Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Russell 26 Mason County 21 (3A)

Featured Replies

This was a statement following a timeout which was pointed in the wrong direction, that almost made a difference in the game?

 

I can certainly understand the issue with the on-side kick issue, but I thought that was in your (russell) favor? If indeed Mason kicked the ball, Russell muffed it, whistle blown and Mason recovered, your favor. Due to the error of the IW, re-kick and someone said Mason recovered that one, not sure why you and everyone else feels that this officials mistake was deciding point in the game.

 

I looked up the crew, solid crew on the game. Guess what, MNF had a IW just this past Monday. It happens, unfortunately it did in this game. I am sure this official and the crew felt horrible but it does happen.

 

There was nothing wrong with the ref crew. Yes they made some errors in both teams favor. Sometimes we!!! and Me just don't understand the call on the field because the ref does not have a mic on. I for one thought that Mason had four time outs but it appears they only had three. All in all the refs did not make an impact on the final outcome.

 

I stayed after the game to watch the presentations and one thing that just stood out to me was Mason County Head Coach running around talking to each of his players. The Mason players although dejected showed a lot of sportmanship after the game. Thanks to the Russell and Mason county players for giving us all such a great game to watch. It was exciting from start to finish.

  • Replies 81
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-FBALL reply-

Because Pollitt and Cox great at running the ball. That is enough of a reason to me.

 

I agree FBALL!!

 

So why don't you tell us '1996' what you would have done. Its easy to second guess and 'speculate' when you're not the one actually calling the shots! Coach B has built one heck of a program at Mason Co. and it is because he, his coaches and players work their butts off year in and year out that they compete the way they do!!

 

And why don't we talk about that onside kick... did it twice in a row to perfection!!! Great play calling in my book.;)

 

Congrats on a great year Royals!!! You make the Ragin' Royal Nation Proud!!:thumb:

 

I said it once and I will say it again. That young lady knows how to kick an on side kick to perfection. Do the Royals have her coming back?

I said it once and I will say it again. That young lady knows how to kick an on side kick to perfection. Do the Royals have her coming back?

 

Yes...Her and her sister will be back.

There was nothing wrong with the ref crew. Yes they made some errors in both teams favor. Sometimes we!!! and Me just don't understand the call on the field because the ref does not have a mic on. I for one thought that Mason had four time outs but it appears they only had three. All in all the refs did not make an impact on the final outcome.

 

I stayed after the game to watch the presentations and one thing that just stood out to me was Mason County Head Coach running around talking to each of his players. The Mason players although dejected showed a lot of sportmanship after the game. Thanks to the Russell and Mason county players for giving us all such a great game to watch. It was exciting from start to finish.

That's just Coach Buchanan for ya. He's first class from start to finish and he tries to teach his kids the same. I know he cares for his players like they were his own!

 

Good luck to Russell the rest of the way!:thumb:

I went to this game Friday night and thought it was a great game, but I have a funny little non-football related story about it. Throughout the game, my buddy and I sat on the Mason side of the field. At halftime, we decided to get up and walk around to warm ourselves up. We stopped over on the Russell side for a second and a young girl (Russell fan) probably 8 years old or so, whom I had never seen in my life came up and asked if she could give me a hug. I didn't think it would be appropriate for me to be hugging a young girl that I had no idea who she was, so I politely said no thanks. She said, OK, I'll be back in ten minutes and I'll give you a hug then. She came back and sure enough, said can I hug you now? And I politely told her no again and my friend said, "He couldn't hug you anyways, he's a Breathitt Co. fan". This little girl froze in horror at the atrocity she had just heard and screamed at the top of her lungs "TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!". I was mortified as you should have seen the looks on the faces of the people around me. My friend was just dying laughing the whole time.

Nobody has mentioned it yet but Adam Foster played one heck of a football game. I believe he had 17 tackles, 9 solo and 8 assists. He made big hits on defense as well as offense and really played with more emotion than anyone else on the field. Good job.

 

I absolutely agree with you. From the opening warmups an 1hr before the game until the clock hit zero he was one fired up young man. Made several key hits (stop on fake punt, qb sack) and flat backed at least 2 or 3 Mason defenders on the sweeps and had the key blocks on both of bates TD runs.

 

I read/heard comments from the last 3 opposing coaches (Raceland,East C and Mason) talking about his strong offensive and defensive play this year. Too me it's always rewarding to hear your coach give you praise, but when the opposing teams coach also singles you out it is even more rewarding.

 

I know that he has been contacted and visited a couple of colleges this fall, so hopefully if he keeps up this inspired play,he could be fortunate enough to continue his career on the gridiron at the next level.

 

But first, Breathitt County.

 

But lest I forget, kudos to the entire team. Still have a couple of areas to short up, but survive and move on are the key words this time of year.

:rolleyes: Yes he did and by the way.... Russell still won with the mistake. Thought I might let you know that. Geeeez.

