Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Strike Zones

Featured Replies

I have seen quite a few umpires that have given the players a very liberal strike zone.

 

Is it just in the 8th region???

  • Replies 54
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about the 8th Region, but in the 9th, the men in Blue are all over the place. I have no problem with how the men in Blue call their strike zone, as long as they call it the same way throughout the entire game for both teams.

 

Hitters and pitchers must adjust, those that do adjust win, those that don't adjust, lose.

Hitters and pitchers must adjust, those that do adjust win, those that don't adjust, lose.

 

 

No truer words have ever been spoken on this board. This is probably the toughest lesson a young hitter/pitcher must learn.

Don't know about the 8th Region, but in the 9th, the men in Blue are all over the place. I have no problem with how the men in Blue call their strike zone, as long as they call it the same way throughout the entire game for both teams.

 

Hitters and pitchers must adjust, those that do adjust win, those that don't adjust, lose.

Agreed and zones vary, along with consistency. All can be asked, is for both teams to get the same zone. I have the utmost respect, for Umpires who work, because they passion for Baseball and not just about a check.

 

Like BD77 said, pitchers and hitters adjust to zone of the Umpire.

Right or wrong the strike zone can change in a game. Early in a game my strike zone is pretty legit. But if a team gets ahead by 8 or 9 runs their hitters had better come up with intention of swinging the bat. And a pitch that is a borderline ball in the first inning is a strike in the later innings in these types of games.

 

Also My strike zone is not a square. A pitch that is just off the plate that is waist high will be called a strike, and if it was knee high it would be called a ball.

 

Good pitchers make Umpires Good.

It is definitely a game-changer. As a former pitcher, there was nothing more frustrating than not being given the knees. Thigh-high fastballs can sometimes have a tendency to travel great distances. :cry: But if that's what you are given to work with, then you make the adjustment and go on. The single biggest factor is consistency by the ump - as long as both pitchers are forced to pitch into the other team's wheelhouse, it's fair.

Right or wrong the strike zone can change in a game. Early in a game my strike zone is pretty legit. But if a team gets ahead by 8 or 9 runs their hitters had better come up with intention of swinging the bat. And a pitch that is a borderline ball in the first inning is a strike in the later innings in these types of games.

 

Also My strike zone is not a square. A pitch that is just off the plate that is waist high will be called a strike, and if it was knee high it would be called a ball.

 

Good pitchers make Umpires Good.

With all due respect, that is where I disagree with Umpires, changing zones. Is the point, to get the game over quickly, or to fairly administer the Rules.

 

When teams get leads, non-starters will often be inserted and those AB's, are extremely important to them and the zone, shouldn't widen because one team is ahead.

 

I'm not picking on you, just responding to the point and I've seen, many, many Umpires have this same approach. I've never liked it and don't understand the concept, because if a team is 8-9 runs ahead, the game will likely end early anyway, so just keep the same zone.

With all due respect, that is where I disagree with Umpires, changing zones. Is the point, to get the game over quickly, or to fairly administer the Rules.

 

When teams get leads, non-starters will often be inserted and those AB's, are extremely important to them and the zone, shouldn't widen because one team is ahead.

 

I'm not picking on you, just responding to the point and I've seen, many, many Umpires have this same approach. I've never liked it and don't understand the concept, because if a team is 8-9 runs ahead, the game will likely end early anyway, so just keep the same zone.

 

I agree with this S3 .I have been on both sides of the collapse where the losing team wins this game also .It is not fair to the subs to face a bigger zone .

I've attended a few games this year (maybe 10) and pitchers are not getting calls at the knees. Yes, you have to adjust, but I imagine that it's frustrating as a pitcher to see those low strikes called balls on a regular basis.

STRIKE3 i can appreciate your side of this topic.

 

I have coached and I have umpired. And in these types games I think players need to come to the plate being aggressive. With me its not really trying to get the game over with as much as its trying to have action in the game. Walks are boring and in my opinion do not make players better?

