Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Strike Zones

Featured Replies

I think what a lot Umpires forget is, they are there to fairly administer the Rules of play and not become, a part of the game.

 

I don't want my players, swinging at non-strikes, just because an Ump has widened his zone. It creates bad habits and forces a player, to get our of his normal vision, of seeing the strike zone.

 

Action is created by the players and not the Umpires.

Witnessed this during a tournament. Both teams were affected by the strikezone.

  • Replies 54
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Witnessed this during a tournament. Both teams were effected by the strikezone.
It certainly will and usually does, affect the teams and often, in a negative manner.

 

The Strike Zone, is just that....a Zone and not open for interruptive views, by an Umpire. Once the player assumes a "normal stance", than his horizontal strike zone is set and the vertical, should always remain the same.

Don't know about the 8th Region, but in the 9th, the men in Blue are all over the place. I have no problem with how the men in Blue call their strike zone, as long as they call it the same way throughout the entire game for both teams.

 

Hitters and pitchers must adjust, those that do adjust win, those that don't adjust, lose.

That's all that matters to me, it's hard to go through a 7 inning game when the ump is constantly changing the zone.

I think what a lot Umpires forget is, they are there to fairly administer the Rules of play and not become, a part of the game.

 

I don't want my players, swinging at non-strikes, just because an Ump has widened his zone. It creates bad habits and forces a player, to get our of his normal vision, of seeing the strike zone.

 

Action is created by the players and not the Umpires.

 

 

Action is only created by players that swing the bats.

 

I guess we just have to agree to disagree. Because you say you dont want your kids swinging at non strikes but I wanted my kids protecting the plate which meant swinging at borderline pitches.

Action is only created by players that swing the bats.

 

I guess we just have to agree to disagree. Because you say you dont want your kids swinging at non strikes but I wanted my kids protecting the plate which meant swinging at borderline pitches.

 

Why would you want your kids swinging at "borderline pitches", unless there is 2 strikes?

  • Author

It's been bad in the last 5-6 games that I have called. It becomes difficult for both the pitcher and the batter when they don't know what to swing at.

 

I do agree that the players need to adjust. It does seem that the "zone" is normal at the start, but around the 3-4th inning, it becomes very "liberal".

For the record, you couldn't pay me enough to be an umpire...

Action is only created by players that swing the bats.

 

I guess we just have to agree to disagree. Because you say you dont want your kids swinging at non strikes but I wanted my kids protecting the plate which meant swinging at borderline pitches.

 

Which is entirely your right to do so.

 

But when you're umpiring, they're not "your kids" and you are not the coach.

Consistent - the strike zone has to be consistent for both teams throughout the game. However, for pitchers its all about location, location, location. Teaching pitchers to adjust to the umpire and his strike zone (who/which changes every game) creates bad habits. Pitchers should be taught to hit the corners and knees, pitch inside and change speeds. These fundamentals are more important than adjusting to what the umpire thinks the strike zone should be that day. Unfortunately, some umpires, specifically those who come down from doing college and travel ball where there is more talent and have higher expectations, take control of the game. If the umpire remains consistent and transparent behind the plate, they have had a good day.

Action is only created by players that swing the bats.

 

I guess we just have to agree to disagree. Because you say you dont want your kids swinging at non strikes but I wanted my kids protecting the plate which meant swinging at borderline pitches.

Action is created, as a result of the pitch and not because of it. A pitch can lead to a BB, which can lead to SB's, pick-off attempts and throwing/fielding errors but Umpires, don't dictate action.

 

Swinging and protecting, is an entirely different discussion and especially with 2 strikes. My favorite term is "battle and protect", with 2 strikes. If a pitchers, is struggling finding the strike zone but the Umpire, increases it either horizontally/vertically or both, he not only hurts the batters but the pitcher, as most of the swings may be non-strikes, in a normal zone.

 

Thus the reason, a strike zone should never "deliberately" change. I'll disagree one step further, I want my hitters to develop a great eye, for the zone and not swing at pitches, 2"-3" off the plate.