 

Now talking about more important things. Russell showed why they are Russell tonight. They are one of the most fundamentally sound football teams year in and year out that I have ever seen. That coaching staff could have made me a good football player. :lol: They are just that good.

 

The old saying is that "Tradition Never Graduates" is never truer in any program than in the Russell football program. As an outsider I am truly envious of what the folks in Flatwoods have accomplished. And you can tell those accomplishments have been done the old fashioned way. Good ole hard work.

 

Good luck Red Devils. Make our district proud.

 

This was a statement following a timeout which was pointed in the wrong direction, that almost made a difference in the game?

 

I can certainly understand the issue with the on-side kick issue, but I thought that was in your (russell) favor? If indeed Mason kicked the ball, Russell muffed it, whistle blown and Mason recovered, your favor. Due to the error of the IW, re-kick and someone said Mason recovered that one, not sure why you and everyone else feels that this officials mistake was deciding point in the game.

 

I looked up the crew, solid crew on the game. Guess what, MNF had a IW just this past Monday. It happens, unfortunately it did in this game. I am sure this official and the crew felt horrible but it does happen.

 

Not quite sure why you quoted me on this one.

 

All I was saying was that Mason did not get 4 timeouts as some of the Russell faithful were thinking.

My apologies for misunderstanding..... it happens too.... Thanks!

I went to this game Friday night and thought it was a great game, but I have a funny little non-football related story about it. Throughout the game, my buddy and I sat on the Mason side of the field. At halftime, we decided to get up and walk around to warm ourselves up. We stopped over on the Russell side for a second and a young girl (Russell fan) probably 8 years old or so, whom I had never seen in my life came up and asked if she could give me a hug. I didn't think it would be appropriate for me to be hugging a young girl that I had no idea who she was, so I politely said no thanks. She said, OK, I'll be back in ten minutes and I'll give you a hug then. She came back and sure enough, said can I hug you now? And I politely told her no again and my friend said, "He couldn't hug you anyways, he's a Breathitt Co. fan". This little girl froze in horror at the atrocity she had just heard and screamed at the top of her lungs "TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!". I was mortified as you should have seen the looks on the faces of the people around me. My friend was just dying laughing the whole time.

 

 

She got you too huh?

Yeah, it was pretty funny stuff

 

I don't know who the girl was but I finally just gave her a hug so I could watch the game. I think they were having some kind of contest to see who could get the most hugs.

 

 

Oh well, at least they were friendly.

Congrats to the Devils for the big win! I couldn't go to this one for a prior engagement, but I was trying to keep up with the score all evening. Looking forward to the next challenge, and it's a big one. We will soon find out just how good this year's Russell team is. I look for Ivan and staff to incorporate a couple of wrinkles for Friday night.

-FBALL reply-

Because Pollitt and Cox great at running the ball. That is enough of a reason to me.

 

I agree FBALL!!

 

So why don't you tell us '1996' what you would have done. Its easy to second guess and 'speculate' when you're not the one actually calling the shots! Coach B has built one heck of a program at Mason Co. and it is because he, his coaches and players work their butts off year in and year out that they compete the way they do!!

 

And why don't we talk about that onside kick... did it twice in a row to perfection!!! Great play calling in my book.;)

 

Congrats on a great year Royals!!! You make the Ragin' Royal Nation Proud!!:thumb:

 

 

I would have done what the Royals did twice when they scored. Put the ball in the hands of #12. He was beating the corner all night on that slant pattern. When safety started to creep up into the box he had the corner one-on-one and beat him like he stole something. The on-side kicks where perfection and takes alot guts to call those plays. My Question is, why take that big risk only to go conservative in Russels territory.

Maybe, my view was a little better from the stands.

 

One thing I want to make clear is that i'm in no way doubting the amazing job Buchannon has done in making this Mason County team into a legitimate contender every year. It just seems to me when Mason gets in a tight game they get away from what is working for that particaular game. The run wasw nit there in the second half, especially up the middle and Mason was not gonna beat Russel to the corner. Russel gave Mason the one-on-one coverage and Mason County failed to recognize that.

I would have done what the Royals did twice when they scored. Put the ball in the hands of #12. He was beating the corner all night on that slant pattern. When safety started to creep up into the box he had the corner one-on-one and beat him like he stole something. The on-side kicks where perfection and takes alot guts to call those plays. My Question is, why take that big risk only to go conservative in Russels territory.

Maybe, my view was a little better from the stands.

 

One thing I want to make clear is that i'm in no way doubting the amazing job Buchannon has done in making this Mason County team into a legitimate contender every year. It just seems to me when Mason gets in a tight game they get away from what is working for that particaular game. The run wasw nit there in the second half, especially up the middle and Mason was not gonna beat Russel to the corner. Russel gave Mason the one-on-one coverage and Mason County failed to recognize that.

 

 

The cornor never had anybody one on one. Russell was playing zone coverage.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.