Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What's the call??

Featured Replies

You might have read about this in the Johnson Central/Montgomery Co. thread, but I wanted everyone to have some input on it. I have no idea what the rule is, so I want to find out. Here you go:

QB drops back to pass and is pressured. He scrambles and eventually ends up in the endzone. To avoid a sack in the endzone (safety) he throws the ball into the middle of the field at one of his players. The first person to touch the ball was an offensive lineman. He actually catches the pass and then drops the ball.

What's the rule?

  • Replies 31
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illegal Touching, 5 yard penalty plus loss of down. Maybe intentional grounding also if an eligible receiver was not in the vacinity of the pass. That one would result in a safety.

If he really did catch it and then he dropped it, it could be pick up and returned by the defense and they can decline the penalty.

If he really did catch it and then he dropped it, it could be pick up and returned by the defense and they can decline the penalty.

 

I had that EXACT handheld game (your avatar) when I was ~12. Had hours and hours of fun with it !!

 

:ylsuper:

  • Author
Illegal Touching, 5 yard penalty plus loss of down. Maybe intentional grounding also if an eligible receiver was not in the vacinity of the pass. That one would result in a safety.

 

If he really did catch it and then he dropped it, it could be pick up and returned by the defense and they can decline the penalty.

 

Neither one of these was called. In fact, NOTHING was called! I've talked to a couple of people and they say since the lineman who touched/caught the pass was behind the line of scrimmage, it's a dead ball as soon as he touches it. If that's the case, the rule needs to be looked at.

Neither one of these was called. In fact, NOTHING was called! I've talked to a couple of people and they say since the lineman who touched/caught the pass was behind the line of scrimmage, it's a dead ball as soon as he touches it. If that's the case, the rule needs to be looked at.

 

I had already commented on this on another thread but here I go again. I was at the game and nothing was called but there were 3 flags thrown on the play. Seems to me like this officating crew never had experienced this before. But should of been called illegal touching by the lineman and 5 yard penalty plus a loss of down. It doesnt matter if the lineman was behind the line or not, the play should have been blown dead as soon as he touched it and it wouldnt of mattered if the lineman threw the ball down or not. It wouldnt of been a safety because the RB was right beside the lineman who touched the ball. This was very weird play but it shouldnt of been a no call on the officials part.

Nothing wrong with checking on a call . However, lets get it exactly correct. The film clearly shows the Q.B.out of the endzone(two yard line ).

  • Author
Nothing wrong with checking on a call . However, lets get it exactly correct. The film clearly shows the Q.B.out of the endzone(two yard line ).

 

Really!? Because I was standing on the goal line, on the field and I'm pretty sure he was in the endzone. I'd like to watch the film though to see exactly where he let the pass go. Either way, it's still some kind of penalty.

Does the fact that the illegal touching occurred outside of the EZ preclude this from being a safety?

Does the fact that the illegal touching occurred outside of the EZ preclude this from being a safety?

 

Yes because the intended reciever was right beside the lineman that touched the ball.

I've talked to a couple of people and they say since the lineman who touched/caught the pass was behind the line of scrimmage, it's a dead ball as soon as he touches it.

 

That's not true, Illegal touching is a live ball foul.

Illegal Touching, 5 yard penalty plus loss of down. Maybe intentional grounding also if an eligible receiver was not in the vacinity of the pass. That one would result in a safety.

 

Yes because the intended reciever was right beside the lineman that touched the ball.

 

Is the penalty considered to be on the lineman or is it on the qb?

Really!? Because I was standing on the goal line, on the field and I'm pretty sure he was in the endzone. I'd like to watch the film though to see exactly where he let the pass go. Either way, it's still some kind of penalty.

 

 

Delirious is right he was around the two yard line when he threw the ball. Had a good view of it as well as the film.

That's not true, Illegal touching is a live ball foul.

 

You're correct on this one offside. It is a live ball foul and not blown dead when the lineman catches the ball.

That's not true, Illegal touching is a live ball foul.

 

So what is the correct call?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.