 

Pitchers want you chasing as a hitter and Umpires, shouldn't mandate it.

What you are saying is fine. However, you are not the coach in these games. You are an impartial umpire who should fairly and consistenly administrate the rules of the game. No offense intended - but let the coaches coach and the umpires ump. I just don't see that as your role while umpiring.

 

I do not take offense to your comments. As a matter of fact I agree with you that coaches should coach and umps should ump. I don't know what I said that gave the impression that I was trying to coach while umpiring.

 

Right or wrong ( and probably wrong) in games in which one team gets way ahead the strike zone will widen. Its the same in basketball when one team is way ahead and refs ignore a walk, or over the back, or in football when a game is out of hand and an official will ignore a player lining up offsides.

 

 

 

I know this is slightly different but I have heard coaches tell the umpires "to have a big strike zone for JV games"

I do not take offense to your comments. As a matter of fact I agree with you that coaches should coach and umps should ump. I don't know what I said that gave the impression that I was trying to coach while umpiring.

 

Right or wrong ( and probably wrong) in games in which one team gets way ahead the strike zone will widen. Its the same in basketball when one team is way ahead and refs ignore a walk, or over the back, or in football when a game is out of hand and an official will ignore a player lining up offsides.

 

I know this is slightly different but I have heard coaches tell the umpires "to have a big strike zone for JV games"

Rules are in place for a reason and should not be modified, for any sporting contest to just shorten it. Football has the running clock rule, when the game is out of hand and Baseball, has the mercy rule....So if an Umpire wants to expedite the game, his priorities are entering into the contest.

 

Here's another question, for all of the Baseball fans....Have you ever seen an Umpire, who said "if the catcher drops a strike, I'll call it a ball"....I have and it infuriates me, to no end. I've requested clarification from him, as to which part of the NFHS Rules book, that is in....but that is his rule, which again, is not part of the actual contest rules.

Not to mention that if you encourage your kids to regularly swing at "borderline" pitches, you are dooming them to hit somewhere in the .200 area (at best). If I'm the pitcher and see a bunch of hitters swinging at pitches a few inches off the black, you can be certain I will forever live in that area and your hitters will be forced to hit everything off the handle and end of the bat.

 

But again, this is a coaching issue and you are more than entitled to pursue that philosophy. It just becomes a problem when you - in the role of an umpire - impose that philosphy upon other coaches/hitters.

Action is created, as a result of the pitch and not because of it. A pitch can lead to a BB, which can lead to SB's, pick-off attempts and throwing/fielding errors but Umpires, don't dictate action.

 

Swinging and protecting, is an entirely different discussion and especially with 2 strikes. My favorite term is "battle and protect", with 2 strikes. If a pitchers, is struggling finding the strike zone but the Umpire, increases it either horizontally/vertically or both, he not only hurts the batters but the pitcher, as most of the swings may be non-strikes, in a normal zone.

 

Thus the reason, a strike zone should never "deliberately" change. I'll disagree one step further, I want my hitters to develop a great eye, for the zone and not swing at pitches, 2"-3" off the plate.

Pitchers want you chasing as a hitter and Umpires, shouldn't mandate it.

 

 

You cant disagree with me on the bold part of the because I agree with you on that. 2 or 3 " makes it an obvious ball and I would not call that a strike. Umps that do that are probably trying to just get the game over with.

 

What I am talking about is a pitch that is borderline 1/2".

You cant disagree with me on the bold part of the because I agree with you on that. 2 or 3 " makes it an obvious ball and I would not call that a strike. Umps that do that are probably trying to just get the game over with.

 

What I am talking about is a pitch that is borderline 1/2".

With all due respect, there is not an Umpire alive today, MLB or High School, who can convince me with reasonable intellect, he can tell if a 2 7/8" diameter Baseball, missed a corner of a plate by 1/2".....No one, has that good of an eye and especially, not the HS ranks.

 

I'm with you on the eye but forcing batters, to swing at pitches off the plate, is not the role of the Umpire, but rather the Pitcher.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.