Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

BGP Presidential Primary Endorsements

Who gets your vote in the Presidential Primary? 53 members have voted

  1. 1. Who gets your vote in the Presidential Primary?

    • R-Rudy Guliani
      1%
    • R-Mike Huckabee
      20%
    • R-Mitt Romney
      9%
    • R-John McCain
      7%
    • R-Fred Thompson
      5%
    • R-Other Republican/Undecided Republican
      15%
    • D-Hillary Clinton
      9%
    • D-Barack Obama
      16%
    • D-John Edwards
      3%
    • D-Bill Richardson
      1%
    • D-Joe Biden
      0%
      0
    • D-Other Democrat/Undecided Democrat
      5%
    • I-Independent/Not Registered with Party
      1%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

The primaries are about to kick off and Kentucky will most likely be irrelevant by the time it gets to us, so I thought we could take some time now to make endorsements. Who do you endorse to win your party’s nomination? Who do you endorse to win the other party’s nomination (be objective here)? Go the newspaper route with an editorial or just list your reasons why.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everyone knows I am for Mike Huckabee and I will let the few threads that I have started on him stand for my reasoning.

 

But here is the rub, that is not my party's candidate.

 

I am a Democrat. Probably vote Barak in the Dem primary.

I'm registered Republican, but I'm unsure who gets my vote. It's between Huckabee, Romney and McCain.

 

If I had to pick a Democrat, it would probably be Bill Richardson.

I have a problem with this poll. Chris Dodd has more support than Joe Biden.

 

My vote goes to Chris Dodd.

Just to make sure my assumption is correct, are there any pro-life candidates on the Democrat side?

  • Author

After writing him off early in the campaign, I’ve come around on John McCain. I have always been a supporter of his and an admirer of his military record and actions, but I felt he wasn’t up to the challenge this time. However, after following the Republican debates and campaign, I’ve found him to be easily the most reasonable and sensible among the candidates. Although I don’t agree with him on every single issue, I don’t feel our disagreement is due to partisanship or him trying to ride the tide of popular opinion, but a genuine difference of opinion, which I can respect much more than someone who shifts positions or feels beholden to an ideology.

 

Campaign

Of course, he is a politician, and one running a campaign at that, so he’s been far from perfect according to the above, but I think he’s been the most genuine. He also represents the largest voting bloc in this election in senior citizens, which could help him later. On top of that, he had the best line of the campaign with his debate response “I was tied up at the time.” That was excellent.

 

Immigration

I’ve made several posts on here concerning immigration, so you can look that up if you would like. In my eyes, McCain has the most firm grasp on the problem out of anyone running. We clearly need reform in the system but we aren’t going to deport every illegal immigrant in this country. We also aren’t going to keep them out unless we allow them in legally. McCain’s support and authorship of a bipartisan effort to work on the system shows he can and will try to fix it, rather than the rest of the Republican fist-pounding ridiculousness of “build a wall!” or “deport them all!” that leads to the perpetuation of the status quo (I realize those quotes rhyme).

 

Iraq

I agree and disagree with McCain here. I feel it was a mistake to invade Iraq, and I would be thrilled to get out. However, I also feel a hasty withdraw will create further chaos in the region and our eventual return. McCain has been a staunch supporter of staying the course, and I have my reservations with it, but I do see the problem with a massive pull out. I think he is realistic here and isn’t merely beating a partisan drum. However, I don’t believe any other Republican (besides Paul) are for withdraw. In line with Iraq, I don’t feel he is in the mold of a George Bush in the realm of foreign policy. I think he his the best suited, among the Republicans, for reaffirming alliances and working multilaterally on international issues which is something we are in dire need of.

 

Economy, Spending, and Free Trade

Here again McCain is in line with my views. He’s pledged to use veto power to curb spending, which I think is something people forget when clamoring for lower taxes. He’s also against protectionism in trade and has been a firm advocate for it. I believe he has shown that he has a grasp on economic issues (as well as one can have) yet has not been overzealous in pursuing his desires.

 

These are a sample of the major issues for me, but a scan of any other issues will produce the same result: a finding of realistic, reasonable policies and opinions with the ability to get them done (read: bipartisanship).

