weather for the 1st day to me.:thumb:

We didn't start anything until February 15th @ Raceland back in the day. We did a lot of conditioning in the first few weeks of practice. Some guys would work out on their own in the off season, but back then, that mostly consisted of lifting weights...there weren't too many places to get some quality swings in back then.

I know Coach Hamilton had a baseball class @ Boyd Co. when he was there and those guys were hitting, throwing, running, lifting almost all year round.