Harlan County in 3A '08

They have about 5-6 seniors that start on O or D, plus the kicker, Earnest.

FB, Dustin May, is a Sr. Also WR Ryan Preston, DT Philip Hickman, TE Adam Bowens, OL Jimbo Stanley, WR John Young are starters. There are 3 other Sr contributors and OL Will Southerland who has been injured and hasn't played since the 3rd game of the season.

The nucleus of this team will be back.

Thanks for that info. They have just got a great thing going right now and sounds like they will be strong again next year. Dustin May will be a huge loss, he is such a tremendous impact player on both sides of the ball. I know they have a great team around him, but without him they will become a more beatable team. He is comparable to the Slusher kid from Bell County last year, but even a better high school player because he is such a dominant weapon offensively. Bell got very little out of Slusher on the offensive side of the ball.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears as though the new school will get a very good coaching staff and along with some excellent talent from the 3 schools should put a strong team on the field next year. Both of the speedy backs (Gilliam and Simmons) from Cumberland will be back next year and will give Harlan County probably the best tandem of running backs in the mountains. I know that is saying a lot, but it will be hard to find a school with 2 backs with that kind of speed on the same team. Wow, that new coach is gonna love those guys and could build a pretty nice team around them.

I'd guess T.J. Green will probably be in that backfield too.

I'd guess T.J. Green will probably be in that backfield too.
Yes, he will be a very nice power back to go with the speed to make one heck of a backfield. The Blackbears will could be very difficult to deal with if the new staff does a good job building chemistry with these guys. I think these kids will love playing together, and as for that group of backs there wil not be a better group of backs anywhere around. Belfry will have their hands full with this bunch next year IMO

Man I am loving this team next year more and more I think about it. With the ones mentioned, Gilliam, Simmons, Clark, Green, Smith, Helton and I am sure there are others, this team could be loaded with speed and talent. Now if we can put together the big uglies up front. The thing about this is, is that there is a real good possiblity that Harlan County could two platoon which would be crucial in a run at a title. I think that they would be able to two platoon. I get more excited the more I think about it. I too think the kids will love playing together. I just hope the parents will let go and let the kids bond and allow a new era of Harlan County football begin.

Go BLACK BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

Both Heltons at Evarts are seniors. Roberts is a junior and Burgan is a sophomore.

There's a lot of talent, but putting it together isn't easy. Cawood was pretty bad in six of its first seven years before taking off in 1973.

It would be awful hard to hire a coach now because all the coaches are busy with their season. I do think that they will hire one by Christmas or somewhere around that time. I would find it hard to believe for them to wait until summer to hire a coach.

I thought the new coach at Cawood would become the Head Coach at Harlan County.

Man I am loving this team next year more and more I think about it. With the ones mentioned, Gilliam, Simmons, Clark, Green, Smith, Helton and I am sure there are others, this team could be loaded with speed and talent. Now if we can put together the big uglies up front. The thing about this is, is that there is a real good possiblity that Harlan County could two platoon which would be crucial in a run at a title. I think that they would be able to two platoon. I get more excited the more I think about it. I too think the kids will love playing together. I just hope the parents will let go and let the kids bond and allow a new era of Harlan County football begin.

Go BLACK BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't count on Gilliam playing at HCHS, he lives in Letcher County and it would be less travel time for him to travel to LCC.

They have about 5-6 seniors that start on O or D, plus the kicker, Earnest.

FB, Dustin May, is a Sr. Also WR Ryan Preston, DT Philip Hickman, TE Adam Bowens, OL Jimbo Stanley, WR John Young are starters. There are 3 other Sr contributors and OL Will Southerland who has been injured and hasn't played since the 3rd game of the season.

The nucleus of this team will be back.

At the current time:

Belfry will be returning 6 starters on offense (this is assuming the standard single tight wishobe with one split end). HB Hickman, FB May, TE Bowens, OT Stanley, SE Preston.

Belfry will be returning 7 starters on defense (assuming the standard 5-2)

DE Bowens, DT Hickman, LB May, CB Preston.

What's not included is the fact that on Offense, Belfry returns TE Cory Coleman who is pretty much a fulltime starter with the ammount of Double Tight Belfry runs, Hickman is one of 5 HB's Belfry constantly rotates, and the SE position is a revolving door as well. Additionally, I see Thomas Varney or Timmy Lovern either one making a move to SE next year to maximize the ammount of snaps they see on the field. May and Stanley will be the biggest losses on offense, but both have very capable/experienced backups waiting in the wings.

Defensively, all 4 starters will be hard to replace, but once again Belfry will have plenty of experience from players who have seen the same ammount of PT as most starters, with the exception of maybe May's LB spot. Timmy Lovern sees the field an excessive ammount at CB as it stands, Gary Hall has seen a ton of varsity snaps at DE, and the Pirates will always have DT's that are more than capable (although Hickman is special).

Belfry will lose their Kicker Glenn Earnest, and May handles the punting duties.

Alot of teams may not want to hear this, but as good as Belfry is this year, they could end up being even better next year.

From what I have heard so far, Harlan County playing a season in 3A is far from a foregone conclusion. The circumstances that leads to this school's consolidation is quite a bit different than Mercer County. Harlan County is a consolidation in the truest since, whereas Mercer was more of a "mutual overtaking".