 

I don’t believe there is a practice of doing the opposite of endorsing a candidate, but I’ll do it here. I “reject” Tom Tancredo.

I throwing my support to Barack Obama, but if he loses I'm supporting what ever democrat wins the nomination for the White House.

Just to make sure my assumption is correct, are there any pro-life candidates on the Democrat side?
I don't believe that there is, but Obama is as far away from a pro-life position as one can get. I think that trying to redefine the survivors of unsuccessful abortions as something other than human beings puts Senator Obama off the charts when it comes to the abortion issue.

 

Abortion is generally not a litmus test for me when I enter the voting booth. I will have no trouble voting for Rudy if he gets the nomination. However, I draw the line at infanticide and allowing minors to be transported across state lines to get abortions without parental notification. Obama is one evil dude in my book. :devil:

I didn't vote bc I didn't see a "none of the above" option.

I honestly have not heard anything from anyone....either party that really makes me want to vote for them. :confused:

 

The only thing that I am 100% sure of is that I will vote AGAINST Hillary Clinton at any and all opportunity.

Totally undecided...leaning Romney though.

When this started I was behind Fred Thompson, but he has sputtered to a halt and doesn't seem to have quite the grasp of the issues of some of the other candidates.

 

I like Mike Huckabee and I like John McCain for many of the reasons that Habib stated above. While some may look at me like I am insane for being torn between those two, it is something that I am pondering.

 

Even so, no one seems to be endorsing my "Land Mines" platform for border security. :irked:

When this started I was behind Fred Thompson, but he has sputtered to a halt and doesn't seem to have quite the grasp of the issues of some of the other candidates.

 

I like Mike Huckabee and I like John McCain for many of the reasons that Habib stated above. While some may look at me like I am insane for being torn between those two, it is something that I am pondering.

 

Even so, no one seems to be endorsing my "Land Mines" platform for border security. :irked:

 

Just wanted to point out that I have been promoting a Huckabee/McCain ticket for quite some time now.:D

 

And I too was intrigued by Thompson but since entering the race, he has done nothing to move me past intrigued.

I throwing my support to Barack Obama, but if he loses I'm supporting what ever democrat wins the nomination for the White House.

 

 

My kind of guy.

I am all over the board. I can't decide. A year ago, I told BGP I could swallow hard and vote for Giuliani. Now, his alleged buisness dealings have scared me off. Then, I was the BGPer calling for Thompson to get in. Now he appears as about exciting as dryer lint (though his policies still have appeal). A year ago, I told BGP that I would rather slice myself with a razor than vote for McCain. Now, I'm taking another look. 6 months ago, I told BGP that Huckabee was appealing on social issues but could never win. Now he can, but his tax record scares the heck out of me. Mitt Romney is the most 'true' conservative of the bunch, but I wish he would just answer the doggone question. I'm leaning Romney at this point, but some young kids came around to the office yesterday all fresh-faced and perky and trying to get me to pull for Ron Paul. Where in the heck did he find all these supporters?

 

For the first time in my history, I will probably be 'Undecided' right up to the day of the primary.

I am all over the board. I can't decide. A year ago, I told BGP I could swallow hard and vote for Giuliani. Now, his alleged buisness dealings have scared me off. Then, I was the BGPer calling for Thompson to get in. Now he appears as about exciting as dryer lint (though his policies still have appeal). A year ago, I told BGP that I would rather slice myself with a razor than vote for McCain. Now, I'm taking another look. 6 months ago, I told BGP that Huckabee was appealing on social issues but could never win. Now he can, but his tax record scares the heck out of me. Mitt Romney is the most 'true' conservative of the bunch, but I wish he would just answer the doggone question. I'm leaning Romney at this point, but some young kids came around to the office yesterday all fresh-faced and perky and trying to get me to pull for Ron Paul. Where in the heck did he find all these supporters?

 

For the first time in my history, I will probably be 'Undecided' right up to the day of the primary.

 

Unfortunately, with KY's late primary, 1) your vote may not matter; 2) your candidate choices will probably be seriously limited.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.