July 24, 200719 yr Since we've had some good discussions lately, often about differences, I thought it might be good, and fun, to change it up a little. Share a favorite verse or passage from the Bible and tell why/what you like about it. I just have a couple of suggest rules to follow here: 1. Only one verse/passage per post. You can make as many posts as you like, but to me it's easier to read through the thread if you don't have a bunch all wrapped into one long post. Just a preference, I suppose. 2. Don't just post the verse/passage and leave it at that. Please give us a little bit about why it's a favorite...it doesn't have to be long, it can be brief. Just give us something.
July 24, 200719 yr Author So, I'll start it off... John 15:15 No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. That verse follows after Jesus says, "Greater love has no one...than to lay down one's life for his friends." So, it often gets overlooked, I think. It just struck me as an awesome thought, how Jesus calls us friends. And it's illustrated nicely with the example of his exalted position next to the Father, yet He has made known to us all that He has heard from the Father. It's a sharp contrast with how people in our world who have a prestigious position will often withhold things to keep their position...so they can always have a leg up on you. Anyway, that's the thought I was struck with from that verse.
July 24, 200719 yr Hebrews 11:1. "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." This passage comforts me. There are so many things about this world, my role in it, and God's oversight of it, that are above my pay grade. This passage reminds me of the scene in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" where Jones steps off of the ledge into seemingly bottomless ravine to get at the room where the cup is, only to step onto a platform hidden by an optical illusion. Total step of faith.
July 24, 200719 yr The motto for my 8th grade graduation in 1970 was "If I take the wings of the morning," I like the entire verse: Psalm 139:9-10 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. Whenever I give graduation gifts, I always put this on the card.
July 24, 200719 yr James 1:5-6 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not: and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing waivering. For he that waivereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. I am constantly seeking knowledge: how to be a good husband, father, role-model for my students/player and the list goes on. I have total faith that God will give me the knowledge I ask for. I know that faith is so important because there has been times in my life that I questioned my faith and those were the times I seemed to lose direction in my life. I read these two verses as much as possible to remind me that God is there to direct my life if I have total faith in him.
July 24, 200719 yr Author Good stuff. I like reading this. I'll give you one more for now... 2 Samuel 6:14 Then David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was wearing a linen ephod. If you're not familiar with the context, David has just retrieved the Ark and is bringing it home. The picture I get is that David is so overcome with joy and thanksgiving toward God that he can't contain himself, so he just throws caution to the wind and dances and whirls about to show his joy. He doesn't care what people around him may think, or whether his behavior is "kingly". All he cares about is serving God and showing how grateful he is. Later his wife criticizes him for his actions and he basically tells her that he doesn't care...he serves God from the heart, not by traditional or accepted standards. I wish I could be more like that...just quit worrying or wondering what people will think or say, and just do what I feel lead to do.
July 25, 200719 yr 1st Samual 16:7 "Man looks at the outward apperance...the Lord looks at your heart". That was written so long ago and it still holds true today. God knows everything about you and he knows your heart. Man is so quick to judge on what they see. This verse is just one line of a great passage. God told Samual to go to Jesse and annoint the new king. Jesse had 8 sons. As the oldest son came into to see Samual God rejected each son. After all of them had come and gone Samual was confused, no one was chosen. He told God..."There are no more sons!" God said "ask Jesse, there is one more". Samual went to Jesse and said "is there any more sons?"..."Jesse replied there is my youngest out in the field with the sheep" The son was brought in and Samual saw the dirty smelling sheep boy. "Oh Lord, not this one!". God said go to him and replied my favorite passage. 5wide great topic. I have another one for tomorrow.
July 25, 200719 yr Exodus 3:14.... And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
July 25, 200719 yr Philippines 4:13 "For I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." Just kinda gives me the confidence that I can accomplish anything that I want in my life.
July 25, 200719 yr Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthenth Me Galatians 2:20 I Have been Crucified with Christ and I no Longer Live, But Christ Lives In me The Life I Live In The Body, I Live By Faith In The Son Of God Who Loved Me And Gave Himself For Me
July 26, 200719 yr Do not let your adornment be merely outward--arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel--rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God. 1 Peter 3:3-4 Reminds me to be quite and focus on the inner person not the outward person.
July 27, 200719 yr I know that this one may be way over used but John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life... This makes you realize the love that God and Jesus have for the world... For JESUS to die on the cross for the sins of the world so we have a chance at Salvation and Everlasting life..
July 27, 200719 yr I like Romans 8:35-39: 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written: “ For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.”[a] 37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Appropriately written by Paul as he sat in a Roman jail.
July 28, 200719 yr Isaiah 55: 8,9 8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. 9 As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. I find this passage to be of comfort especially when life seems unfair.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.