October 13, 200718 yr Author I thought that Meeks looked very well. Seemed like Patterson has some work to do on defense, thought that the Williams kid used him a couple of times. Overall very exciting and looking forward to the start of the season.....
October 13, 200718 yr I was there, just got home. It was pretty fun. I'll talk more about it later when I'm not exhausted.
October 13, 200718 yr 23,313 pack Rupp Arena ... for practice http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3061354&sportCat=ncf LEXINGTON, Ky. -- For six months, the state of Kentucky has gone Perez Hilton on Billy Gillispie. It has driven by his new house (12,000 square feet, as reported in the Lexington Herald-Leader -- picture included). It has gossiped about his love life (he's a bachelor, and the current gubernatorial candidates have garnered less interest than who the coach is dating). It has checked into his background (there was a one-hour documentary on the coach -- "Billy Gillispie: Fast and Furious" -- on statewide TV during the summer). It has ruminated about his conditioning program. (Tougher than Tubby's? Tough as Rick's?) It has speculated on his style of play. (Faster than Tubby's? Fast as Rick's?) Friday night in packed Rupp Arena, Gillispie curiosity finally gave way to Gillispie reality. The euphoria was palpable -- even before the new coach of the Wildcats entered the building. There were 23,313 people in the house for practice. Allen Iverson would not understand. There were middle-aged men in blue wigs. For practice. There were college boys in body paint. For practice. "I've been waiting for this for about 10 years," said blue-bodied Jay Lawless, referring to the time since Tubby Smith took over. "There's one banner up there," pointed out his friend, Amy Thompson, aiming her index finger at the 1998 championship Smith won. "Won with Pitino's players," Lawless shot back. There was an 8-year-old girl named Courtney Taylor who drove 80 miles with her family from Latonia, Ky., to be here in a full, homemade Wildcat uniform -- head included. For practice. "We were ready weeks ago, months ago," Courtney's mom, Kim, said. "When they introduce Coach Gillispie the rafters are going to be shaking." She was correct.
October 13, 200718 yr It really seemed like the roar was restored in Rupp. What this guy is going to do in the next 5 years is gonna be sick. It seems like we have a lot of walk ons. - Joe losing 15lbs is gonna be vital for him and making it to the NBA and helping us out this year of course. - Patterson is gonna be good obviously. He is not really big, but hes tall and athletic and looks very strong. I think he will be to UK what Eric Hicks was to UC. - I really like A1... he is gonna be a good player. Excellent shooter. - Jasper it does sound like had microfracture surgery. He didn't look 100%. - Meeks is Meeks, he's quickly gonna become the fan favorite.. a much more athletic bigger Fitch. - AJ Stewart doesn't appear to have a mid range jumper. He looks like Antwan Barber, he can attack the rim but that's it at this point. - Stevenson did not look good in the dunk contest. I still think his offense is not close to starting potential. - Mike Williams looks like a project. With Bradley/Crawford/Meeks in the backcourt I like this team. Patterson is gonna have to make an impact early for us to win, and maybe by some miracle Carter is good to go and we can have a good post game. I really think this team is only a true center away from a legit final four contender.
October 13, 200718 yr Author It really seemed like the roar was restored in Rupp. What this guy is going to do in the next 5 years is gonna be sick. It seems like we have a lot of walk ons. - Joe losing 15lbs is gonna be vital for him and making it to the NBA and helping us out this year of course. - Patterson is gonna be good obviously. He is not really big, but hes tall and athletic and looks very strong. I think he will be to UK what Eric Hicks was to UC. - I really like A1... he is gonna be a good player. Excellent shooter. - Jasper it does sound like had microfracture surgery. He didn't look 100%. - Meeks is Meeks, he's quickly gonna become the fan favorite.. a much more athletic bigger Fitch. - AJ Stewart doesn't appear to have a mid range jumper. He looks like Antwan Barber, he can attack the rim but that's it at this point. - Stevenson did not look good in the dunk contest. I still think his offense is not close to starting potential. - Mike Williams looks like a project. With Bradley/Crawford/Meeks in the backcourt I like this team. Patterson is gonna have to make an impact early for us to win, and maybe by some miracle Carter is good to go and we can have a good post game. I really think this team is only a true center away from a legit final four contender. Nice post. Me and my wife were watching this and we had noticed that Jasper was limping somwhat going back to the bench.
October 13, 200718 yr Author Was Mogan there tonight? I know there was some uncertainty wether or not he would attend or go to UC's.
October 13, 200718 yr Was Mogan there tonight? I know there was some uncertainty wether or not he would attend or go to UC's. Morgan was not in Lexington. Solid night for BCG and the Cats. The recruit list was very impressive, and the crowd made the sales pitch. Meeks, Bradley, Crawford, Patterson and Legion are going to be enough to win a lot of games. Help outside that 5 will tell the story in the end. As a Gillispie fan long before it was "cool" I expect a very solid year from this group...
October 13, 200718 yr I thought Mike Williams was impressive tonight. He hit a few good shots near the basket with Patterson on him.
October 13, 200718 yr I thought Mike Williams was impressive tonight. He hit a few good shots near the basket with Patterson on him. I thought he looked slow obviously, and he was playing more with his back to the basket. You would expect a guy with his frame to be more of a rim wrecker.
October 13, 200718 yr Morgan was not in Lexington. Solid night for BCG and the Cats. The recruit list was very impressive, and the crowd made the sales pitch. Meeks, Bradley, Crawford, Patterson and Legion are going to be enough to win a lot of games. Help outside that 5 will tell the story in the end. As a Gillispie fan long before it was "cool" I expect a very solid year from this group... For the first time in what 5 years... other SEC coaches and big time coaches are once again afraid of what the big blue machine can do huh....? It's nice to be back, or at least appear to be back, a lot of work to do still.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.