AROD's Next Contract

cshs81

I agree it is market driven and teams make a lot of money but I will disagree with the statement pro athletes earn those salaries. They deserve to make good money but 20-30 million a year to play a sport. I am one of the world's biggest sports fans and supporters but do not believe for a second that they deserve those types of salaries.

People pay big dollars for entertainment. And when it boils down to it, that's all sports are- entertainment. By spending money watching Yankees games, wearing ARod apparel, etc. he is just earning what his fair market value is. Is his job difficult? No. Is his job fun? Yes. Do we all envy him? Yes. ARod is good at what he does. Great, even. While it's ridiculous to make that much money to play a sport, he earns it because he's worth it.

While it's ridiculous to make that much money to play a sport, he earns it because he's worth it.

I understand what you are saying about entertainment. But no one is worth 30 million a year to play a sport. This is coming from someone who played HS and college sports and I coach now and attend professional sporting events but no one is worth that much.

...and he's earned it*...

*In a baseball sense because there's no one on the planet worth that much, unless you develop something to stop world hunger, cure cancer or AIDS. He deserves to be the highest paid player in baseball, by far...

:thumb: I agree - especially since you put it in the way you did, NO Athlete in any sport is worth the money that they are getting today. Not just from the Yankees but from everyone.

JMO (and on a personal note I would add cures for Heart Disease ALS, Altzhimers and Multiple Sclerosis the list as well ;) )

I understand what you are saying about entertainment. But no one is worth 30 million a year to play a sport. This is coming from someone who played HS and college sports and I coach now and attend professional sporting events but no one is worth that much.

It's in our hands how much he's worth. We make him worth that much.

Some keep saying "no athlete is worth that much"??? Obviously he is...If someone is willing to pay him that much then he is worth it. ARod is no different than any other professional. He generates revenue for the ballclub. Regardless if people like it or not...professional sports is business...BIG business. Now we might not like it or think its ridiculous...BUT...teams will be lined up to pay him...which means, "he's worth it".