Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

PCYFL vs LCYFL

Featured Replies

I think the feeder programs in football have really helped the Middle school and High School programs in Pulaski county. Who has the best League?:ylsuper:

  • Replies 49
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYFL... Summerset usually has nice youth leagues.

Last year was the first year that the county had a Pro-bowl (North All-stars vs South All-stars) after the superbowl (North Champions vs South Champions)..all County Schools. I believe the Senior Division Pro-Bowl County Team played the LCYFL (mixture of county and city). I'm not sure how the game turned out but I think the all County league won. Anyone with kids that participated who could verify.

Last year was the first year that the county had a Pro-bowl (North All-stars vs South All-stars) after the superbowl (North Champions vs South Champions)..all County Schools. I believe the Senior Division Pro-Bowl County Team played the LCYFL (mixture of county and city). I'm not sure how the game turned out but I think the all County league won. Anyone with kids that participated who could verify.

Both leagues are very strong in their own right. The local LCYFL teams are more concentrated with talent having only two teams in each class--pee wee, Jr's, and Sr's. The county league has many more teams in each class as their teams are built around the students respective school. Due to the county league talent more widespread I would give the one on one edge to the LCYFL if one of our teams (Jets or Bucs) played any one of their teams (Burnside, Southern, Oak Hill, Nancy, Pulaski, Shopville, Science Hill, and Woodstock-Eubank combined). It however would be very interesting if we combined the Jets and Bucs and then played either the South All-Stars or the North All-Stars. You would then basically have future Somerset vs. future SW or Pulaski. I do recall 3-4 years ago the LCYFL Jets playing the PCYFL Oak Hill team (which I do believe was the PCYFL Super Bowl Champs). The Jets won by 3-4 touchdowns if memory served me correct.

Actually, the Oak Hill team you are talking about was only the Southern division champ that year. Pulaski Elementary beat them by 3 td's in the PCYFL Super Bowl. That was the year Oak Hill was known as "Team X" in the City vs County game. Something about the PCYFL not allowing a school team to play a city team. I think they may have even used LCYFL equipment to keep from getting in trouble. Truly some very talented kids in each league. It will only help the local teams get better.

I think Jumper1 hit it pretty close. Since there's only 2 local teams in the LCYFL they would win most games against any single PCYFL. However, if you took an all-star team from each league (2 from the PCYFL) it should be a tossup most years. My son was on the Bucs so he didn't get to play against Southern that year but we played them in Middle School Tuesday and won a hard fought game in OT 22-16. We play Northern later this year so I guess we'll have a true "county champion" at least in 7th and 8th grade this year.

Your memory is correct. I do like the idea of Bucs Jets combo playing what would be the future Maroons and Warriors.

Both leagues are very strong in their own right. The local LCYFL teams are more concentrated with talent having only two teams in each class--pee wee, Jr's, and Sr's. The county league has many more teams in each class as their teams are built around the students respective school. Due to the county league talent more widespread I would give the one on one edge to the LCYFL if one of our teams (Jets or Bucs) played any one of their teams (Burnside, Southern, Oak Hill, Nancy, Pulaski, Shopville, Science Hill, and Woodstock-Eubank combined). It however would be very interesting if we combined the Jets and Bucs and then played either the South All-Stars or the North All-Stars. You would then basically have future Somerset vs. future SW or Pulaski. I do recall 3-4 years ago the LCYFL Jets playing the PCYFL Oak Hill team (which I do believe was the PCYFL Super Bowl Champs). The Jets won by 3-4 touchdowns if memory served me correct.

When my Dad was President of the PCYFL which lasted approx. 5 years he tried many times to get Mr. Ford to allow his teams to play against the PCYFL but he would never do it so if they are playing now I guess its a good thing he finally had a change of heart because both leagues are a great expirence for the youth and both have done amazing things as feeder programs into our 3 great schools.

I used to be the commisioner of the Frankfort Youth League and started the flag league they now have. I thought it was important to give kids at a young age a choice other than soccer. I think the ideal situation would be for the high school coach of the district that their feeder teams play in. Starting at the youth league and into the middle school have some influence as to the schemes run. Maybe not exactly what the high school does, but at least use the same terminology. A play is a play, but some use a number system and others just call plays. It would be great to have everyone on the same page,so high school coaches don't have to unteach things or break bad habits taught at an early age.

I believe there are county kids on the LCYFL as well as city kids and even kids from other counties so it really isn't just a Somerset team. The city does not play in the county league as a poster stated above--they represent their respective schools.

I believe there are county kids on the LCYFL as well as city kids and even kids from other counties so it really isn't just a Somerset team. The city does not play in the county league as a poster stated above--they represent their respective schools.

You are correct that some kids that live in the county play in the LCYFL but for the most part the Bucs and Jets are 95% all Somerset school children. My son plays for the Jets and as I'm aware we have maybe 1-2 county kids on the team.

  • Author

The 11 yr old pcyfl team defeated the lcyfl team 20-0 last fall.;)

The 11 yr old pcyfl team defeated the lcyfl team 20-0 last fall.;)

You are correct the score was 20-0 but they were playing our 5th graders. Not our 6th grade team..;) Due to large numbers going on our Florida trip last year we had 4 Viking teams instead of 2. I'f i'm not mistaken the team that the PCYFL fielded is now Northerns 7th grade team.

Does the LCYFL still go by grade to determine it's divisions? I think the PCYFL goes strictly by age, so if a kid is held back it has no effect on the divisions. I haven't been over to the LCYFL field for a few years, do they still have the 80 yrd field for the younger kids? I always liked that idea for the youngsters.

  • Author

:walk: I believe I made it quiet clear in the previous post that our kids were 11 yrs old, the same age that your kids were . Do you always have to be at a disadvantage ? By the way that was just our north team not the whole league.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.