Harlan County in 3A '08

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the consolidation of 3 schools makes them a 5A, then the sheer number of kids will put them near the top of 3A during that one year. Like Mercer, they will have probably a complete senior experienced team with alot of depth and skill. I don't see how Breathitt wouldn't have a problem with them as long as the coach wasn't a poor one. IMO

Would the 3 schools be Cumberland, Evarts, and Cawood? If so, that puts them with a bunch of hard nosed kids. Harlan is an independent isn't it? I'm guessing.

I agree with the Belfry post. It would be difficult for Harlan County to beat Belfry or the powers of 3A. But I do think they have a shot at making some noise. I mean you are putting together 3 schools that are decent and making one that could be pretty darn good. I think it will all boil down to who the coach is.

If Harlan county is smart they will hire a coach now and give him a chance to run spring practice and get these kids as much work together as they can. But if they don't come together for practice until July I just don't see them have a big chance at winning the 3A title.

Ya but whoever they hire at Christmas needs to start cordinating a spring practice between the 3 schools to build up some unity get some buses running to get the kids to practice or whatever it takes comes spring.

It appears as though the new school will get a very good coaching staff and along with some excellent talent from the 3 schools should put a strong team on the field next year. Both of the speedy backs (Gilliam and Simmons) from Cumberland will be back next year and will give Harlan County probably the best tandem of running backs in the mountains. I know that is saying a lot, but it will be hard to find a school with 2 backs with that kind of speed on the same team. Wow, that new coach is gonna love those guys and could build a pretty nice team around them.

They were taken out of the realignment entirely before it was approved. The stipulation was that the numbers would be reviewed this fall for a more accurate placement.

I thought that this was the case, but as was pointed out....

Then the stipulation wasn't followed.

It is a little interesting to put them in 3A for a year. Probably is the best situation overall for everyone considering contracts were signed on a two year basis in most cases. They should be strong in 3A assuming the kids pull together and make the most out of building the team.

A couple questions though,

Would the school then be placed in 5A or 6A for the 2009 alignment?

What are the enrollment projections?

A couple questions though,

Would the school then be placed in 5A or 6A for the 2009 alignment?

What are the enrollment projections?

I know the initial plans had Harlan County High placed in 6A, but I can't see that holding up. If they continue to structure the football system in six classes, I would think the new school would be one of the larger in Class 5A. Look for a district with Letcher, Perry, Clay and perhaps Whitley and North Laurel.

I know the initial plans had Harlan County High placed in 6A, but I can't see that holding up. If they continue to structure the football system in six classes, I would think the new school would be one of the larger in Class 5A. Look for a district with Letcher, Perry, Clay and perhaps Whitley and North Laurel.

That would make a lot more sense for many reasons than the original proposed district. Can you imagine making the trip from Harlan to Shelby Co. on a School Bus?....Geez..

They have about 5-6 seniors that start on O or D, plus the kicker, Earnest.

FB, Dustin May, is a Sr. Also WR Ryan Preston, DT Philip Hickman, TE Adam Bowens, OL Jimbo Stanley, WR John Young are starters. There are 3 other Sr contributors and OL Will Southerland who has been injured and hasn't played since the 3rd game of the season.

The nucleus of this team will be back.