 

I have seen some umps that call strikes " chin to shin" as they say. I try not to do that. However If a kid comes to plate looking to walk and the pitch is borderline I am going to call him out everytime. As a coach I told my subs to be aggressive at the plate. When I played the game we were taught to protect the plate. We were taught to foul off borderline pitches. In these types of games when there is a 3-0 count and the pitcher serves up a fast ball right down the gut and a kid takes the pitch it just amazes me. When I played in games that were not very close I would often swing at ball 4 so I could have another pitch to look at.

 

Also when I coached and I was up by 5 or 6 runs in the latter innings I told my pitchers to go at the batter. Challenge them. Throw ground balls or pop ups. Let the defense make plays behind you.

 

 

When pitchers throw strikes, umpiring is easy...when they dont, thats when its hard.

With all due respect Hector, that is the problem with SOME umpires. The strike zone is NOT a subjective matter. It is what it is and should be called as such. You want to make players better? Quit adjusting the strike zone for whatever your rationale might be and provide consistency so hitters DO know what a strike is. Bailing out a struggling pitcher because an umpire feels hitters should be aggressive gives an advantage to the pitcher he shouldn't have. I agree players must adjust, absolutely, but they shouldn't have to adjust from one inning to the next at the discretion of the official working the plate. Establish what is a strike today early in the games, but don't change under any circumstances. Being bored surely shouldn't make a difference in how an impartial judge makes his calls.

With all due respect Hector, that is the problem with SOME umpires. The strike zone is NOT a subjective matter. It is what it is and should be called as such. You want to make players better? Quit adjusting the strike zone for whatever your rationale might be and provide consistency so hitters DO know what a strike is. Bailing out a struggling pitcher because an umpire feels hitters should be aggressive gives an advantage to the pitcher he shouldn't have. I agree players must adjust, absolutely, but they shouldn't have to adjust from one inning to the next at the discretion of the official working the plate. Establish what is a strike today early in the games, but don't change under any circumstances. Being bored surely shouldn't make a difference in how an impartial judge makes his calls.

 

Truer words were never spoken. Adjusting from game to game is one thing and entirely acceptable/expected - adjusting from inning to inning or maybe even pitch to pitch is altogether different. And unfair.

I have seen some umps that call strikes " chin to shin" as they say. I try not to do that. However If a kid comes to plate looking to walk and the pitch is borderline I am going to call him out everytime. As a coach I told my subs to be aggressive at the plate. When I played the game we were taught to protect the plate.

 

Also when I coached and I was up by 5 or 6 runs in the latter innings I told my pitchers to go at the batter. Challenge them. Throw ground balls or pop ups. Let the defense make plays behind you.

 

What you are saying is fine. However, you are not the coach in these games. You are an impartial umpire who should fairly and consistenly administrate the rules of the game. No offense intended - but let the coaches coach and the umpires ump. I just don't see that as your role while umpiring.

I've seen varied strikezones this season, and like Theoldguy said, "You must adjust." If the ump is consistent, he's fine. Some like the outside more than the inside and vice-versa. If your team adjusts, then you'll be fine.

STRIKE3 i can appreciate your side of this topic.

 

I have coached and I have umpired. And in these types games I think players need to come to the plate being aggressive. With me its not really trying to get the game over with as much as its trying to have action in the game. Walks are boring and in my opinion do not make players better?

 

I have seen some umps that call strikes " chin to shin" as they say. I try not to do that. However If a kid comes to plate looking to walk and the pitch is borderline I am going to call him out everytime. As a coach I told my subs to be aggressive at the plate. When I played the game we were taught to protect the plate. We were taught to foul off borderline pitches. In these types of games when there is a 3-0 count and the pitcher serves up a fast ball right down the gut and a kid takes the pitch it just amazes me. When I played in games that were not very close I would often swing at ball 4 so I could have another pitch to look at.

 

Also when I coached and I was up by 5 or 6 runs in the latter innings I told my pitchers to go at the batter. Challenge them. Throw ground balls or pop ups. Let the defense make plays behind you.

 

 

When pitchers throw strikes, umpiring is easy...when they don't, thats when its hard.

I think what a lot Umpires forget is, they are there to fairly administer the Rules of play and not become, a part of the game.

 

I don't want my players, swinging at non-strikes, just because an Ump has widened his zone. It creates bad habits and forces a player, to get our of his normal vision, of seeing the strike zone.

 

Action is created by the players and not the Umpires.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.