Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ashland Post 76

Featured Replies

Don Hardin was the finest baseball coach I've ever played for. The 3 best summers of my life growing up. He was however a better person, taught you much more than baseball. I still stop by his home in Morehead from time to time just to catch up. If there ever was a man who personified the statement "he's forgotten more baseball than I'll ever know" it's Don Hardin.

:thumb: I'll agree. I respected him more than any coach I ever played against. Playing for him would have been great, playing against his team was not so fun. He beat us out of two straight State Championships as we went into the final game undefeated in a double elimination tourney. He always found a way to win and did so with class.

  • Replies 42
  • Views 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree and it would great to see, how many former Ashland and Morehead players, have gone on to College and the Pros.

 

Wasn't the Post 76, at one time in a city South of Ashland?

I am not sure how many but I agree there were several that played at the college & pro level.

I only remember 76 being at it's present site and playing at Central Park. We did play some games at the old Catlettsburg field. I played for 76 from age 16-18 in the 70's.

Bob Ousley my friend and team-mate went on to be a very successful coach at Cook County High School in Georgia. He played his college ball at Pikeville.

Johnny "Peanut" Lemaster, Tommy Deskins, Bill Gulett, Drew Hall, Jaun Thomas are a few from these teams I remember playing at the professional level. I am sure there were many more but with old age I have forgotten a few others:lol:

Doesn't '76 have college players on the team now? Darby plays at Pikeville College, Tolliver at Transy and Rowe has signed to play with Asbury this fall.

 

I remember years ago watching my brother, Donny, play at Central Park. We traveled all over supporting '76. It was a family outing every weekend. When my girls were playing in h.s., there were dejavu moments. I think they got their athleticism from their Uncle Donny.

 

Paul Lewis does a tremendous job with these boys. His passion is contagious and he puts loads of energy and thought into these boys futures. He is deservedly respected in the baseball community.

Doesn't '76 have college players on the team now? Darby plays at Pikeville College, Tolliver at Transy and Rowe has signed to play with Asbury this fall.

 

I remember years ago watching my brother, Donny, play at Central Park. We traveled all over supporting '76. It was a family outing every weekend. When my girls were playing in h.s., there were dejavu moments. I think they got their athleticism from their Uncle Donny.

 

Paul Lewis does a tremendous job with these boys. His passion is contagious and he puts loads of energy and thought into these boys futures. He is deservedly respected in the baseball community.

Tolliver is not on the team this year. But there are several players that will be playing college baseball on the team this year.

 

Matt Fyffe -EKU

Casey Branham-Morehead St.

Justin Blanton-Marietta College

Daniel Pugh-Morehead St.

Kyle Potter- Alice Lloyd

Greg Bowling-Asbury

James Barber-Asbury

Cory Clark-Rio Grand

JC Murnahan-Rio Grand

Aaron Rowe-Asbury

Darby-Pikeville College

 

 

These are some off the top of my head. I know there are more. There are at least 2 more that signed with Rio Grand that I am leaving off whose names are failing me, with more going elsewhere that I am forgetting as well. Someone please feel free to add the names that I am forgetting. My apologies to those players.

  • Author

Won the Boyd Co. tournament this past weekend going 4-0, next stop will be this weekend in Danville against some really nice teams.

Matt Fyffe -EKU

Casey Branham-Morehead St.

Justin Blanton-Marietta College

Daniel Pugh-Morehead St.

Kyle Potter- Alice Lloyd

Greg Bowling-Asbury

James Barber-Asbury

Cory Clark-Rio Grand

JC Murnahan-Rio Grand

Aaron Rowe-Asbury

Corey Darby-Pikeville College

Chris Barnett- Rio Grand

Chris Bias-Rio Grand

Austin Wright- Rio Grand

 

Here are a few more of the players going on to play in college. And I believe there are two kids on the team that will be seniors this year and they are: Tyler DeHoff-Russell, Caleb Rigsby-Ashland.

 

Congrads to the players! :thumb:

David Bentley will be attending Transy this fall as well.

I watched Ahland play some this past week-end in Danville and they do have a nice team.

I watched Ahland play some this past week-end in Danville and they do have a nice team.

Since you were at Danville, I have a question about Rich Witten. He caught one inning against Ashland. While I did not see him attempt to throw any runners out, I was very impressed with his warm-up throw down to second. Has anyone ever done a pop time on him, and does he catch any regularly? He threw a laser down to second.

That was the first time he had caught this year. He could the best catcher for his summer team

He might be the best catcher in the state, but its hard to catch and also be a pitcher.

In Shelbyville tonight Post 76 came from behind with a huge 7th inning to defeat the Oldham Co. Post 38 Aces by a score of 7 - 4. In the inning Greg Bowling had a bases loaded double to drive in 3 runs to tie the score at 4 and 3 batters later J.C. Murnahan took a 1 - 2 pitch over the 345 sign in left field for a 7 - 4 lead and top off the 6 run outburst. Justin Blanton worked 8 2/3 innings on the mound for the sixers and Casey Branham closed it out. Blanton allowed 4 runs ( 2 earned ) while walking 4 , and striking out ten and giving up 7 hits.

Shelbyville picked up an easy forfeit win tonight in the second game as Carrollton County did not show up. The sixers and Shelbyville square off thursday night at 7:00 p.m.

In Shelbyville tonight Post 76 came from behind with a huge 7th inning to defeat the Oldham Co. Post 38 Aces by a score of 7 - 4. In the inning Greg Bowling had a bases loaded double to drive in 3 runs to tie the score at 4 and 3 batters later J.C. Murnahan took a 1 - 2 pitch over the 345 sign in left field for a 7 - 4 lead and top off the 6 run outburst. Justin Blanton worked 8 2/3 innings on the mound for the sixers and Casey Branham closed it out. Blanton allowed 4 runs ( 2 earned ) while walking 4 , and striking out ten and giving up 7 hits.

Shelbyville picked up an easy forfeit win tonight in the second game as Carrollton County did not show up. The sixers and Shelbyville square off thursday night at 7:00 p.m.

Congratulations to Post 76. Justin is an outstanding young man, both on and off the field. Casey and Greg, along with the entire team, are fun to watch.

 

I wish the best for Reinbold and Francis, from Oldham Post 38.

He might be the best catcher in the state, but its hard to catch and also be a pitcher.

I didn't get much of a chance to see what kind of a receiver he was, but with the way he can hit and with the throw that I saw, you could very well be right. His throw was one of those "did I see what I think I just saw" throws. Very impressive.

 

Could it be that behind the plate is his ticket, rather than on the mound or at third?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.